2 for 1

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5111 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I got two EJs on one play today. I thought I was in Canada for a minute.

JV baseball, 3rd inning, R2 2 out, B4 hits one in the gap and tries to stretch it into a triple. Throw comes in just ahead of the runner and he gets tagged on the arm just before his hand (head first slide) hits the bag. HC jumps out screaming, "HOW COULD YOU MAKE THAT CALL? HOW COULD YOU CALL HIM OUT..." BR jumps up with "YOU SUCK!" I respond, "You're gone."

Coach is still screaming. I look at him calmly, "#8 is ejected." He is still screaming, HOW COULD YOU MAKE THAT CALL? HOW COULD YOU CALL HIM OUT? AFTER THAT CALL LAST INNING?..."

After about a minute he starts walking away, but can't stop himself, "you need new glasses!" "you're gone too coach" "You are awful!"

The AC comes over to separate us and asks why the kid was thrown out. I told him and he says "what's wrong with that?" I think I could have gotten 3 if I nudged a little, but I wanted to get back to the game and let it slide.

As the kid is putting his equipment away, he flips me the bird (the bird is the word!), and adds a few profanities directed at me.

The coach just leaves. All quiet the rest of the game.

The call he was referring to was in the top half of the inning, R2 stealing, throw is high and he slides in under tag.

Very whiney school, I've listened to them in football and wrestling. Final score 12-4for the team that still had all their players & coaches.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JV baseball, 3rd inning, R2 2 out, B4 hits one in the gap and tries to stretch it into a triple. Throw comes in just ahead of the runner and he gets tagged on the arm just before his hand (head first slide) hits the bag. HC jumps out screaming, "HOW COULD YOU MAKE THAT CALL? HOW COULD YOU CALL HIM OUT..." BR jumps up with "YOU SUCK!" I respond, "You're gone."

Coach is still screaming. I look at him calmly, "#8 is ejected." He is still screaming, HOW COULD YOU MAKE THAT CALL? HOW COULD YOU CALL HIM OUT? AFTER THAT CALL LAST INNING?..."

After about a minute he starts walking away, but can't stop himself, "you need new glasses!" "you're gone too coach" "You are awful!"

The AC comes over to separate us and asks why the kid was thrown out. I told him and he says "what's wrong with that?" I think I could have gotten 3 if I nudged a little, but I wanted to get back to the game and let it slide.

As the kid is putting his equipment away, he flips me the bird (the bird is the word!), and adds a few profanities directed at me.

The call he was referring to was in the top half of the inning, R2 stealing, throw is high and he slides in under tag.

Very whiney school, I've listened to them in football and wrestling. Final score 12-4for the team that still had all their players & coaches.

When it's time for them to go, they go.

One question, though: Where was your partner? :crybaby2:

My partner is a cadet who was a long time player & coach and hasn't made the total transition from the dark side. Experiencing his first EJs. We discussed post game. That's why I left him out of the story.

My partner is a cadet who was a long time player & coach and hasn't made the total transition from the dark side. Experiencing his first EJs. We discussed post game. That's why I left him out of the story.

Well hopefully he'll learn from your tutelage. :WTF

I was left hanging in a situation much like yours where my partner was a supposed veteran. :crybaby2:

What in the hell are wrong with kids these days?When I played in no matter what age if there was a call to be argued that was the coaches job.Of course I played for an old school coach H.S. who would have ran you till you puked for addressing an umpire like that.Not to mention my father would have probably beat me senseless :BD:before I even got off the field,H.S. or not.I can't believe the disrespect players (all ages) show anymore:shakehead:.

Of course I played for an old school coach H.S. who would have ran you till you puked for addressing an umpire like that.Not to mention my father would have probably beat me senseless :BD:before I even got off the field,H.S. or not.I can't believe the disrespect players (all ages) show anymore:shakehead:.

You and me both. The problem these days (said the 21-year-old) is not enough kids being snatched up short by their parents.

To present the alternative to coaches/kids acting like turds....

HS varsity a few weeks ago. I balk visitor's F1 and send R1 to second base. F1 just turns around to ask what he did, and I was going to tell him, but his HC comes out of the dugout at a good clip. I'm thinking he is coming out on me for the balk, but he jumps his pitcher's a**. "You don't EVER question an umpire, do you understand?!!?" The kid wasn't crossing the line in any way, but it was refreshing to see a coach do that.

What's with this "I thought I was in Canada" part? :stir

24 and myself are still waiting for the explaination of the ,"I thought I was in Canada" remarks :WTF:wow::WTF: It better be good

I'm willing to bet it's a reference to a notorious Canadian poster from another site who has a ton of ej.

24 and myself are still waiting for the explaination of the ,"I thought I was in Canada" remarks :WTF:wow::WTF: It better be good

I was referring to the sportsmanlike conduct I have read about (mostly from EXcop) from the participants from the north. :stir

I also left off the post script: As we are changing after the game, a car pulls up and the following dialogue happens:

Man in Car: "Blue, I just want to apolo..."

Woman's voice from another car: "Don't you dare, Ralph! Don't you dare!":agasp_:

Man: "Ignore her. I want to apologize for my son's behavior on the field today"

Me (with bewildered look on my face): "Thank you."

He drives off and I see the woman in an SUV a few spaces down, mumbling to herself and shaking her head.

What does Canada have to do with anything?

What does Canada have to do with anything?

See post 14. If you've been on umpire.org, you would have read the outrageous behavior of the players & coaches up there. As this was happening to me, it made me think of those stories and how easy this was going to be.:stir

See post 14. If you've been on umpire.org, you would have read the outrageous behavior of the players & coaches up there. As this was happening to me, it made me think of those stories and how easy this was going to be.:stir

hahhah I haven't seen such posts, but having some years of experience I can say with fairly good certainty that Canada is no worse than the rest of the world.

Now, go into a hockey rink and that's a different story.

If I had to have taken a guess, I would have guessed that some of ExCop's material is known here. Hey, in the short time I've been on ABUA, I've presendted a whacked situation or two. Just wanted to make sure about where Larry was going with this.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Ex for some time - knowing his history with cancer, I'm relatively concerned about his absence.

For those wondering what we are talking about, there is an umpire from the greater Toronto area who averages about 40-50 ejections (from what it seems) per season because the behaviour of the Toronto participants, as he presents it, is absolutely outrageous.

I have heard of some of the Toronto umpires having numbers that high, however be careful some of that may reflect on the umpire.

I was running a clinic on the weekend and had an umpire who does men's ball in Toronto and he was telling a story about how he tossed a pitcher for using an altered ball... Only problem is he probably only got 3 balls to start with, and did this in the 6th inning.

The problem is half and half in Canada. Some players/coaches/fans still don't realize they are not in the hockey arena, thus some some behavior carries over. Also some umpires not only grab the "SH*#ty end of the stick" they like to lick it like a ice cream cone.

If I had to have taken a guess, I would have guessed that some of ExCop's material is known here. Hey, in the short time I've been on ABUA, I've presendted a whacked situation or two. Just wanted to make sure about where Larry was going with this.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Ex for some time - knowing his history with cancer, I'm relatively concerned about his absence.

For those wondering what we are talking about, there is an umpire from the greater Toronto area who averages about 40-50 ejections (from what it seems) per season because the behaviour of the Toronto participants, as he presents it, is absolutely outrageous.

I know of a doctored ball story from 8 to 10 years ago. It was an AL play-off and in the sixth the HT throws in a pearl. The pitcher ribbed it up a little with his hands. The BU warned him about altering the ball. He pitched the ball. the catcher dropped it on the ground and wiped it off. After another pitch the BU dumped the pitcher for throwing a doctored ball. All subs had been used so they were down to eight so they forfeited the game to the HT. :WTF