Sign in to follow this  
fan1775

Wilson A3290 Gerry Davis chest protector

One of my good umpire friends has this CP. He says it works great. There are hard shells embedded into the soft shell padding so it's light and gives a good deal of protection.

As I recall it isn't recommended for varsity ball? Which means the protection is good, but could be better.

I guess it would depend on what level you do now, but more importantly what level you plan to do in the future.. It's always best to spend a little extra cash to to get one CP for games today, tomorrow, and three years from now than it is to buy on now, and one later. It's more expensive in the long run.

I made the same mistake, then I found these forums ;)

Welcome to the forums!

I have one personally,I would not wear it on a H.S. field it does have hard shell plates in it but the protection is not the greatest.If you work L.L. it will be fine. ;)

it has some bulk to it,like all cp's even if all you are going to do is L.L. you should look into a hard shell for a few dollars more you can get better protection than the gerry davis cp http://umpire-empire.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=76&stc=1&d=1265928378

^ That is one heck of a CP for the money. I had one for a while. I can personally vouch for the quality of protection. It's very very good. (not as good as the Plat or Gold) I would suggest the Wilson charcoal but like I said my firend has a GD CP.

Plus with the charcoal, you can use the bicep guard! :BD:

....but don't ;)

All I do - and plan to do - is little league stuff, so it sounds like this might be OK.

That's fine, I do 95% LL stuff. But I've run across kids that throw 80+ from 46 feet away. You can't blink that fast. And it really hurts when you get nailed by a foul off that sort of heat.

Listen to the veteran guys here, do yourself a big favor, and buy a hard shell chest protector. The Wilson West Vest Platinum comes in your size.

I have a garage full of average gear that I no longer use. I've learned my lesson the hard ($) way, and I wish someone told me what I'm telling you now. Buy pro gear. Trust me, OK is not good enough when it comes to protecting your heart.

Buy pro gear. Trust me, OK is not good enough when it comes to protecting your heart.

These were nearly the exact words that MLB medical advisor Mark Letendre (the guy who;s the head trainer to all the umpires) spoke to us at the MLB clinic. And he said it like it applied to everyone at every level of play.