Umpires at Softball Game

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5084 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

YEsterday I was driving home from work. I drive bt a park and notices a 12u softball games goiong on so I stopped to watch. It was some type of tournament.

This post is not intended to bash any umpires. It is only an observation that i thought I would comment on.

First thing I saw was the BU wearing a ball bag.

The PU was Standing behind the catcher. No crouch whatsoever to call balls and strikes.

The only protection he was wearing was a mask. No CP, no Plate Shoes.

I have done 12U softball and I wear all my gear.

During plays he was a rock behind home plate, didnt move an inch. And The BU had a hard time getting into position.

Both Umps were really really old. Probably in their mid 80s. The game was at3:30 on a Tuesday. That was kinda weird. So maybe all they could find was these 2 retired older guys to do the game.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried softball for three years. A buddy hooked me up with some college games. We had fun with it working non-conference stuff.

I was asked to work in an NAIA conference and signed up. I was very disappointed in the stuff some of these men & women wore. Most didn't wear plate shoes. Some didn't wear shin guards. Chest protectors were mainly catcher's gear. They constantly wanted to borrow ball bags, caps, etc.

After one year I decided I'm a baseball guy, and haven't even watched a fastpitch game since.

About a month ago I gave an older pair of +POS shin guards to a local guy who is just getting started in high school softball. Saw the guy a few days ago, and he said he hasn't worn the shin guards because, "My slacks won't go over them"!

I'm not knocking them as a group, but at least around here, softball umpires don't spend anything on equipment!

My experience with softball is very different. I worked my first fast pitch game four years ago. They were 18s. Very good softball. I've always been a baseball guy. I was working with my dad and he went into the suck without a CP. He still had his plate shoes and shins on, but he left the CP in the car. I thought we was :censored:'n nuts.

I gave it a try and to be honest I felt naked. The catchers were superb and I didn't get so much as a spec of dirt on me. But I decided than no CP was not the way to go. I stopped doing softball last year, but I always wore a CP after my first game.

Softball is a great game to officiate. The coaches (for the most part) are respectful, as are the girls, and there were some damn good umpires I worked with. $25 for 1:15 game time, it's hard to beat.

And Jax, the profile you painted was a close representation to some MSHAA officials we have doin high school around here. Their too old to get into position and too stubborn to learn.

I actullay worked 2 16u Softball games today. First one behind the plate. Both coaches were happy with the strike zone and liked my hustle during the game.

The BU made great call on the bases but had no communications skills whatsoever. I tried and tried and he never acknowled me.

Second game i'm BU. The PU had a very good strike zone. Again no communication skills. But he was good at chatting with the fans betweens innings.

First thing I saw was the BU wearing a ball bag.

The PU was Standing behind the catcher. No crouch whatsoever to call balls and strikes.

The only protection he was wearing was a mask. No CP, no Plate Shoes.

I have done 12U softball and I wear all my gear.

During plays he was a rock behind home plate, didnt move an inch. And The BU had a hard time getting into position.

Jax,

As most of ya'll know, I work both w/ about 60/40 split, softball/baseball. My experience, both from when I umpired several years back and now, is that the guys who strictly do baseball seem to think themselves better or above softball or the folks that umpire softball...that's been my observation, not sure what anyone else's perspective is regarding this.

And I've seen all of what you mention in both sports, so I was kind of interested in the title of your post. Matter of fact, I saw two examples of what you mention above at 2 different baseball games the other day...

First was BU wearing a ball bag AND plate shoes. :censored: Second was a PU who not only didn't move one inch, he stayed planted down on one knee behind the plate, regardless of where catcher/batter set up, unless the ball was hit....even called a foul and gave a new ball to the catcher while on his knee! :WTF

I dunno, but I've seen good and bad from umpires in both sports, and not one more than the other.

I was working with my dad and he went into the suck without a CP. He still had his plate shoes and shins on, but he left the CP in the car. I thought he was :censored:'n nuts.

Yeah, no kidding...see my thread about the Protective Cup Jinx...I wouldn't work either w/o one, and one that properly fits! BTW, I've never been hit in the cup in baseball, but several times in softball (yes, I know Murphy is reading and that will soon change!) :censored:

Softball is a great game to officiate. The coaches (for the most part) are respectful, as are the girls, and there were some damn good umpires I worked with. $25 for 1:15 game time, it's hard to beat.

Amen! I love working both, but I've had vastly fewer problems w/ softball players and yes, there's alot to be said about the pay/game length, especially when you can get 2 or 3 games in one evening vice one baseball game. This isn't to say the ladies or games are any less competitive...I've seen some awesome games that would rival any baseball game, but w/o some of the testosterone shenanigans. Of course, coaches are coaches, regardless of sport and I haven't noticed too much difference between the two, though the only coach I've ever ejected was a softball coach! :Cool2:

Jax,

And I've seen all of what you mention in both sports, so I was kind of interested in the title of your post. Matter of fact, I saw two examples of what you mention above at 2 different baseball games the other day...

I dunno, but I've seen good and bad from umpires in both sports, and not one more than the other.

Amen! I love working both, but I've had vastly fewer problems w/ softball players

Of course, coaches are coaches, regardless of sport and I haven't noticed too much difference between the two, though the only coach I've ever ejected was a softball coach! :cool2:

The only reason I Titled the post that way because it was what I witnessed that day.

I do agree that it happens in both sports.

I too have had less problems with Coaches and players in softball.

I have been fortunate that in baseball games this season I have been partnered with a great Ump.

Jax,

As most of ya'll know, I work both w/ about 60/40 split, softball/baseball. My experience, both from when I umpired several years back and now, is that the guys who strictly do baseball seem to think themselves better or above softball or the folks that umpire softball...:

I have had my stint at HS softball... not for me . I don't consider softballor the men and women who umpire them beneth me, it's just "not for me". I don't jump into the threads only because I can't really relate not because it is below me. I have had several A.D.'s wanting me to do summer softball and I simply decline based on the fact that I am just not as skilled at it. To me it "is" a different game. You have obviously been able to transend between the two but for me 1.) I have not been able too, and 2.)I Have no interest too... has nothing to do with who is more elite. My :cool2: consider the source.

Matter of fact, I saw two examples of what you mention above at 2 different baseball games the other day... :

"As a matter of fact" I had a 1st time partner ask me (during a rainy game last night) if I would mind wearing a bag to keep some extra balls out in the field during a dh, "Not on your life son!!!!":BD:

I dunno, but I've seen good and bad from umpires in both sports, and not one more than the other.:

I completely agree! I will say this however, the older "war-horses" in our area have been moving to HS softball and letting the younger guys work the baseball games... for what ever reason (probably because they know somthing we don"t).

BTW, I've never been hit in the cup in baseball, but several times in softball (yes, I know Murphy is reading and that will soon change!) :censored:.:

Last summer I had an imprint of my cup around my....... for 2 months, compliments of 2 drillings in the same inning. I told the wife not to mess with me there, she said "No Problem" :censored:, good luck with Murphy's Law Big Red!

I also don't look down on softball umpires. It just wasn't my thing. I seriously was afraid I was going to see someone get seriously hurt with the shoddy equipment they were wearing. Most of the guys I know who do softball like to mention that they work less time for the same money. Doing softball, even at the college level, I found myself losing interest and just wishing the game was over!

For the most part, the coaches and players in softball were very pleasant. Those cheers and chants after each out took some time to adjust to, but it was part of the game.

Of course, I also met a couple of female coaches who thought every man in the world was out to cheat them.

One of them ended up watching the game from the bus after she complained about a call my partner made, and told me that "her girlfriend has more balls than he does"!

I umpire both and have for a long time. Both have their meritts. Mind you I did the Mens Pro Fast Pitch League and anything after that was a cake walk.:wave: Ladies University fast pitch are probably the best behaved and well played games I have ever done.

To me it seems that the younger the players the more problems that one encounters and the coaches seem to go hand in hand with this.

Not sure if I am good or bad but total EJ todate is only 8 after 19 years of umpiring.

In my area many of the softball guys are terrible. They don't train, they wear anything that comes out of the car and most looks like crap. I saw an assoc leader recently that had a pair of heather grey pants that were so faded they looked more white than grey.

At one time we were one group, baseball and softball, and softball's uniforms got so screwed up that the assoc had top put their foot down. They would show up for a HS game with ASA, NSA or Pony gear mixed in with their HS uniform. They were told that when they came to take their test they had to wear their uniform including cover and hat.

I don't look down of them because they do softball, I look down on them because they aren't very good and don't do anything to make it better.

In my area many of the softball guys are terrible. They don't train, they wear anything that comes out of the car and most looks like crap. I saw an assoc leader recently that had a pair of heather grey pants that were so faded they looked more white than grey.

At one time we were one group, baseball and softball, and softball's uniforms got so screwed up that the assoc had top put their foot down. They would show up for a HS game with ASA, NSA or Pony gear mixed in with their HS uniform. They were told that when they came to take their test they had to wear their uniform including cover and hat.

Mike,

Good point. That's one thing I like about our org...we are still one happy(?) family, so to speak. And with several doing both sports, we seem to keep each other on an even keel w/ both slackers & hustlers in both, just as any group of people. But, I'll be the first to admit that we seem to have a few more slackers than hustlers in softball, though I did see an older baseball guy the other day w/ slacks just as you mention, and to top it off, they are the pants that have the subdued dress pattern! :TD: However, to be fair we do have a couple of those old-timers who don't wear plate shoes or a CP as PU...they set up right behind the catcher (so much for the slot!), but still...pretty foolish IMO!

And, as some have pointed out, for whatever reasons we have more veterans in softball than baseball.

I don't look down of them because they do softball, I look down on them because they aren't very good and don't do anything to make it better.

Spot on...agree with you 100% and for you and the others that say they don't look down, I appreciate that as I made the mistake of generalizing in my first post, making it seem like all baseball guys do that and I'll be the first to say that was simply wrong and not what I intended to say. :smachhead:

I should've clarified that there are a few that do it, at least in our org as well as the org I belonged to several years back, and do so rather blatantly.

I enjoy doing both...mixes things up and both have their own merits as Mickey stated. But, as I look to get into HS next year I know I'll have to settle on one or the other.

I personally believe that you can't do both well. They are different games, field sizes, mechanics and speed. Both are great games, I TD a lot of youth FP softball. My experience is guys that do both have a tendency to be middle of the road guys in both sports. I'm not saying both can't be done well, it's just not the norm.

I'm not saying both can't be done well, it's just not the norm.

You got that right....I am NOT the norm! :smachhead:

Seriously though, you bring up a good point. Not meant as a brag, but I'm doing really well w/ both right now though I'm a li'l more comfortable w/ softball at this point because I do more of it (just found out I was selected to call in the PONY S. Zone tournaments for FP :TD:).

HOWEVER, I fully realize this is LL level and even then it takes a bit to feel comfortable when I work between the older levels, with the biggest thing I've found being adjusting to the delivery mechanics of the pitcher and picking up the release point.

As I mentioned, plan on moving up to HS next year and I agree that trying to do both at that level will definitely become a liability, so will have to pick one or the other.

I work about 90% Baseball and 10% Softball.

I always tell my assignor that I am not as comfortable with Softball because I really don't know all the rules. I tell him to send me out with a partner that does know the rules but he will send me to do solo games. I do like to work those games. I have had no problems with coaches or players.

I feel that one day something will happen and I won't know what to do.

Worked 2 games on Sunday and there was only 1 Base on Balls the whole day. The pitchers were bringing it.

Only discussion I had with a coach is when she came up to me and said the other team batted Out of order . Well the batter she was talking about was a legal batter. She tried to go back 5 batters. She didn't understand the concept of why you can't go back 5 batters. I tried to explain but she wasnt happy with it.

Edited by JaxRolo

I just like how fast-paced softball is. I've done both for about 3 years now, and still find myself tending to nod off in the baseball games, especially when I am out in the field. I hardly ever do this while at a softball game. (Aside: The past 3 years I was working the graveyard shift, going to school, and umpiring, adding to my feeling of being run-down)

I do both like so many people appear to do. I haven't really developed a serious preference of one over the other. I try to look and do my best with both. What bothers me the most are the umps that don't dress properly or hustle for softball because "it's just a bunch of girl's". I literally want to reach out and slap them. They talk like everything is less important for girls, not just their umping, but that the games for the players are less important as well. The other comments I've heard that get my dander up are the ones that imply a u12 game is less important than a HS varsity game is. Trust me, it's just as important for those younger kids! And should be for any ump. If you can't be on your best game with 10 and 12 year olds - you will never have a "best" game with anything above.

I believe that younger kids develop part of their attitude and mouth towards umpires when they have to watch and experience shoddy umpires. Rat coaches don't help either - but if they experience quality umpires when younger - they will respect them more as they get older.