What is wrong with coaches

I worked a 10yo game last night. It was actually a decent game. Except for a couple of situations.

1. 3rd inning 2 outs and R3. Batters # is 16 Count is 1-1 the pitch is a passball R3 tries 2 steal "OUT" at home. Next inning rolls around and the leadoff hitter is NOT number 16 but the next batter. Pitch comes in for a BALL. the DC comes to me and says the Batter batted out of turn she be an out :HD:

I said no out coach The OC heard all this and call out the proper batter and that batter resumes the 1-0 count. Move on.

2. 5th inning 2 outs R3. Passball Runners tries to steal, Batter never moved out of the way. Catcher comes in and has to go around the batter to try to tag the runner. i call INT Batter out. Coach comes out and doesn't understand the call. :WTF

NExt half of the inning similar situation. R3 this time a left handed batter. Passball Batter steps back a 3-4 feet no where close to the play. Runner comes in on-time "safe" The same coach comes out "Blue you called the same thing on us "OUT" you need to be consistent. :WTF :wow:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just kinda sucks when you go out there and you call what you think is a great game but one of the coaches thinks you stunk it up.

By the way after 5 innings the game was 5-4 and ended after 6 innings Tied 9-9

I worked a 10yo game last night. It was actually a decent game. Except for a couple of situations.

1. 3rd inning 2 outs and R3. Batters # is 16 Count is 1-1 the pitch is a passball R3 tries 2 steal "OUT" at home. Next inning rolls around and the leadoff hitter is NOT number 16 but the next batter. Pitch comes in for a BALL. the DC comes to me and says the Batter batted out of turn she be an out :HD:

I said no out coach The OC heard all this and call out the proper batter and that batter resumes the 1-0 count. Move on.

2. 5th inning 2 outs R3. Passball Runners tries to steal, Batter never moved out of the way. Catcher comes in and has to go around the batter to try to tag the runner. i call INT Batter out. Coach comes out and doesn't understand the call. :WTF

NExt half of the inning similar situation. R3 this time a left handed batter. Passball Batter steps back a 3-4 feet no where close to the play. Runner comes in on-time "safe" The same coach comes out "Blue you called the same thing on us "OUT" you need to be consistent. :WTF:wow:

At this point, did he go to the parking lot? Or, at least, get told "That's enough"?

At this point, did he go to the parking lot? Or, at least, get told "That's enough"?

I said thats enough and he complied. At this age When I get a coach that I see doesn't know the rules I try to explain it to them so that maybe they learn. If they seem receptive to learning then great if not then I say Thats Enough or :wow:

I said thats enough and he complied. At this age When I get a coach that I see doesn't know the rules I try to explain it to them so that maybe they learn. If they seem receptive to learning then great if not then I say Thats Enough or :wave:

As long as it was acknowledged so he MIGHT get an understanding of not to say things like that.

Jax,

I too have felt your frustration. I've done my tour of duty in the 10y/o divisions and judging the words of my UIC I may be headed back down there a few times to help the younger guys. There would be times where, mid-game, I knew I was calling a good game but some coach who doesn't know his balls from his bat comes up and questions me, or tells me something that really kind of deflates my balloon. It really got to me.

But one time while I was walking out to my car after a game I decided to ask myself one question: "Did the game play out the way it was supposed to?" "Did I do my job right?" When the answers were yes, it kinda put some air back in my balloon knowing that even though coach was a dumba$s and has probably never seen the cover of any rule book, I did what was right. According to the rules, I was right. Suddenly those dumb coaches seemed to fade away.

When the answer to the question of "Did I do my job right?" was no, the reason was always the fundamentals, and those can be fixed very easily.

Don't listen to 'em Jax. I've found that for every snob nosed coach who couldn't see green in the middle of a golf course, there is always one, maybe even two parents or other spectators that can. Those people appreciate you, those people know you're doing a good job. They just never speak up.

Well Said Brandon. Thanks.

One thing i left out was that after I called the INT and explained it to him, he asked if I could just make it a warning and put the runner back on 3rd. :crybaby2: :WTF

I had a set of Bronco game yesterday. At the plate conference the two coaches from one team wanted a full balk clinic. They were confused because the umps in their last game weren't calling balks when the pitcher would throw to a base w/o stepping off. I tried to explain briefly, which led to "well what about this" "How about..." I was trying to be nice because these two coaches were about as clueless as they come. But ended up telling them I'd love to talk with them but this is taking up their playing time.

Later in the game there was a D3K and they were confused because it wasn't a swinging strike.

I got my very first coaching job as an assistant to a pitching coach .... a go-fer's job really, and I like most everyone else was quick on the trigger to complain and object vocally to calls by the men in blue.

One season - in between jobs, my Mrs. suggested that I take stint as part time umpire. So, one seasn I did.

From the other side of the game, it looks entirely different. It was a reality check to be sure. The level of concentration is much more than just the play at the moment, it's really a 360 degree environment... and then some.

But what really hit me were the contradictions to one of the purposes of the amateur game itself. Here we're trying to pass on all the good things conected to baseball - camaraderie, fair play, reasonability, and most of all respect for some sort of order presided over by an established authority. But, it's a hard sell.

How youngsters can learn to be reasonable and respectful in an environment where adults come unglued at the seams is beyond me. And the smallest thing seems to set people off like a bottle rockest. And then there's the fan in the lawn chair with a foul mouth and tanked before he/she got to the game, and sitting in the hot sun starts the fermentation process ... and other things.

On the other hand I found some (not all) Umpire Boards to be no help either. "Take your money and keep your mouth shut" seemed to be the golden rule with some. "don't rock the boat for the rest of us" my partner advise me at my very first game. " This AD and other schools won't call us" (the Board).

I'm sure there is a balance out there and I've seen some absolutely great men/women at the dish and on the field. How you people deal with this environment day after day, jerk after jerk, is beyond me.

Pitchcoach,

Similar to you, I coached for 9 yrs before getting into umpire, which happened as a fluke accident. And during those 9 yrs I made my share of mistakes, misinterpretations and found myself watching the rest of a couple games from the parking lot. :WTF

Yes, it opens your eyes and gives you a completely different perspective. Your comments are appreciated and I'd like to say it'd be great for you to share your insight w/ some of the very people you mention, but I've been around long enough to know the majority of those types "know it all" already and you'd have better luck trying to convince a stump w/ a 2x4! :stir The key is that you have to be the one to maintain perspective and impartiality when those you mention are coming unglued at the seams!

You'll find that most umpires have been a part of the game as previous coaches, players...some even into MiLB, and still simply have that "love of the game" and want to be involved.

I personally don't look at it as a job, but a calling...one with which you have to have a fire or passion to be successful and once you're hooked, you're hooked!:nod:

A calling & passion that has your other .5 wondering why you're always taking the OBR w/ you into the "office," why you're diagramming positions in your church bulletin during the sermon (or still reading OBR!), why you're probably the only one of 40,000 people in a MLB ballpark who watches and even cares about what the umps are doing ("Hey babe, did you see how good the PU's positioning was on that play at home?" :WTF), why you mow the lawn wearing your new CP to help break it in, why you slobber over the computer while checking out the latest from Ump-Attire or Honigs, why you walk around the house like a dorky kid at Christmas scaring the family dog/cat while wearing the new facemask you just got in the mail, or why you spend hours on sites like this, sometimes while wearing the aforementioned CP!!

And IMO, that's what you find here on this site, along w/ a genuine respect for the game and each other, that makes it stand out from the others...many thanks to Warren and his lowly group of "advisors!"

We've all been there for, sometimes worked with the guy/gal who's out there doing it for a paycheck (small, but still a paycheck) or for other nefarious reasons, and it always shows, but in the end reflects upon us all.

On top of that, and related to your last point, I think it boils down to the fact you've got to have both the memory and skin of an elephant, and if you're in it for the right reasons, you strive to get better every time and you endure.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the input!

Edited by Big Red

Thank you BIG RED.

About 18 years ago, my Mrs showed me some 16MM film of a coach coming from the dugout, going over to the UIC and vocal about a play. His arms a waving, his hat pushed back on his head, first talking, then walking in circles - still waving his arms. She had our son dub-in music ..." here comes the clowns"... as in slow motion this coach shook his head and waved some more.

As I watched... I thought ..." hey, that guy looks familar!"

Yep, it was me -- with a lot more hair on top, a lot less around the belt line.

I had sub'd for our skipper who took ill during an away game. The three field umps joined the session and finially - enough was enough ... gone.

Then it all came back, I was not only out of the game, but left my bench without a game plan.

Stupidity comes in many forms - I learned not to take that form again. It's made me a much better pitching coach, far more reasonable, and the ole blood presure seems to fit too.

Had 2 games today, second one behind the plate. No problems whatsoever from the coaches. They were friendly, nice couldn't ask for better. BUT the score keeper for the winning team was a major pain in the behind. They won 15-0

This guy was sitting on the 3rd base side by the dugout in his nice chair. When i called strikes on his batter he would say: "Don't Worry Johnny its not you. You are doing all you can, its the umpire" :stir

I went over to ask him what the score was and he starts telling me how some of the pitches I am calling strikes are to far outside. He must have had a much better view than me.

About the 3rd inning he moves his chair behind home plate. The backstop is only about 10 feet behind us. Oddly enough I didnt hear much from him after he moved. I guess I must have adjusted the strike zone over to accommodate him.

About the 3rd inning he moves his chair behind home plate. The backstop is only about 10 feet behind us. Oddly enough I didnt hear much from him after he moved. I guess I must have adjusted the strike zone over to accommodate him.

He was probably back there thinking "Oh...so a 90 degree angle ISN'T the best view of the zone..."

I was getting a kick out of watching him smile that better-than-you smile and shake his head every time he thought one of us was looking in his direction.

Then again, if I was paying $500 a month so my kid could be on a travel team with a 47 player roster (literally), I'd be a little ill-tempered too :stir