Coach or First Name

Astrosdawg07
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some areas use "coach"

Some use the first name

Some don't care

Sometimes it depends on whether you know both of them beforehand.

Sometimes it depends on whether it's a visiting travel team.

The only consensus is that you should use the same from for both. Other than that, do what those you respect in your area do.

Some areas use "coach"

Some use the first name

Some don't care

Sometimes it depends on whether you know both of them beforehand.

Sometimes it depends on whether it's a visiting travel team.

The only consensus is that you should use the same from for both. Other than that, do what those you respect in your area do.

Problem is its something that has never been addressed. :2cents: I was just curious as to what everyone else did.

You could be the most respectful SOB out there and still piss off a coach regardless of how you address them.

I've had coaches get mad because I called them by name. I had a coach get mad because I referred to him as coach, not the manager.

You get the point; we could do this all day.

I prefer using their first name because that is what I prefer. I hate being called Blue (especially when I am not wearing Blue, though I find the subsequent "uh..I mean...black / red / watching them try to describe cream is the best)...uh...ump". I don't like being "ump"; if a coach calls me "umpy" I'll ask them on the spot not to refer to me as that again

Chris is fine. No sir, no Mr Umpire, no Mr Umpire sir. Being the game official doesn't make me superior or inferior to anyone, so I address (and expect to be addressed) as I would in any other sort of professional capacity.

Not a crack at me is it. :2cents:

Hey look, Jerry made it over here from ABUA. Man, is he a pesky SOB.

None of this is a pet peeve of mine. When dealing with rec ball, I am not expecting them to remember my name. They have a hard enough time remembering their players' name sometimes.

Being called "ump" or "blue" makes no difference to me. When doing higher level ball, it makes a difference to the HC. Many would rather be called by their name rather than some title.

Base it on what others do in your area for the level of ball you are calling. There is no universal answer as Ump_24's response shows.

My following thoughts really apply more to lower level baseball (sub HS) ....it enters more into the summer ball, travel team and tournament seasons when one team may know the crew more than the others....

In that case, I do not prefer to be called by my first name. I do however introduce myself to the coaches, but that is the last time I will use first names. I have a bit of an aversion to being called by my first name by coaches and players, as I worry that that familiarity could be misconstrued by the opposing team as to mean that I am biased.

Early in my umpiring career I did a tourney....one of the teams I had done games for in the year was in the championship game and I was the UIC. The game went well with no issues ( I thought) .....After the game, as I was passing the losing team dugout, I heard the coach say "I knew we were going to get hosed when I heard those umpires calling their coaches by the first name".......

Kind of made an impression on me I did not want to have made....In hindsight, I could have alleviated the problem by making sure I used both coaches names..........but since then, I have mainly used coach and sir to address coaches.....

In my experience, in the HS and college level, it is very common for both coaches and umpires to call each other by the first name. Most often those coaches and umpires have long associations and are well known to both sides....when you have been doing this as long as I have, most often it is difficult to find a coach who does not know you (or your name)..... During the course of the plate meeting I will introduce myself to both coaches using my first and last name...if they choose to call me that I am fine with it,...I certainly don’t make an issue of it.....I choose to call them coach during the game......

My personal thoughts on the issue are to maintain the highest level of professionalism I feel comfortable with.....no more no less....The last thing I want to do is put a barrier up to communication between myself and coaches and players.

Edited by Stan W.

I try to use first name. If I forget or don't catch it, coach is fine.

I have been called blue (baseball, softball & football), ump (bb,sb), ref (bb,sb,fb & wrestling), and coach (fb, wrestling). And by my name in all 4 sports. I don't take offense to any of them. Some people are just ignorant of common courtesy, even outside the sports world.

First names. I'll write them down as they're heading back to the dugouts.

If I blank out, I'll go with Skipper or Boss for the manager. "Hey you" for the coaches.

Me, I prefer "Your Honor". Someone dropped that on me years ago, and it took me a while to recover.

"Your Honor, may I approach the plate?"

Edited by kylejt

If I don't know the coaches, it's sir. Score keepers are usually ma'am.

If the coach gets lippy, then it's simply coach.

Right before the heave, it's just hey.

...unless of course I know the coach then I call him or her by their names. If they know mine, I prefer to be called Brandon.

Under no circumstances am I to be called ref. I've come close to stopping games to correct a player, and been close to tossing some coach for ref... :)

... ok not really. :2cents:

"Blue" is ok if you don't know my name.

...just not ref... or ump... "ump" sounds like an onomatopoeia... blue is fine.

I do not prefer to be called by my first name. I do however introduce myself to the coaches, but that is the last time I will use first names. I have a bit of an aversion to being called by my first name by coaches and players, as I worry that that familiarity could be misconstrued by the opposing team as to mean that I am biased. .

I completely agree,

I don't mind being refered to as "Hey Blue!" at all just so long as they make sure to add the "Blue" to it, and nothing else ... F@%*#^ BLUE!!!

I prefer to be called by my first name and I try to do the same with the managers. If they call me blue or ump, I'm OK with it. I have one varsity manager that knows my name very well and is probably polite guys I know always calls me Mr. Umpire during the game. Before and after the game he uses my name, just not during the game.

No sir ... Being the game official doesn't make me superior or inferior to anyone, so I address (and expect to be addressed) as I would in any other sort of professional capacity.

I have to disagree with this. Calling someone "sir" isn't always showing superiority -- it's showing respect. I was taught as a kid to use "sir" and "ma'am" whenever I don't know someone's name. Therefore, when a coach asks me a question, I will answer "Yes sir," even if I know their name. It's showing respect for their position, not lifting them (or myself) on a pedestal.

I have to disagree with this. Calling someone "sir" isn't always showing superiority -- it's showing respect. I was taught as a kid to use "sir" and "ma'am" whenever I don't know someone's name. Therefore, when a coach asks me a question, I will answer "Yes sir," even if I know their name. It's showing respect for their position, not lifting them (or myself) on a pedestal.

+1

Respect is a 4-lane, two-way street.

I will typically say 'sir' even to high school aged players.

#15- Batter: "Blue, is it 2-1?"

Me: "Yes, sir, 2-1."

#15 - "Thank you, sir."

Frankly, I find it pretty refreshing to hear a 17 year old use respectful terms like this, but I am also providing them with the same level of respect that they are with me. I just do this out of habit. First names for managers are fine, but it can get a little overdone if you're constantly referring to him as 'Tim'.

I've found that 'Sir' can be a universal name, and I use it quite often.

Edited by BrianC14
clarity

I use their first name. They are not my coach. :GL:(Although there's a few that think they are.)

They are not your coach or mine for that matter but that is their title while on the field.

+1

Respect is a 4-lane, two-way street.

I will typically say 'sir' even to high school aged players.

I've found that 'Sir' can be a universal name, and I use it quite often.

Agree 100 %......growing up southern and a military kid, I learned that sir is the universal answer to most questions/situations.....using it can never be wrong...

I'll use their name, but of course only if I can remember both of their names. I don't care what they call me as long as it's clean; I realize "Lydon" isn't easy to remember, and I'd rather hear "Blue" than "Lyndon" or "Leon(:HS)" all game. However, my biggest pet peeve is when the coach remembers and calls me by my name the first six innings, then when he doesn't like a call in the seventh, comes at me spitting out "Blue" like it's a different four-letter word.