Sign in to follow this  
sdix00

Cricket

It has been 15 weeks since anyone posted in the U-E softball forums.

Do softball umpires just know everything?

OR

Are they on another board somewhere?

Where can I troll, er, linger?

In many areas softball umpires just seem to exist. They don't go the extra mile that baseball does to improve. My area is like that, they meet, go to the state clinic and go umpire. It's not that they don't care, it's just that the mechanisms aren't in place to teach guys. There are some really good softball guys here if you have questions.

I absolutely agree there are some very good softball umpires and some of them are here. The local umpire assoc has been trying to get rid of their interpreter because he is constantly trying to improve the guys and they are resisting.

If you have questions we have guys that can answer them.

Frankly, any mention of softball is met with derision from the baseball umpire sites. I will respond to a sb question occassionally, but I would prefer to not give the animals more fodder.

Larry leads the good guys. This is the softball area and as such is where softball questions should be asked. If baseball guys come in and pick, run them off, not their world. :cheers:

I worked SB for a few years, did a couple nationals and went to their Umpire Academy. (Mens slow-pitch, and Seniors, except for the Women's C Nationals). I found pretty much the same types of umpires I find at baseball. Some great, most good, some lousy.

I've done a few girl's softball games. The first one I did was a last minute fill in, and I told the assigner I'd never done softball before and he was like "It's the same as baseball, you'll be fine!"

Lying bastard, that game went poorly that's for sure.

I beefed up on softball rules after that one so I'd be ready for the next last minute fill in.

I have to agree that there similarities but they are very different. Different mechanics, calling strikes is different because it comes to the plate differently, different rules on the bases and very different pitching rules. The basis of the rules are the same but they are definitely apples and oranges. I really enjoy watching FP but your assignor defintely threw you under the bus.

Yes, there are at least a half-dozen internet forums for softball umpiring, some of which are pretty active. Though I won't dismiss the notion that the softball guys aren't here because they already know it all! :D

For me, getting involved in softball was just a natural extension of having daughters instead of sons. I may never have been involved or interested in the sport otherwise. I began umpiring baseball before I ever umpired a softball game, but had been around the sport for many years and becoming an official there was an easy transition.

Put me down as one of the guys that is every bit as anal about doing things by-the-book in a softball game as I am in a game of baseball. I still work both and manage to keep all the separate rules and mechanics from intermingling.