Tony B

First Game of the season

Had this happen at the HS season opener last night (at least since the rain).

The first 2 outs of the inning come pretty quickly.

B3 gets a ball through the infield for a hit

B4 comes up as a righty.

With R1, F1 feints to first - easy Balk no arguments from anybody.

Now we have 2 out R2.

Passed ball, R2 goes to third.

OC calls time talks to his batter.

B4 comes back to the plate as a lefty and bunts up the 1BL for a hit and scoring R3.

DC all of the sudden has a conniption that the batter switched sides.

My partner the PU says all is fine. He comes to me for my thoughts. I tell him I've got nothing, the game situation changed causing the offense to change strategy.

My partner had a heated discussion w/ DC but no EJ. (Great game management)

Back at the car we pull out the FED book. The closest rule which applies is 7-3-3:

A batter shall not... Disconcert the pitcher by stepping from the box on one side of home plate to the box on the other side while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch.

We both agreed that since time had been called the pitcher was definitely not "in position ready to pitch" and are satisfied with our call.

Discuss as I go back under my rock...

Right Call, you had nothing.

Batter can switch sides all he wants between pitches.

Yeah...I mean, if he's on the rubber, set, and the batter jumps across, that's one thing, but since time had been called, that's certainly within the rules.

However, isn't there a rule that says a batter can only switch sides once per at-bat/plate appearance?

Yeah...I mean, if he's on the rubber, set, and the batter jumps across, that's one thing, but since time had been called, that's certainly within the rules.

However, isn't there a rule that says a batter can only switch sides once per at-bat/plate appearance?

No batter can switch every pitch if he wants.

An ambidextrous pitcher may not switch once he takes the rubber as a RH or LH F1.

What's there to discuss on this?

Well, we can talk about how the DC is just another one of many in a long, long list of coaches that don't know the rules, but that's very old news.

:shakehead:

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been posting. Great to see all the usual suspects posting correctly (well, most of the time). Anyway, I agree with the No call.

This situation may come to the forefront this season as the Yanks have an ambidextrious pitcher.

it already has, this week he pitched in a spring training game.

No batter can switch every pitch if he wants.

An ambidextrous pitcher may not switch once he takes the rubber as a RH or LH F1.

Got it. I knew it was one of those that had to choose, either pitcher or batter. On a side note, anyone had a game with an ambidextrious pitcher? My high school had one when I was a senior (he was a freshman) but I've never played or called in a game with one.

oh and :yippie:

If you have an ambridextrious pitcher and a switch hitter, the batter can only switch once, other that a batter can switch all he likes.

We had a kid locally that could do it all. Played an excellent outfield, good speed with a cannon. He could pitch high eighties RH, low ninties LH and he could hit. He went to a pro tryout on a lark and they went nuts over him. He told them he wasn't interested in playing pro ball, he wanted to catch crabs for a living. :Horse: :yippie:

Edited by mstaylor

Had this happen at the HS season opener last night (at least since the rain).

The first 2 outs of the inning come pretty quickly.

B3 gets a ball through the infield for a hit

B4 comes up as a righty.

With R1, F1 feints to first - easy Balk no arguments from anybody.

Now we have 2 out R2.

Passed ball, R2 goes to third.

OC calls time talks to his batter.

B4 comes back to the plate as a lefty and bunts up the 1BL for a hit and scoring R3.

DC all of the sudden has a conniption that the batter switched sides.

My partner the PU says all is fine. He comes to me for my thoughts. I tell him I've got nothing, the game situation changed causing the offense to change strategy.

My partner had a heated discussion w/ DC but no EJ. (Great game management)

Back at the car we pull out the FED book. The closest rule which applies is 7-3-3:

We both agreed that since time had been called the pitcher was definitely not "in position ready to pitch" and are satisfied with our call.

Discuss as I go back under my rock...

I agree good call

If you have an ambridextrious pitcher and a switch hitter, the batter can only switch once, other that a batter can switch all he likes.

Depends on the rules code.

We had a kid locally that could do it all. Played an excellent outfield, good speed with a cannon. He could pitch high eighties RH, low ninties LH and he could hit. He went to a pro tryout on a lark and they went nuts over him. He told them he wasn't interested in playing pro ball, he wanted to catch crabs for a living. :WTF:banghead:

A buddy of mine I played against in HS had an older brother who was drafted in the 10th round by the White Sox. Had every school you could think of offering him ungodly amounts of money. Played center, 6'3", 190, ran a 6.4, threw 95 from the OF, and switch hit with plus power from both sides. Decided he wanted to go be a mechanic. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I guess it comes down to what makes you happy, but...jeez.

Had every school you could think of offering him ungodly amounts of money.

Wow. That many schools were willing to be sanctioned over him? He must have been good.

Care to provide rule citations ?

:wow:

NCAA: 9-2.k

FED: 6-1-1

The pitcher must declare, but the batter is not restricted (can switch just as he would if the pitcher were not ambidextrous).

NCAA: 9-2.k

FED: 6-1-1

The pitcher must declare, but the batter is not restricted (can switch just as he would if the pitcher were not ambidextrous).

Thanks for the rule cites on pitchers.

How about the batter?

Wow. That many schools were willing to be sanctioned over him? He must have been good.

Haha. Touche. Scholarship money, not just money. But far bigger than the avg baseball scholarships.

Thanks for the rule cites on pitchers.

How about the batter?

I don't recall anything special, so he can switch the same as he would if the pitcher was not ambidextrous.