How often do you eject?

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5056 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was just wondering how often do you all have to eject someone from a game?

After a few years layoff from umpiring for personal reasons I came back last fall and I am absolutely loving it.

I have yet to eject anyone from a game since I came back. (last fall and this year so far)

Maybe I am being to nice. Yes I have had a couple of discussions with coaches about a call here and there but nothing out of hand.

:shrug:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, (wet and naked for all to see) in 7 years of umping HS thru Mens league I have never ejected anyone. I think I can break my case down

yrs 1 thru 3: Too scared! I will admit it, I was "eyes wide open" every game every nightday. There were nights that I literally wanted to call in sick knowing that the game I was scheduled to do was with a less than savory team with a bad reputation as "Bitchers". I showed up and took my licks.

yrs 4-5: Not scared, but no confident enough to pull the trigger and send the message on deserving individules. These guys (and I remember them from yrs 1-3) were still working me over pretty good but backing off just a little. Coincidentally this is the time that I discovered this site (into yr. 5 or 5.5 if I remember right).

yr 6: Got geared up pretty well. took in about a yrs worth of knowledge from books, experiences, advice from vets, coaches (I respect!), and sites like this and applied them in real time situations as they came up, with confidence for a change. Worked on my mechanics, worked to improve my individule skills, worked on my apperance, and worked on my overall dedication to this venture.

yr. 7: Completely confident on the field ,behind the scenes is a different story as you guys know here with my many questions, but that is for behind closed doors, and not for the field. The individules that gave me grief early on don't even bother now.

I am a 5'9", 150lb. beast (tongue and cheek) staring down off-season DIII collage players and surley old managers who don't raise much of a stink these days. I doubt it will stay that way but I "AM" ready to pull the trigger if need be to send that message so the next "Brother in Blue" doesn't have to, because someone was pulling that trigger during my learning curve and it is time for me to step up... if need be.

Sorry for being so loquacious, it must be a full moon?

In 6 years only twice. I'm BU, A position, check swing, PU calls strike, offense mgr wants PU to ask for help, "Can't do it on a called strike Skip" Mgr flips out, kicks the David's bucket across dugout. Me: "That's enough skip" Mgr: "No, thats enough outta you!" Me: "You're done"

Second time was LL 11/12 . Kid drops F-bomb for all to hear. Sorry kid, gotta go

I was just wondering how often do you all have to eject someone from a game?

Whenever it is necessary. If someone crosses a line, they are done. If not, they stay.

I have yet to eject anyone from a game since I came back. (last fall and this year so far)

Maybe I am being to nice. Yes I have had a couple of discussions with coaches about a call here and there but nothing out of hand.

Are you regretting not ejecting in particular situations? If so, then maybe you are being too nice. If you have no regrets, then there is no reason to think that you are being a pushover. I have yet to wish I hadn't ejected someone. I have often wished that I had ejected someone, or ejected them earlier than when I actually did.

I know the intent of your question is to see if there's some sort of baseline with which you can compare your actions to those of other umpires. The thing you need to remember is that each ejection is an individualized action tailored to one specific set of circumstances. Quantifying ejections, in the general sense, is just about useless for that reason.

What would help you, though, is talking with colleagues that work the same leagues you do. They might be able to give you a feel for what flies and what doesn't in the games you work. If everyone else has ten a year, and you have none, then you can try to figure out if you have a different style of game management that is better, or if you are being a pushover.

In short, number of ejections is not important. When you eject or don't eject is the salient issue.

Got a little trigger happy in 2009 ehh, Warren?

2 were an assistant and HC back to back.

1 was MC

1 was a HC in a scrimmage going crazy about a fielder chasing a ball which had gone out of play.

1 was a HC arguing balls & strikes from the dugout.

As I think back there were probably a few more back there but I did have a couple of years w/o any.

But back to JaxRolo's question.

I wrote an article, I Will Get More Ejections, you might want to look at.

I think there can be a cycle in terms of umpiring and finding out who you are how much you're going to tolerate before pulling the trigger.

Initially, I was a bit unsure about ejecting. I wanted to be a nice guy and show I could control the game w/o ejecting people. Well this just turned me into a door mat for virtually everybody.

It really hit home for me when I saw somebody else who was being too lenient and was getting trampled on by a coach. I saw that happening to him and thought, 'That's exactly how I must look.' It wasn't looking like the nice guy, or you were in control, it was looking like a putz. The coach who I thought should have been gone made the ump look bad, and even in my bias towards umpires, the umpire lost credibility with me in the stands, and I knew the guy.

At that point I determined I wasn't going to be a door mat.

But I still have times where my lack of action has bothered me. I was in a blow out game and the winning team's catcher was huffing and puffing collapsing down when he wouldn't get the pitch called the way he wanted. I should have done something more. than tell him to cut it out. I should have made it clear to him and everybody at the game, that I had had enough.

Then guys sometimes get a little trigger happy, thinking oooh this is easy and helps get rid of my immediate problem.

Next they cut it back again and learn to rely on real game management tools and learn where their line is. "The line" is going to be in different places for different umpires. But you need to hold that line when you decide where it is.

But it is important to hold the line because as a player or coach gets away with behaving poorly, it rewards him for that. Then the next set of umpires look like the bad guys when they try the same shenanigans. So don't leave a mess for the next crew to clean up.

So there is no definate answer, it just comes with time and experience.

I have about 2 to 5 a year although my ejection rate is way down because everyone knows I will toss. Last year had two in one game and maybe one other, I not sure. I haven't had a HS ejection in several years. Te last was an asst coach that charged out of the dugout on me. He only made the ondeck circle.

Many I have had over the years have been protecting my partner or ones they should have gotten and didn't. I had around 17 one year, many partner ejections.

I don't keep track of ejections. I have had years with none and years where it seemed like I got at least 1 every week. Most of that was when we did Men's ball. Seemed like I got rid of 1 every time I did 18 and over or 28 and over leagues.

Now, I got 1 coach last week. That was the first in about 3 years.

If you are looking for a gauge then that is very subjective and depends on the umpire, the coach/player and the game situation. Whenever a coach wants to get personal then he needs to exit. If a coach wants to argue a call, that's fine, let him have his say, you have yours then tell it it's time to play and go to your position. If he follows then he goes. If you ever leave a game thinking you should have tossed or wish you had, then you should have.

Last year where I dumped two in the same game I left the manager and shouldn't have.

I do it whenever it's necessary.

Last year (both seasons) - zero

This year - (first game of the season) -1

I enforced a local rule: the HC yells "Learn to Read!". See ya.

Feel fine about it: would have felt bad if I hadn't run him...

I was working a game and enforced a local rule. The coach came out and said he was on the BOD and he had written the rule and I was wrong. I told him he wrote but I was the one interpreting it. He laughed and said that was correct and left.

Are you regretting not ejecting in particular situations?

What would help you, though, is talking with colleagues that work the same leagues you do. They might be able to give you a feel for what flies and what doesn't in the games you work. If everyone else has ten a year, and you have none, then you can try to figure out if you have a different style of game management that is better, or if you are being a pushover.

In short, number of ejections is not important. When you eject or don't eject is the salient issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have no regrets whatsoever.

I just remember back when I was Umpiring alot I had 2-4 a year.

Maybe I am just older and wiser! :nod:

Six (and a death threat) is my one game record

[pulls up chair...] Story Time! Story Time! Yaaaaay!!!!

Seriously, if you use the phrase "death threat," you have to tell the story behind. You just HAVE to. It's like a rule, or something.

Good story. My two ejection game last year was a men's game. Long story but the runner didn't want to leave second. When he did he was doing the little kid's slow walk. I told to pick it up, he made the mound on the way to the first base dugout when he sailed his helmet towrd the third base dugout. Now how he nthought he was going to stay is beyond me but he lost his mind. When he cut the helmet loose, the asst coach came running out of the dugout with a very lond,"Noooooooo!" But he was already gone. The player pulled his shirt off and threw it at me as two guys pulled him off the field. Amazing.

We don't usually have problems like this because all the officers of the league are umpires.

I skipped ahead and didn't read all...........but I have ZERO ejections over about 15-16 years. I was once told that umpires don't eject........they just confirm their desire to no longer participate in the game.

And that was a kid for malicious contact. He lowered his shoulder going into home.. I think I was a little over zealous I ran my punch out and ejection mechanics all into one big blur and was told later it looked like I was trying to kill a bee. I have read several posts on here about ejections you don't make and later regret and I have two so I am curious to find out if my regret is justified.

#1 Runner going into third and the play is close but definitely out to end the inning and head coach in third base coaches box goes nuts!!!! As he and I are walking back across the diamond (they were in the first base dugout) he says to me GET OFF YOUR KNEES YOU ARE BLOWING THE GAME! well it is a jv game and he is the only coach so instead of running him I restrict to the dugout. Still regret it wish I had given him the heave ho.

#2 13 and 14 yr olds and 2nd baseman rung up on strikes in the top half in the bottom half he misses the tag on the runner stealing and I call him safe. The kid then looks over at the shortstop and says loud enough for me to hear God these Umpires Suck. So I say to him and his coach we are not putting up with that crap and if he wants to continue you better talk to him coach. I thought they only had nine players and I didn't want this dip:censored: to ruin it for the other 8 who were playing hard.. turns out they had 10 and I should have ran him.

those are my two regrets :HS

Thanks

Cody

#1 Gone and I'd hope there'd be a greater suspension from the school system. That has no business on the scholastic field.

#2 Gone.

When you get to the point of the EJ don't consider the rest of what other things are going on. Let the other kids have to forfeit and let them and their parents (okay wishful thinking there) help apply justice.

It sounds to me like you're being a bit too nice, but you need to find your own level of comfort.