Called Dead Ball????

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Situation.

Baserunner on 1st, PU calls DEAD BALL in the middle of the pitch, Batter hits ball, grd ball to SS who throws BR out @ 2nd. My question:

Is the ball DEAD runner ruturns to 1st. Batter returns to plate to ontinue his AB?

Thx

First - There is no such thing as a call "Dead Ball". There is "Time" which is the proper call. Sounds like a Umpire that does not know what he is doing.

Why did he kill it in the middle of the pitch?

Regardless, he killed it. No pitch. Batter remains at the plate and R1 returns to 1B.

Find a better partner or tell him to learn what he is doing.

Situation.

Baserunner on 1st, PU calls DEAD BALL in the middle of the pitch, Batter hits ball, grd ball to SS who throws BR out @ 2nd. My question:

Is the ball DEAD runner ruturns to 1st. Batter returns to plate to ontinue his AB?

Thx

That's got to the fastest B/R I've ever heard of, if he can go from the plate to second base on a grounder to short. :D

In addition, read Semper Fi's reply. No such thing as a "Dead Ball" call (may the ball Rest In Peace) - and the umpire clearly erred in calling a 'Dead Ball' and killing the play in the middle of a pitch.

Thx, I sent the runner back to 1b, but he over turned me and called the base runner out saying a dead ball could be hit and called the BR out @ 2nd:confused:

Then take Semper Fi's last line very seriously.

I'm still wondering how the B/R can get to 2B on a grounder to short, though... :D I'll assume you meant R1 was thrown out at 2B, yes?

a dead ball could be hit and called the BR out

A time out, dead ball, foul ball means STOPPAGE OF PLAY does it not?

I think your partner was on crack.

Perhaps the pitcher balked and he called it? However maybe because he got confused on the difference between a delayed deadball situation and an automatic deadball situation that he mistakenly said "deadball!"

The only time you're killing the play during a pitch is if the league you are working has the stupid rule that a ball is dead when a pitcher commits a balk.

Like Brian said, find a new partner - this guy isn't an umpire.

Now down to the serious business:

Ladies and gentleman, we are gathered here today to celebrate the life of our beloved Rawlings...

*sniff* - - and he was still just a pearl ! :D

The only time you're killing the play during a pitch is if the league you are working has the stupid rule that a ball is dead when a pitcher commits a balk....

Not to steal the thread, but why is this stupid?:BD:

It is the Fed rule. Yes there are some funky things coming out of the fed, but this is not one of them.

I know you folks from the great white north don't deal in Fed. How many times have you called a balk in an ORB situation and action continued? Fewer than the alternative would be my guess.

It really doesn't matter...it just struck a nerve for some reason.:stir

Edited by LMSANS
typo

Not to steal the thread, but why is this stupid?:bang:

It is the Fed rule. Yes there are some funky things coming out of the fed, but this is not one of them.

I know you folks from the great white north don't deal in Fed. How many times have you called a balk in an ORB situation and action continued? Fewer than the alternative would be my guess.

It really doesn't matter...it just struck a nerve for some reason.:beerbang

Personally, it penalizes the offense for a mistake made by the defense. Ask in any organization that's been doing FED for a while, and I'm sure you'll find the "pitcher balked and the hitter smoked the ball" story -- they're countless around here. Everyone's cheering the homer or triple down the line -- and it's all for naught.

The only explanation I've ever heard is that "it's less confusing on the umpires," yet, in my opinion, catcher's interference (obstruction) is A LOT more confusing to handle than a simple balk.

You're right. Most balks are killed before the pitch, especially with umpires that kill it quickly and loudly. However, in the rare instances it's not killed before the pitch, and the batter actually does something with the pitch, it's unfair to the offense.

Not to steal the thread, but why is this stupid?:2cents:

I can't say my game count is as high as others, but in about 450 games, with 300-350 of them being OBR-based, I've had it happen twice. Better still? Same game. Icing on the cake? Same F1. (No, not the same inning, although that would have classic.) Batter put the ball in play both times.

And better still, I got to rule both ways on it - one where everybody moved up at least one base, and one where they didn't.

I agree that most balks stumble to a halt once the "That's a balk!" happens. But I got this guy both times for not coming to a stop, and he ran the stop so badly that the ball was out of his hand as I'm saying it. I was at least smart enough to maintain my stance (I was PU), so I didn't get brained.

Good times.

My favorite balk story. Pony state tournament, I'm U3 in a four man, bases loaded. I balked the pitcher, he pitched anyway. The batter hit the ball, everyone advanced and the BR made first so no balk. hen the weirdest thing happened, the offensive manager came out and asked what happened to the balk. I explained the balk was nullified by the advances. He said there was no way and asked if we were using pro rules. I said sure which was why it was nullified. He insisted that we had to enforce the balk. I asked him if he had bases loaded and I balked the pitcher and his batter hit a grand slam did he want the HR or the balk? He said the balk. :WTF:banghead: I sent him to the dugout and carried on.