moblue

Touch After Home Run

It's normal for a runner to be swarmed by his teammates at the plate after he hits a homerun. What should you do if you set up to watch the runner touch home, but his teammates block your view before you see the touch, then the defense appeals that he missed home? I haven't had this happen to me yet (knock on wood), but you never know when it could.

Get out in front of the plate in fair territory to get a look at it. This will usually put you in a good position to see it.

Now, if you don't see whether he touches or not, then don't call an out on appeal. Basically, you can't call what you can't see. If you can't see it, then odds are, others couldn't see it and they are just guessing.

I would always go with "Can't call an out if you don't see one". Just do your best to get the best view.

Get out in front of the plate in fair territory to get a look at it. This will usually put you in a good position to see it.

Now, if you don't see whether he touches or not, then don't call an out on appeal. Basically, you can't call what you can't see. If you can't see it, then odds are, others couldn't see it and they are just guessing.

I would always go with "Can't call an out if you don't see one". Just do your best to get the best view.

agreed!

On another note. I personally am not allowing them to swarm the plate unless its a walk-off. In which case I don't care what they do.

I always get to the front of the plate and tell the other players to let him touch. I have never had any problem with this so far. I certainly would not call an out on appeal unless I saw him miss.

It's normal for a runner to be swarmed by his teammates at the plate after he hits a homerun.

It is? Before he touches the plate?

Work with your other umpires / the league (assuming it's rec ball of some sort and not FED) so this isn't "normal." If you need suggestions, find the NCAA rule on this and propose it as a league rule.

Maybe I worded that the wrong way. I was referring to the fact that when teammates show up at the plate to congratulate their teammate, they often seem to circle the plate and you can't always see for sure if the BR touches home. I don't do college ball. What's their rule say?

ncaa rule says "base runners and on deck batter only on the dirt around home plate." i have used this for all levels i've worked throughout the years, just tell them when they come close to stay off the dirt.

Here is the NCAA rule, a good one to use everywhere:

d. After a home run, no offensive team member, other than the base

coaches, shall touch the batter-runner before home plate has been

touched. Team personnel, except for preceding base runners, shall not

enter the dirt area at home plate to congratulate the batter-runner.

PENALTY for c. and d.—After a warning for the first offense, ejection

from the contest of one of the offending players.

It's normal for a runner to be swarmed by his teammates at the plate after he hits a homerun.

In HS and College it is no longer Normal as both FED / NCAA addresed this issue years ago.

It is "normal" for youth ball because most youth organizations adopt OBR with modifications and do not EXPLICTILY address this issue. FWIW youth organizations should adopt FED/NCAA language concerning both the rules and safety regulations because many of these type questions are SPELLED out in both FED/NCAA but that's a different thread altogether.

What to do

It's simple:

You do not allow the teammates to mob the plate in the firts place. As soon as you see them come out put a stop to it. Something like gentlemen I need to see the plate or something along those lines.

I do not like "House Rules" but this would be a good "house rule" for a youth league to adopt.

Pete Booth

In HS and College it is no longer Normal as both FED / NCAA addresed this issue years ago.

How did FED address this? They did address coming out of the dugout during live ball play, but I don't recall anything about afer a homerun (dead ball). Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I watched a Varsity game yesterday with three homeruns. Each time the players stood around the plate and waited for the runner to touch home before they congratulated him. It didn't seem to be a problem. Home runs are more common in high school so I guess that's why it isn't as much of a problem there. In youth leagues is where my question probably applies more. Sounds like a simple solution; just tell them to let him touch home first.

I agree with the above quote but insist to the point of yelling to the players to "give him room, fellas" works. That gets their attention. Almost happened twice in my career. Caught me by suprise both times but I averted it, thankfully.

The reason for the NCAA rule of staying off the dirt is to avoid taunting. This is not a bad mechanic to follow when possible.