Sign in to follow this  
fan1775

Gerry Davis pants

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere before, so sorry for asking again...a quick search yielded no easily found result...

Anyway, getting ready to buy a new pair of Gerry Davis combo pants and have a question about the waist size. I wear a 32-33 in most khakis/shorts and have a 34 in my Smitty's umpire pants, which are PLENTY big enough. I know the GD pants have some "give" in them, so for you guys who have them, do you recommend a 32 or 34?

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere before, so sorry for asking again...a quick search yielded no easily found result...

Anyway, getting ready to buy a new pair of Gerry Davis combo pants and have a question about the waist size. I wear a 32-33 in most khakis/shorts and have a 34 in my Smitty's umpire pants, which are PLENTY big enough. I know the GD pants have some "give" in them, so for you guys who have them, do you recommend a 32 or 34?

i have 4 pair of GD charcoal pants (2) combo , which can be used for base , though a little baggy , and (2) pair base which look and fit like a nice dress slack out on the diamond . in a levi jean i can wear 38 or 40 depending on which levi # jean . in most other slacks ect.... a 40 . in the GD combo i wear 38 and in a base 40 . all GD pants have several inches of elastic on the sides that "flex" with you . depending on which pant type you get , hope this helps a little ? btw they are very comfortable , if there is a breeze it will go through the pant and in warm weather they are comfortable to me:cheers: . also they are very easy to care for , just wash according to the label . no dry clean, they keep there shape , and crease every time after the wash:cheers: . in my umpire area this is what almost every one wears .

d62 blue

I have 36s in plate and base. Gerry Davis pants are very good quality and will last you a while. They do have some give, as you said. If I were you, I would take the 34s.

What you can do is order what you think the best size would be, try them on before you hem them and if they don't work out for you, send them back for a different size. Customer supports for them is pretty good in my experience.

i'm a 34 waist in just about everything. i have 34s in both plate and base. they fit great and have a little wiggle room for extra layers when its cold.

I wear a 34" waist in almost everything, and the 36" GD pants fit fine. I have a pair of combo, and plates from Mr. Davis.

That said, I'll probably be putting them on eBay, after wearing the Honig's polywool slacks for the last two months. It's not even close.

Save your money, get real plate and base pants, and make them the Honig's. Then thank me latter.

Trust me on this. Last year, at this time, I was wearing the GD combos. No more.

Trust him. Get the Honig's.

They have this flex point on their ultimate slacks, which actually makes them adjustable. They are 100 percent polyester, but still beautifully made, and decidedly better in quality, fit and appearance than the GDs. They look and feel similar to the polywools and at about $50, they're as inexpensive as the GDs.

As for the original question: I have a 35-inch waist, and in the Honig's adjustable ultimates, I wear a 34 and adjust the buckles. I wear a 36 in the polywools.

http://www.honigs.com/sub/41/B7

http://www.honigs.com/Sub/41

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

Kevin, A real quick question about the Honigs ultimates. Are they the ones with the permanent crease sewn into them?

I agree with KF on the Honigs ultimates. I like the look and feel much better than the Davis pants.

I wear poly wools, but I like a pair of ultimates for their versatility - the adjustable waistband allows me to wear them in the early college season with plenty of undergarments, through high school ball, or during the summer American Legion season.

The only problem I have had with the ultimates are the slim fit in the seat of the base pants. I'm a "small" 34 - I really need a 33. The base pants are cut somewhat tight in the butt, and I feel even the 34 is a little small in the seat.

Other than that, they are quality pants for the price.

Kevin, A real quick question about the Honigs ultimates. Are they the ones with the permanent crease sewn into them?

Yes! They have the permanent crease like the polywools.

And they're charcoal, and not heather. The heathers are another model.

Just got my GD plate and base charcoal pants in today. I like the waist option. I normally wear a 34-36 in most pants and these give me some room to spare. I like the comfort and I think the extra room to stretch will be benificial in the early season cold. I have always worn Fetcheimer base and plate pants (non pleated) and wasn't sure if I would dig the pleats, but I surprisingly like the look.

Yours do? Mine don't.

Whoa!

I just checked my new pair of Ultimate plate slacks, and they DO NOT have a permanent crease. A two-year-old pair of base slacks have a permanent crease.

My bad.

Which means, your good.