A better way???

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4580 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The assignor is getting paid to assign these games. If the teams don't like the officials he sends they are going to find someone else to assign.

If my assignor is giving assignments to make coaches happy, I'm finding a new association. I can't speak for everyone, but I know my assignor couldn't care less what the coaches or leagues think. In fact, if a league wants to leave us, we let them -- they'll probably be back in a few years when they see the quality of umpiring went down horribly with the new association.

Standing over a professional catcher and glowering down at him and baiting him is professional umpiring, according to you.

He didn't say that.

You have some confirmation bias issues.

Matt, ... yes he did.

He said that what happens at the MLB level can be acceptable, even if it's not at lower levels. The situation was Schrieber, (regardless of what happened prior) did what Kevin said above, ...Cactus is saying that that is ok at the MLB level, and he doesn't see it as unprofessional.

Michael, please lock this ... it's getting no where. It's like a discussion about politics, ...no one wins and no one can agree.

Matt, ... yes he did.

No, he didn't. The only one that did say it was acceptable at that level was Mazza. Cactus said, in essence, we cannot say it's unacceptable because we are not at that level.

Matt, let's not get into a he-said she-said thing here. No, Cactus didn't USE THOSE WORDS like Mazza said. You're right, Cactus didn't 'say' it was acceptable, ....he certainly implies it though ......and it's nothing you have to 'read into' either.....

Matt, let's not get into a he-said she-said thing here. No, Cactus didn't USE THOSE WORDS like Mazza said. You're right, Cactus didn't 'say' it was acceptable, ....he certainly implies it though ......and it's nothing you have to 'read into' either.....

This isn't a he-said/she-said thing. We can look at what actually transpired. I do not see the implication that you see--just that Cactus was making a point that we don't have the experience to judge.

This isn't a he-said/she-said thing. We can look at what actually transpired. I do not see the implication that you see--just that Cactus was making a point that we don't have the experience to judge.

Matt, are you saying that this isn't an implication ?? Cactus said:

According to you:

This act + amateur baseball = Intolerable

Therefore...

This act + MLB = Intolerable

You seem to forget that

Amateur baseball ≠ MLB

What is acceptable in the lower levels of professional baseball is a lot different than your HS games. What is acceptable in MLB is a lot different than the lower levels of professional baseball. Everyone else on here seems to understand that. It is one thing for you to say that your vast MLB experience says that this isn't acceptable in MLB. It is crazy to say that it isn't acceptable in your HS games so it must not be acceptable in MLB. HS and MLB are a tad different.

How is this not implying it's acceptable?

I beg to differ. I have as much experience as they do. I am just not on TV calling that level of ball like them. But, I have as many years at umpiring as some of them but I am not comparing myself to them in the ability to call that speed of the game b/c I have not been umpiring that level. Handling a situation like this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the level of ball being called. An umpire is an umpire and should be held to the same standard across the board. The only difference is what handling a situation like this is attempting to accomplish.

In the MLB, it is a "show" and therefore, is allowed (not to be confused with acceptable) to be handled differently with little/no recourse. Outside of that, it is not a "show" and should not be allowed b/c we dislike it when they do this. We are not trying to put on a "show" so we do not handle it this way. It has absolutely nothing to do with what is acceptable based on the level of ball. If this wasn't a televised level and such a money attracting thing, then he would probably be reprimanded much like us and we would not even be thinking about how "acceptable" it should be at this level.

While I agree since it is MLB, things are handled and allowed differently. But, how an umpire handles things is the same across the board. If one handles a situation incorrectly, then it is incorrect at any level being called. Just b/c an adult player is treated different than a child player doesn't make it correct. It just shows what is allowed and tolerated at the different levels. At no level is this correct but at the MLB level, it is allowed.

I beg to differ. I have as much experience as they do. I am just not on TV calling that level of ball like them. But, I have as many years at umpiring as some of them but I am not comparing myself to them in the ability to call that speed of the game b/c I have not been umpiring that level. Handling a situation like this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the level of ball being called. An umpire is an umpire and should be held to the same standard across the board. The only difference is what handling a situation like this is attempting to accomplish.

In the MLB, it is a "show" and therefore, is allowed (not to be confused with acceptable) to be handled differently with little/no recourse. Outside of that, it is not a "show" and should not be allowed b/c we dislike it when they do this. We are not trying to put on a "show" so we do not handle it this way. It has absolutely nothing to do with what is acceptable based on the level of ball. If this wasn't a televised level and such a money attracting thing, then he would probably be reprimanded much like us and we would not even be thinking about how "acceptable" it should be at this level.

While I agree since it is MLB, things are handled and allowed differently. But, how an umpire handles things is the same across the board. If one handles a situation incorrectly, then it is incorrect at any level being called. Just b/c an adult player is treated different than a child player doesn't make it correct. It just shows what is allowed and tolerated at the different levels. At no level is this correct but at the MLB level, it is allowed.

A tip of the creased black six-stitch to Mr. Umpire!

Okay, I give.

Standing over a professional catcher and glowering down at him and baiting him is professional umpiring, according to you.

That's why I come here: to learn new things like that from masters like you.

Thank you so much.

How do you know he got baited? The catcher was out of line. The PU stepped in front of him and most likely warned him to stop. The catcher continued to argue and got ejected.

Cactus is saying that that is ok at the MLB level, and he doesn't see it as unprofessional.

What do you want him to do? Just stand behind the catcher and eject him from there? Then people would be complaining that the no one knew that anything was going on and that he shouldn't have ejected him. By coming in front he lets everyone know that the catcher needs to shut up. Then when the catcher does get ejected the manager knows that the argument had been going on for a while, the PU gave the catcher a chance to stop, but he continued to argue and was ejected.

Some people gain little from their experiences, and tend to saddle others with their own limitations.

That sums you up well. You're always on your high horse and everyone else is wrong. You may want to do some self reflecting and see how you are perceived by others.

How do you know he got baited? The catcher was out of line. The PU stepped in front of him and most likely warned him to stop. The catcher continued to argue and got ejected.

What do you want him to do? Just stand behind the catcher and eject him from there? Then people would be complaining that the no one knew that anything was going on and that he shouldn't have ejected him. By coming in front he lets everyone know that the catcher needs to shut up. Then when the catcher does get ejected the manager knows that the argument had been going on for a while, the PU gave the catcher a chance to stop, but he continued to argue and was ejected.

Well, he could have done what was already suggested. Simply say "You're gone" and when F2 turned around, give the EJ mechanic. Now, F2 looks bad completely and not a single umpire here or anywhere (I hope) would have said anything. At least, I know I would be defending it since F2 left his position to argue if done this way.

And, how would you react if that was being done to you? I know I would have something to say back and thus would be baiting me into saying something. Have you ever done something like this to a teenager (In this case, a 22-year know-it-all) and have them talk back under their breath? I guess that is something I have gained through my experiences off the field I also carry on the field when dealing with a situation. He dared F2 to back down once he stepped in front of him and F2 refused. That is the baiting part being referred to. And, many will say something out of shear pride to not let someone talk down to them.

No one is suggesting the PU just listen to it. But, he has got to find a better way to handle it to make the EJ look better and worthy. At least, do it better outside of MLB where this type of behavior is allowed and possibly encouraged for ratings. This one is completely handled inappropriately and incorrectly at any level.

Some people gain little from their experiences, and tend to saddle others with their own limitations.

That sums you up well. You're always on your high horse and everyone else is wrong. You may want to do some self reflecting and see how you are perceived by others.

Cactus:

I suppose this is ok as well ??

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...tent_id=8644359

That looked terrible. What was worse were the commentators actually suggesting the PU did this because Kendall was nicely asking about the pitches. I'll bet Kendall was relentlessly berating this guy, and when he had enough, he let Kendall know in front of everyone he wasn't going to put up with any more of his BS. Nice EJ mechanic for Yost though...........

Tim.

Okay, I give.

That's why I come here: to learn new things like that from masters like you.

Thank you so much.

Cactus is saying that that is ok at the MLB level, and he doesn't see it as unprofessional.

Being from Arizona, I generally have a high opinion of most kinds of cactus.

Not this kind.

I heart this thread. Seriously, between the bickering, there is some really good stuff that I have learned. Game management/dealing with conflict is my biggest weakness right now, so anything I can pick up in these areas is greatly appreciated.

I heart this thread. Seriously, between the bickering, there is some really good stuff that I have learned. Game management/dealing with conflict is my biggest weakness right now, so anything I can pick up in these areas is greatly appreciated.

I've been told too many times to count that the difference between good umpires and great ones is the ability to handle situations. At a certain level you are expected to have a solid zone, be able to make tough calls, have good crisp mechanics; it is your game management and ability to handle the toughest situations which define the great ones.