hit by pitch while swinging

tucker150
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 892 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

had this happen the other night. Pitcher pitches ball. comes inside a bit. batter swings and ball hits him in the hands. ball then goes in fair territory a short distance. catcher goes gets ball tags runner out as he is in obvious pain. i called him out. coach argued it hit him and should be given 1st. was i right in calling him out??

It's not foul.

Your right, My bad. I was thinking the ball hit the bat first. So sorry!

The hands are part of a person's body. If a pitch hits the batter's hands the ball is dead; if he

swung at the pitch, a strike is called (NOT a foul). If he was avoiding the pitch, he is awarded first

base.

Rules: 2.00 PERSON, TOUCH, STRIKE (e) and 6.05(f)

Edited by JaxRolo
  • Like 1

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me this past weekend. The ball stayed live, batter was out.

moblue,

If one of the factors that made your play "almost...the same" was the ball hitting the batter, then, no, the ball did not stay live.

JM

had this happen the other night. Pitcher pitches ball. comes inside a bit. batter swings and ball hits him in the hands. ball then goes in fair territory a short distance. catcher goes gets ball tags runner out as he is in obvious pain. i called him out. coach argued it hit him and should be given 1st. was i right in calling him out??

Tucker,

To answer your question, both you and the coach were incorrect. TJ gave you the correct answer in his 1st post...

Ball is dead, it is a strike on the batter, runners may not advance. And if 3rd strike, he's out.

To clarify, in TJ's 2nd post he gave the FED rules cite for HS.

For LL, which follows OBR, here are the cites:

2.00, Definition of Terms

- A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which—

(e) Touches the batter as he strikes at it;

- 6.05 A batter is out when—

(f) He attempts to hit a third strike and the ball touches him;

From Rule 6.08:

APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

BTW, welcome to the site!

Edited by Big Red

moblue,

If one of the factors that made your play "almost...the same" was the ball hitting the batter, then, no, the ball did not stay live.

JM

Unfortunately I should have called foul ball, but didn't. Now I know and I'll get it next time. Bad thing is I gave a wrong explanation to my partner about "the hands are not part of the bat, unless he's swinging." :wow:

Unfortunately I should have called "TIME!", but didn't. Now I know and I'll get it next time. Bad thing is I gave a wrong explanation to my partner about "the hands are not part of the bat, unless he's swinging." :wow:

moblue,

Fixed it for you.

Only batted balls become foul or fair balls and this one wasn't batted.

JM

lol. Thanks. Would it be "time" or "dead ball?" Is there a difference in this situation since play stops either way?

Calling "Time" is correct; "Dead ball" isn't.

Now, I'll explain to you WHY it matters on why it's NOT a foul ball, but simply a dead ball. When a batter has two strikes on him and hits a foul ball (2-16-1), no strike is credited (7-2-1c). When a batter is hit by a pitched ball while swinging, it is a strike (7-2-1b) and the ball is immediately dead (5-1-1a1). Because it's not a foul ball and it's strike three, the batter is out.

So, if there's two strikes on a batter that swings and is hit by the pitch, you, as the PU, should say: "Time! That's a strike! Batter out!"

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

In the minor leagues (OVL) last night, this came up and was evidently called incorrectly.
Railroaders @ Chiefs.

Home team is batting top of the 9th, tie game!  They get bases loaded, no outs.  Next batter strikes out, one away.  The next batter, wanted to offer at a pitch, but checked his swing and the ball hit the batter on the hand.  The Chiefs are thinking it's a walk-off HBP.  But before celebration got in high gear, the umps were discussing things.  Instead of walk-off HBP, they called inning-ending DP (evidently, the catcher picked up the "fair" ball, stepped on the plate for a phantom force-out and threw to first.  According to the announcer, everyone agreed on the fact that the ball hit the batter's hand.  They disagreed on whether he offered at it.  This sounds like a perfect appeal.

The announcer said this was the weirdest, most interesting, most entertaining game he'd EVER seen--in person or on TV.

The visiting manager didn't like something in the 8th inning and got in the home plate umpire's face.  The umpire evidently shoved him away.  The manager was also tossed from the game and benches cleared, but nothing significant happened between players.  The manager who was tossed was supposed to leave the premises.  He hid on the far side of the dug-out (according to the announcer) and continued coaching into the 9th and the extra innings.  According to the announcer, via the home team score keeper, the game was being played under protest, NOT because of the bad rule interpretation in the bottom of the 9th, but because the tossed coach didn't leave!

More chaos in the 10th:  Visiting team leads off with a home run, then goes quietly.  Home team is down to their last batter, last strike, bases empty, still down by one.  Strike 3!  Or is it?!?  Catcher dropped it, took a bit to pick it up, by then the batter was nearing first base and the catcher threw high--WAY high!  As in corner of right field high.  The batter ends up on 3rd base.  Next batter, trying to tie the game, hits a high pop-up on the infield.  Third baseman camps under it, catches it, nope, drops it.  Tie game again!
Game went into the 11th before the visiting team scored again and held the home team scoreless in their half.

1 hour ago, SuperJames said:

In the minor leagues (OVL) last night, this came up and was evidently called incorrectly.
Railroaders @ Chiefs.

Home team is batting top of the 9th, tie game!  They get bases loaded, no outs.  Next batter strikes out, one away.  The next batter, wanted to offer at a pitch, but checked his swing and the ball hit the batter on the hand.  The Chiefs are thinking it's a walk-off HBP.  But before celebration got in high gear, the umps were discussing things.  Instead of walk-off HBP, they called inning-ending DP (evidently, the catcher picked up the "fair" ball, stepped on the plate for a phantom force-out and threw to first.  According to the announcer, everyone agreed on the fact that the ball hit the batter's hand.  They disagreed on whether he offered at it.  This sounds like a perfect appeal.

The announcer said this was the weirdest, most interesting, most entertaining game he'd EVER seen--in person or on TV.

The visiting manager didn't like something in the 8th inning and got in the home plate umpire's face.  The umpire evidently shoved him away.  The manager was also tossed from the game and benches cleared, but nothing significant happened between players.  The manager who was tossed was supposed to leave the premises.  He hid on the far side of the dug-out (according to the announcer) and continued coaching into the 9th and the extra innings.  According to the announcer, via the home team score keeper, the game was being played under protest, NOT because of the bad rule interpretation in the bottom of the 9th, but because the tossed coach didn't leave!

More chaos in the 10th:  Visiting team leads off with a home run, then goes quietly.  Home team is down to their last batter, last strike, bases empty, still down by one.  Strike 3!  Or is it?!?  Catcher dropped it, took a bit to pick it up, by then the batter was nearing first base and the catcher threw high--WAY high!  As in corner of right field high.  The batter ends up on 3rd base.  Next batter, trying to tie the game, hits a high pop-up on the infield.  Third baseman camps under it, catches it, nope, drops it.  Tie game again!
Game went into the 11th before the visiting team scored again and held the home team scoreless in their half.

I’d have protested the fact the home team was batting in the top of the ninth 😂 

In all seriousness, that’s crazy.  If umpire judged the ball hit the knob, then it is a fair ball.

so maybe they didn’t get rule wrong, just where the ball hit (knob vs hand), which is trickier in wood bat leagues than metal

2 hours ago, SuperJames said:

According to the announcer, everyone agreed on the fact that the ball hit the batter's hand.

Not to doubt the announcers, but maybe "everyone" doesn't include the umpires who, without (I assume) the benefit of replay determined that the ball hit the bat and didn't hit the batter.

Most pro umps are going to get this rule right (even if the judgment might have been wrong).

• 2 months later...

I was reading this thread and realized it was 11 years old, but I wasn't the first person to bring it back from the dead.  So.... 

16U Travel ball, FED Rules. 

Strike two on batter, he swings.  

Me:  FOUL BALL!

Batter:  That hit my hand! 

HC:  That hit his hand! 

Me:  I had a foul ball. That hit your hand?  

Batter:  YES! 

Me:  OK, That's strike three, batter's out! 

Luckily for me, the coaches in this league demand and expect sportsmanship, and demonstrate it on the field.  

I explained the rule to the coach, he was surprised and admitted he didn't know that.  

End of funny story -- but I would like some feedback.  Should I have stuck with the original call of Foul Ball?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrainFreeze said:

I was reading this thread and realized it was 11 years old, but I wasn't the first person to bring it back from the dead.  So.... 

16U Travel ball, FED Rules. 

Strike two on batter, he swings.  

Me:  FOUL BALL!

Batter:  That hit my hand! 

HC:  That hit his hand! 

Me:  I had a foul ball. That hit your hand?  

Batter:  YES! 

Me:  OK, That's strike three, batter's out! 

Luckily for me, the coaches in this league demand and expect sportsmanship, and demonstrate it on the field.  

I explained the rule to the coach, he was surprised and admitted he didn't know that.  

End of funny story -- but I would like some feedback.  Should I have stuck with the original call of Foul Ball?

No!  I love it!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is a dead ball strike -- dead because it hit the batter.  He is not awarded first base because he swung.  Because he swung, it's a strike.  It doesn't matter where the ball landed because it can neither be fair nor foul; it is dead.

The proper way to kill the play is "TIME!"  Then give the batter a minute to recover and put him back in the box with an additional strike added.  If that was strike 3, he's out.

On 4/22/2010 at 2:25 PM, moblue said:

Unfortunately I should have called foul ball, but didn't. Now I know and I'll get it next time. Bad thing is I gave a wrong explanation to my partner about "the hands are not part of the bat, unless he's swinging." :wow:

This is NOT a foul ball.  It is a dead ball strike.