Umpiring & Resume

Astrosdawg07
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4617 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't have a umpiring resume, but it has been suggested to build one for assignors who may not be familiar with you.

As for placing umpiring on your professional resume, speaking as an HR professional who has been in the field for nearly 14 years, I'd be very cautious. You need to be able to tie it to the rest of your other experience and the job you are going for.

That being said, I open discuss umpiring in interviews (unfortunately I've been on the interviewee side of the table too many times the last 6-8 months) I often refer to umpiring when discussing being assertive, using good judgement and any number of other things.

AstrosDawg,

I've never put umpiring on my "professional" resume, and doubt I ever will.

Of course, the first time I umpired a game, I was 51 years old.

I encourage the younger umpires I know - just coming out of college or whatever - to include it on theirs. It can demonstrate maturity, responsibility, etc. for a younger person.

Were I to put together an "umpire resume", I would include training, levels/leagues worked, any recognition/promotion/award I'd received, etc..

JM

I have it listed under Work Experience, because right now its my only income. Its all anyone wants to talk to me about during interviews now, which probably helps if I'm looking for a customer service job, but not so much a tech job.

What's your "tech job" for? There are ways to tie it in. The easiest way is the "problem/solution" way of umpiring -- you see a problem and you have to fix it. Doing this requires a strong knowledge of the rules of the game (such as a strong knowledge of the program you're operating or the programming language you learn) in order to solve the problem.

Believe me, there are ways to tie in all aspects of your past (even unemployment) into the job you're applying for.

An umpire resume is great when looking to get into associations that are unfamiliar of your work. Most college associations will request an umpire resume when seeking membership. Things that should go into your resume should include a year by year breakdown of all leagues, tournaments, associations that you belong to during that year. Also include any camps/clinics/schools that you attended each year, as well as any special accolades/tournament assignments you received during that season. For example here is an excerpt from this year from my resume:

Associations/Camps/Clinics

• 2011 Graduate of Tony Thompson’s Southern Umpire Camp(2-man System)
  • Attended 2011 NCAA Baseball Umpire Clinic -Nashville, TN
  • Attended GHSA/NFHS Rules Clinic - Atlanta GA
  • Attended GHSA/NFHS Umpire Mechanics Clinic in - Atlanta GA
  • Member Of Southern Collegiate Umpires Association (SCUA)
  • Member of Marietta Umpires Association (MUA) (GHSA-Affiliated)
  • Member of Georgia District 2 LL Volunteer Umpires
  • Member LL Southern Region Umpires
  • Sunbelt League Umpire Staff (Atlanta’s Premier College wood-bat summer league)

Tournaments/Leagues/Accomplishments

• Collegiate Umpire (SCUA) - Completing 20 games (NAIA, NJCAA, NCAA Div. II, III)
  • Umpired 23 Regular season GHSA Varsity Baseball Games
  • Recognized as Most Outstanding Student 2011 Southern Umpire Camp
  • Umpired GHSA Varsity State Playoff’s
  • Selected Sunbelt League ALL-Star Game Crew Chief
  • Selected to umpire Sunbelt League semi-final series
  • Selected to umpire Sunbelt League Championship Series
  • Selected to Umpire 2011 Senior League Southeast Regional – Vero Beach FL. (Highest rated Umpire out of 8, awarded championship plate)
  • Selected to Umpire the 2011 USA Baseball Breakthrough Series – Carry, NC (Highest rated Umpire out of 6, awarded championship plate- televised on MLB Network
  • Received full Scholarship from MLB to attend 2011 MLBUC in Long Beach, CA

As a college assignor I would look for the following things in an umpire resume...

Personal Information - contact info, employment, education, etc.

Umpire Training & Education - clinics & schools you've attended and years attended

BRIEF Umpire History - Don't list year by year, just the facts (HS Districts 1999-present, Legion State Tourn. 2003 & 2009, etc.) ALSO, consider what level you are applying for - if you want to get into a college conference, the supervisor isn't going to care you were rated the best "ball putter on the tee umpire" when you umpired tee ball in 1983.

Umpire references - I personally pay more attention to this than any other items on the resume. I want to know who will vouch for you and if those people are reputable. I'm going to contact them and they are going to tell me all I need to know about you. So regardless of what you've listed above, for me it's going to come down to this.

An umpiring resume should not take up more than the front side of a sheet of paper. Anything more than that is bragging and most likely is not going to help your cause, and might hurt it.

• Like 2

Umpire references - I personally pay more attention to this than any other items on the resume. I want to know who will vouch for you and if those people are reputable. I'm going to contact them and they are going to tell me all I need to know about you. So regardless of what you've listed above, for me it's going to come down to this.

And anyone who puts someone on here that wouldn't give them a good reference is stupid. But I'm sure I'd be surprised.

i have both a professional and umpire resume. I do have umpiring listed on my professional one but all it says is umpire and my association under activities. My umpire resume has each level of baseball ive worked, for what league, what association, and for how long with my assignors as references on it