uncaught third strike/check swing

Where did this come from? Did you read the post you quoted me on? It had nothing to do with "No, he didn't go". Not once was that mentioned in that post. Maybe you weren't able to make sense of it b/c you didn't even read it.

I owe you a apology.... I had a really bad morning and i responded to quickly.... So I'm sorry for e yelling at you...LOL

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owe you a apology.... I had a really bad morning and i responded to quickly.... So I'm sorry for e yelling at you...LOL

Why can't we all just get along?? LOL!! :FIRE::Horse::hopmad::bang::BD::kissass::banghead::tantrum::BD:

Because our Umpire In Chief has provided us with a way to act out our aggressions!! LOL

I have now gone back and read the whole thread. On a check swing,third strike I will say ball and imediately ask my partner. I do teach the advanced mechanic of having the BU showing strike unsolicited if the PU is slow on asking. I only use it with upper level guys who generally don't need to use it because they ask imediately.

What I have been taught in numerous clinics taught by guys from both schools is to use the "No he didn't go" mechanic if I am sure there was no swing. If I am not sure, I'm asking.

I will not say anything Unless I think he went, if he didnt go, then unless asked I will not ask BU..I dont care about asking him, or if there is some delay then he is suppose to call it a ball cause I waited to ask him ( i have never heard of this wives tale
)

That is NOT an "old wives tale" A poster quoted the mechanic from the MLBUM and the PU is supposed to go to his partner RIGHT AWAY not wait to be asked by the manager.

IMO< the important aspect of this thread is not about what the PU says meaning a simple "ball" or if the PU says "Ball he didn't go". IMO, that's irrelevant.

What is relevant is the TIMING.

Sitch: Count is 3-2. Ball is in dirt and B1 checks his swing and you say ball or "ball no he didn't go" (as mentioned IMO it doesn't matter) but you DO NOT check with your partner.

In the mean-time B1 trots down to first base. The DM wants you to check with your partner. It's TOO LATE. Even if the BU reverses the call the runner is still safe at first base since he is standing there already.

OR

No DK3 involved. With 2 strikes B1 checks swing and umpire calls ball. Doesn't check with his partner. The DM requests and is granted TIME. The DM wants the PU to check with his partner. The PU is adament about it but after some time (approx 5 minutes just to get the DM off his back) he FINALLY decides to check with the BU. Again TOO late because the PU has now put his partner the BU in a precarious position and "hung him out to dry" if he wants to change the call.

Bottom Line: On a questionable swing in which the PU calls ball check with your partner IMMEDIATELY. It takes all of 2 seconds and looks professional. As mentioned if the PU says Ball or Ball No he didn't go is irrelevant as long as the appeal to one's partner is done immediately.

Pete Booth

This point is covered in the MLBUM:

8.7 "VOLUNTARY STRIKE"

In the situation where the third strike eludes the catcher on a half-swing and the batter-runner is entitled to run to first base, the appeal should be made to the base umpire instantly (without waiting for a request from the defense); but even if the appeal is not instant, the appropriate base umpire should immediately and voluntarily make a call of strike IF the base umpire is going to reverse the plate umpire's call. This will give the batter the immediate opportunity to run.

Don't know if I agree with that last part, especially when dealing with non-MLB guys who may forget to employ this.

My crew used this mechanic last year... When I'm at home we just go over it in pregame.

As I understand it, the NCAA has asked the plate umpires on a DTS to come up with the "safe" signal and say "play on, play on" just loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear it. Has anyone tried this? How well does it work? I always used to just stay silent with the safe signal but my HS association has asked that we give this a try.

As I understand it, the NCAA has asked the plate umpires on a DTS to come up with the "safe" signal and say "play on, play on" just loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear it. Has anyone tried this? How well does it work? I always used to just stay silent with the safe signal but my HS association has asked that we give this a try.

actually it's "safe signal, and verbalize no catch, no catch"

Edited by mazzamouth

not sure that i like the notion of remaining silent when this situation presents itself. just seems like you are exposing yourself to an unwanted can of worms

We are taught to be proactive as the base ump. If we see a checked swing attempt by the batter that we would ring up as strike three on a dropped third strike, we don't wait to be asked by the plate ump. Quickly and loudly, "Yes he went", gives the runner a heads up as to where he should be going and the defense likewise. No advantage to either side. :question1:

True (although I say "no catch" or "ball's on the grond" instead of "play on") if there's any doubt about the pitch not being caught. I've used it for 5+ years with no problems.