Worst MLB blown call?

prumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5122 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ball that was called foul down the left field line in the 11th inning of game 1 of the Yankees v Twins 2009 ALDS. They had a 6 man crew, 2 guys down the foul lines, and the left field ump, Phil Cuzzi, called it foul even though it clearly hit the glove of the left fielder 4-5 ft into fair territory, bounced in fair, and went over the wall. Twins would've scored a run. The Yankees won in extras.

The ball that was called foul down the left field line in the 11th inning of game 1 of the Yankees v Twins 2009 ALDS. They had a 6 man crew, 2 guys down the foul lines, and the left field ump, Phil Cuzzi, called it foul even though it clearly hit the glove of the left fielder 4-5 ft into fair territory, bounced in fair, and went over the wall. Twins would've scored a run. The Yankees won in extras.

Here it is

Video

What is the worst blown call by a major league umpire? Links to videos would be helpful...

Depends if it was against someone's team or not. I don't think any one is worse than the other. The worst call would be an indecisive one. Make the call and be confident about it. Don't be questionable when making it.

That would be the worst one. All of the others are just mistakes or not mistakes. At least they took the heat if necessary and stood by their call regardless of who was in their face and wanting them to ask for help.

What is the worst blown call by a major league umpire? Links to videos would be helpful...

I agree with Mr Umpire.

Making mistakes is part of being human and they will occur.

I also wonder why a Umpire would want to criticize a call made by a MLB Umpire. Right or Wrong, they made the call. They were there on the spot to make it. It is always easier to arm chair quarterback.

We have enough criticism from players and coaches that we do not need to be part of that.

He who is perfect may cast the first pitch. :o

I don't think its about criticizing MLB Umps. Its about seeing that they are human too and when we blow one maybe we can feel a bit better and learn from our mistakes.

Abviously there were some ugly calls in last year's post season, however, as an Orioles' fan the kid with HR fan interference against the Yankees has to rate right up there. That said, I agree these guys are the best in the business but they will make mistakes. That is part of the game and always will be.

I don't think its about criticizing MLB Umps. Its about seeing that they are human too and when we blow one maybe we can feel a bit better and learn from our mistakes.

True, if (and when) it's discussed soon after the play hapens, and when the discussion is "how could they have moved to get it right" or "what do I need to change in my game to be sure this doesn't happen to me."

When it's "lets go back over history and find the worst call" (as I interpret the OP), it's just a "lets beat up on the Umps" discussion.

I absolutely agree. They are there and have to make the call in real time and then live with it. We as amateur umpires can analyze the call why we believe it was made and what could or could not have been done better, but to make a list of the worst umpiring calls is not something which will happen at U-E. Let the fan sites have at that.

Every MLB & MiLB umpire I've met seems to hold us as amateurs in the same regard as they hold themselves and do treat us as brothers, it would be wrong for us not to see it the same way.

One of my many weaknesses as an umpire is that when I know I've kicked one and am in a position where it can't be fixed for any number of reasons, I beat myself up for a while and it takes my head out of the game. I'm sure many of you are the same.

Take that then think of having 15 different camera angles, super slow mo HD replays and announcers with no clue (can you say Tim McDouchebag & Joe Half-a-Buck) and thousands of fans. Those don't go away like our calls do they live forever on YouTube, in the Blogosphere and in the minds of fans. Then they are still able to keep their head in the game.

Besides every close call we make we're wrong to half the people there.

Hear! Hear! Perfectly put Warren, and if anyone out there hasn't felt/experienced what you state in paragraph #3, then they must be a robot, or doing this calling for every wrong reason.

Too bad you're the administrator as I'd nominate this as a post of the month!

Here's a bit of a twist on this.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, simply because I think the idea of it is a complete waste of bandwidth. The fact is, I would bet that any umpire here likely has a list of mistakes that is miles longer than any of the 'big boys' screw ups - mistakes that don't get replayed ad nauseum on national television. So when it comes to criticizing umpires, especially those whose every call are under a microscope, I'll pass on that.

However, an incident from yesterday's Marlins-Mets game still has me shaking my head. Not for the fact that it was a mistake on the call, but for the actions taken after the call was made.

Did anyone else see this on ESPN SportsCenter last night?

Laz Diaz at 3B. Ball slashed down the line, and it hits just in front of him.

At first it looked as though he was going to point it fair, but then put both hands up and called it foul.

Well, there are cameras everywhere of course... and one zoomed in on the spot where the ball hit. :clap: It clearly hit right on the line. Ooops. The camera then shows Diaz putting his thumb and index finger up, gesturing as if to say, "It was this close, but foul."

Later, that same batter hit a double. (I'm sure Laz was breathing a sigh of relief at that point).

What bothered me was that Diaz then helped out by taking the batter's leg guard and handing it off to the 3B coach. After he does this, you can see him stop and try to scuff away the ball mark on the line where it had hit.

:agasp_: :no:

Edited by BrianC14

Hear! Hear! Perfectly put Warren, and if anyone out there hasn't felt/experienced what you state in paragraph #3, then they must be a robot, or doing this calling for every wrong reason.

Too bad you're the administrator as I'd nominate this as a post of the month!

I'm nominating him anyhow!!!!!!

Even without the nominate button, I'm for nominating that post.

How about a show of hands!

I absolutely agree. They are there and have to make the call in real time and then live with it. We as amateur umpires can analyze the call why we believe it was made and what could or could not have been done better, but to make a list of the worst umpiring calls is not something which will happen at U-E. Let the fan sites have at that.

Every MLB & MiLB umpire I've met seems to hold us as amateurs in the same regard as they hold themselves and do treat us as brothers, it would be wrong for us not to see it the same way.

One of my many weaknesses as an umpire is that when I know I've kicked one and am in a position where it can't be fixed for any number of reasons, I beat myself up for a while and it takes my head out of the game. I'm sure many of you are the same.

Take that then think of having 15 different camera angles, super slow mo HD replays and announcers with no clue (can you say Tim McDouchebag & Joe Half-a-Buck) and thousands of fans. Those don't go away like our calls do they live forever on YouTube, in the Blogosphere and in the minds of fans. Then they are still able to keep their head in the game.

Besides every close call we make we're wrong to half the people there.

:clap:

The wife found this for me to watch last night after I got home from doing Varsity gamelast night. Game yesterday LAD @ Pitts.. Pro PU was up the first base line on a play at home plate from left field. PU never made a call despite the catcher tagging the runner twice, PU out of position blocked out and missed the tags. Runner never touched home plate PU never made any call as he could not see the play. Finally after a very long ackward 30 second delay the catcher tagged runner for the 3rd time and PU finally made a call. I hope everyone does not take this the wrong way but this was an example of why one should not work on the first baseline with a play at home but either the 3rd base extended or 1st base extended. Guys it was not pretty and the PU looked like he was looking for some where to hide. The TV announcers never replayed the call either, the wife DVR'd for me to watch as we had been discussing a similar play the night before and she wanted to know why I make a call even if no play is made instead of waiting too long.

Edited by MickeyMouseUmp
missing info

The wife found this for me to watch last night. Game yesterday LAD @ Pitts.. PU was up the first base line on a play at home plate from left field. PU never made a call despite the catcher tagging the runner twice, PU rookie mistake out of position blocked out and missed the tags. Runner never touched home plate so PU never made any call. Catcher tagged runner for the 3rd time and finally PU called the runner out after a very long ackward 30 seconds. Pretty sad for a Pro Umpire. If I ever did this I would hang up my shin guards. Guys it was not pretty.

Here's the video:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7323849

What's "not pretty" about this?

No tag = no call.

His position was just right for that play.

Here's the video:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7323849

What's "not pretty" about this?

No tag = no call.

His position was just right for that play.

Only in hindsight am I even asking these questions. He got the call right. No doubt. It does appear he missed the tag of the trail hand, though not conclusive.

My only question would be, "If the runner did touch HP, would he have seen it?"

From that angle, I doubt it b/c of F2. On a throw from the left side, isn't he supposed to be 1BLX for a block of the plate play? I don't have the manuals so I am asking. Isn't 1BLX from the left and 3BLX from about center to right for swipe tags?

His mechanics for the play were right. His positioning seems a little off to me. I don't think he would have seen a touch if it did happen from that angle.

Also, on further review, he looks like he is about to call an out but stops himself. Got a little jumpy about the play maybe. Maybe he thought he saw the hand get tagged but wasn't sure? He looked a little indecisive about the call at first.

Edited by Mr Umpire

Only in hindsight am I even asking these questions. He got the call right. No doubt. It does appear he missed the tag of the trail hand, though not conclusive.

From that angle, I doubt it b/c of F2. On a throw from the left side, isn't he supposed to be 1BLX for a block of the plate play? I don't have the manuals so I am asking. Isn't 1BLX from the left and 3BLX from about center to right for swipe tags?

His mechanics for the play were right. His positioning seems a little off to me. I don't think he would have seen a touch if it did happen from that angle.

Also, on further review, he looks like he is about to call an out but stops himself. Got a little jumpy about the play maybe. Maybe he thought he saw the hand get tagged but wasn't sure? He looked a little indecisive about the call at first.

It's called adjusting to the play as it's developing.

How you think you can see what he sees :shrug: given that you're only view of it is from the camera's angle - none of which is even close to his view of it?

Stop the video at 0:12. The catcher has cleanly blocked off the plate, preventing the touch. It's evident that he can see that (as well as the runner's left hand) because of his position on 1BL. Had he taken it by anchoring himself at 3BLX, he may well (who the hell knows?) "seen" a tag when there was none.

I'd say he got it right because he was in the right position. Simple as that. :shakehead:

The wife found this for me to watch last night after I got home from doing Varsity gamelast night. Game yesterday LAD @ Pitts.. Pro PU was up the first base line on a play at home plate from left field. PU never made a call despite the catcher tagging the runner twice, PU out of position blocked out and missed the tags. Runner never touched home plate PU never made any call as he could not see the play. Finally after a very long ackward 30 second delay the catcher tagged runner for the 3rd time and PU finally made a call. I hope everyone does not take this the wrong way but this was an example of why one should not work on the first baseline with a play at home but either the 3rd base extended or 1st base extended. Guys it was not pretty and the PU looked like he was looking for some where to hide. The TV announcers never replayed the call either, the wife DVR'd for me to watch as we had been discussing a similar play the night before and she wanted to know why I make a call even if no play is made instead of waiting too long.

Interesting edits.

Incorrect, but interesting.

On a play at home plate, if there is no touch of home plate, and no tag of the runner, there is no call to be made. No signal. No call. You wait, just as Ron Kulpa (a 10 year veteran in MLB, hardly a "rookie") did on this play.

You'll note that his signal comes only after F2 applies a tag.

It's called adjusting to the play as it's developing.

How you think you can see what he sees :shrug: given that you're only view of it is from the camera's angle - none of which is even close to his view of it?

Stop the video at 0:12. The catcher has cleanly blocked off the plate, preventing the touch. It's evident that he can see that (as well as the runner's left hand) because of his position on 1BL. Had he taken it by anchoring himself at 3BLX, he may well (who the hell knows?) "seen" a tag when there was none.

I'd say he got it right because he was in the right position. Simple as that. :shrug:

Didn't say I could. It never ends apparently. :shakehead:

I see him stand up, move left to catch his balance a bit... I don't see anything resembling a signal of any kind.

I do wonder what he's saying there at that point though... it almost appears like he's saying "No tag...." and then F2 jumps to action.

If he had been 1BLE he would have been blocked out by the runner. He was exactly where he needed to be. If there is no play then make no call. He can't show safe because there was a tag attempt and no touch of the plate. Any call would have been incorrect.

I see him stand up, move left to catch his balance a bit... I don't see anything resembling a signal of any kind.

I do wonder what he's saying there at that point though... it almost appears like he's saying "No tag...." and then F2 jumps to action.

Is he supposed to acknowledge that there was no tag? Not that I'm sure that's what he said, but for the sake of argument, let's say he did. Is the umpire within his rights by letting the catcher know that, or would that be considered helping him out?

On a throw from the left side, isn't he supposed to be 1BLX for a block of the plate play? I don't have the manuals so I am asking. Isn't 1BLX from the left and 3BLX from about center to right for swipe tags?

Now they are not teaching the 1BLX, 3BLX or even PoP. They are teaching to take a step or two back (okay this might be like PoP) and follow the catcher to lead you to the play and that you should line up with the catchers left hip pocket. As he swings to his left you move to your right. This will give you the best view and you could end up anywhere from PoP to up the first base line or even fair.

So in the picture below you can see Kulpa is actually in excellent position, while yes it does look a bit unothodox he's there and you can see has a great view.

I do wonder what he's saying

I caught that to. I bet the catcher asked if he got him, because they both start to go into action after Kulpa says something.

Is he supposed to acknowledge that there was no tag? Not that I'm sure that's what he said, but for the sake of argument, let's say he did. Is the umpire within his rights by letting the catcher know that, or would that be considered helping him out?

I'm pretty certain he wouldn't volunteer the information, but I'm guessing he was asked, probably by the catcher.