Pitching Substitution (MLB sitch)

maxs
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4626 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was at the Nationals-Phillies game tonight and an interesting situation came up:

Plate meeting is held, then with two outs in the top of the first, the skies open up and there's a two and a half hour rain delay.

When teams come back out, Nationals pitcher finishes the inning, BUT in the bottom half of the first the Phillies put in a substitute pitcher (Kyle Kendrick for Roy Oswalt) even though Oswalt hasn't appeared.

Doesn't this violate the rule that the pitcher named on the card has to throw to at least one batter? Or does the rain delay qualify somehow under the injury exception?

I'm guessing the MLB guys got it right, but I'm hoping to learn something from this one

(Game recap: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...mlb_1&mode=wrap)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they're not required to continue.

When you deal with a delay of some sort - be it weather, lights, etc - managers are allowed to circumvent this rule (courtesy of another rule), generally for the safety of the pitcher.

Consider also - what happens if a game is suspended, a pitcher by rule required to appeal, and when the game is resumed, the pitcher is injured, in the minors, or playing for another team?

Thanks, that makes sense, especially because of the long delay. I'm just wondering if it's a rule/ruling somewhere or if it's just approved because it's not violating the spirit of the rule. I flipped through the OBR book quickly before I posted, and didn't see any exceptions there.

On a side note - this would be the same in all codes, right?

4.12©: Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup.

Ah - there it is. Knew it had to be in there somewhere.

Thanks!

It's not a suspended game. (See 2.00)

MLBUM 3.4

NOTE: If a pitcher has been brought into the game but has not faced one batter (or retired the side) when the game is stopped for weather, such pitcher may, but is not required to, continue pitching when the game is resumed.