Goals?

mazzamouth
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5108 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok So what are some Season goals? For me it is to make sure I pregame w/ my partners, try to rub up baseball ( hell I even bought some Baseball mud) hustle, be humble on and off the field. Work hard to get to the college postseason again this year.

Another thing I'm really trying to work on is ready a bad throw and adjusting to the play( I'm referring to a throw to a base) and not just staying still making sure I move to get a great angle.

Also want to go another season without a EJ.. I had some situations last year, but I can talk to coaches well and explain myself as to not make more problems...

So what are some of your guys goals.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok So what are some Season goals? For me it is to make sure I pregame w/ my partners, try to rub up baseball ( hell I even bought some Baseball mud) hustle, be humble on and off the field. Work hard to get to the college postseason again this year.

Another thing I'm really trying to work on is ready a bad throw and adjusting to the play( I'm referring to a throw to a base) and not just staying still making sure I move to get a great angle.

Also want to go another season without a EJ.. I had some situations last year, but I can talk to coaches well and explain myself as to not make more problems...

So what are some of your guys goals.

I have only one goal.

Don't suck.

:clap:

I was thinking about starting a thread like this. Great minds must think alike;) One of mine is to get better positioning on plays. I also want to pre-game better and to use better communication with my partner. I also want to get better at recognizing balk or no balk.

Goals:

#1 Don't screw up a rule. (although the ncaa dh rule doesn't count cause i still don't get that one...jk)

#2 Don't miss an ej.

#3 Keep my ejs under 15 this year.... just the same i dont care if i have 1 or 40. If the gotta go, they gotta go.

#4 Don't put myself in a position that I'll have to come back and get help on that play. (only went for help once last year)

Edited by arbiter22

same list every year.....

1. Do Better baseball, not just more baseball....

2. Focus....maintain a high level of focus, regardless of the level of play

3. Be in correct position...nothing can bite you worse than being out of position

4. Be cool, calm and professional to all participants.....

5. Be correct on my rulings

6. Learn from my mistakes

Edited by Stan W.
clarity

Goals:

#1 Don't screw up a rule. (although the ncaa dh rule doesn't count cause i still don't get that one...jk)

#2 Don't miss an ej.

#3 Keep my ejs under 15 this year.... just the same i dont care if i have 1 or 40. If the gotta go, they gotta go.

#4 Don't put myself in a position that I'll have to come back and get help on that play. (only went for help once last year)

holy cow.... I have EJ 15 people in 4 yrs of baseball...LOL

EJs are of no concern to me. I am not there to worry about how many I get. However, I haven't had any in a few years since we haven't done any men's league games. When we did those, I ended up going on the field wondering which one would go today. It seemed like it was at least 1 or 2 a month and we only called it on Sundays. Since then, maybe 1 or 2 and that was due to "No contact" rule violation or a player/coach just had to go for their attitude/actions.

Goals: Brian nailed it. Don't suck.

EJs are of no concern to me. I am not there to worry about how many I get. However, I haven't had any in a few years since we haven't done any men's league games. When we did those, I ended up going on the field wondering which one would go today. It seemed like it was at least 1 or 2 a month and we only called it on Sundays. Since then, maybe 1 or 2 and that was due to "No contact" rule violation or a player/coach just had to go for their attitude/actions.

Goals: Brian nailed it. Don't suck.

your right Im not there to worry, but to have that many?... It just seems like a lot to me. thats all.

ncaa, thats my goal I do juco and small college ball now but ncaa is my goal. im working hard and will continue to do so. another goal is to treat every game like it is a big game, even a babe ruth game is a big game to the kids. sometimes I need to remind myself of that.

Tommy... if your goal is NCAA you might want to think about the BBUC camp in Sacramento, Ca. Nov. 3-7, 2010. The camp will have a very impressive lineup of NCAA D-1 guys (among others) as instructors, along with some other great opportunities (live bullpens, etc.). If you want more info, pm me with an e-mail address and i will send it to you.

ncaa, thats my goal I do juco and small college ball now but ncaa is my goal. im working hard and will continue to do so. another goal is to treat every game like it is a big game, even a babe ruth game is a big game to the kids. sometimes I need to remind myself of that.

Hey tommy where do you live? i used to live in Monterey and worked for the CCCBUA I can give you that guys email addy.

My goal is to advance as many as my umpires up through the post-season ranks as I can. Last year put a 13 year old on the dish of a city championship game, and put a 13 and 14 year on Division games. In SoCal, that ain't bad.

This year, I'm working on an all female(Moms) crew. When I roll them out for the city tourney, the other leagues will flip.

Tommy... if your goal is NCAA you might want to think about the BBUC camp in Sacramento, Ca. Nov. 3-7, 2010. The camp will have a very impressive lineup of NCAA D-1 guys (among others) as instructors, along with some other great opportunities (live bullpens, etc.). If you want more info, pm me with an e-mail address and i will send it to you.

The scuttlebug here in the Portland area is that Tom Hiler will be at the BBUC camp as well... or at least have someone watching for him there. Tom is the guy that does the Umpire Development (among other things) for all of the NCAA as well as is the assignor for CCAA (D2 ball in CA) as well as the assignor for the NCUA which does the JuCo, NAIA, D3 and D2 in Oregon, Washington and I believe at least a little bit of Idaho.

1. Make sure I am in the correct position to make the call

2. Learn from my mistakes

3. Continue to build a personal network of peers

4. Attend International Umpires Camp in Atlanta, GA

5. Begin a journal

And as Brian stated don't suck

All good goals.

You will love the International camp I can't say enough about it. I'm actually heading down to Atlanta for the Southern Camp this week.

• 1 month later...

I had a lengthy phone conversation with Billy Haze about a week or so ago re: BBUC. He has a real vision for the event, both in November and as a continuing affair. It is in California (a real plus...I have family in Sacramento) and it is a bit less costly than Evans. I think it is going to be a great event, and, as it stands now, I am definitely planning to attend.