Your Worst Injury Story

Chance
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5060 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When I went to the doctor he told me that he had treated Umpires before and that some umpires wear a protective Gel type padding that goes on top of the regular padding for better protection.

Has anyone heard of this?

:banghead:

The worst I ever saw was as a Head Varsity baseball coach, before BESR was around. We were the visiting team, I had a big ol' country boy at bat and he hit a line drive that hit the pitcher on the side of his head and then went into left center field for a double. They took the pitcher to the hospital nut he was OK.

Then on the same field not more than a week later the home team this time hits a line drive that hits the pitcher square in the nose....broke two orbital bones and multiple facial fractures, concussion out cold. The kid recovered...if you can EVER recover from that!

umpiring a major game 3 seasons ago, we had a top of the line pitcher in our league, 12 years old and threw cheese ... i was behind the dish without plate shoes (I was a non-believer back then) ... and took a fastball straight to the top of the right foot, catcher never got a thought about catching it.

anyway, the end result was 3 broken bones leading from the toes to the ankle ... sat out the rest of the season and bought plate shoes in the offseason ... now I preach the importance of plate shoes!

umpiring a major game 3 seasons ago, we had a top of the line pitcher in our league, 12 years old and threw cheese ... i was behind the dish without plate shoes (I was a non-believer back then) ... and took a fastball straight to the top of the right foot, catcher never got a thought about catching it.

anyway, the end result was 3 broken bones leading from the toes to the ankle ... sat out the rest of the season and bought plate shoes in the offseason ... now I preach the importance of plate shoes!

Now that you have plate shows, try dusting them off and doing more games...Oh yea, dont forget your shin guards next time:rock

Hi folks!

I have no real bad injury story like you guys, thank goodness. But I have to ask if anyone else has a time during the season when you get hit so often you feel like one of the ducks at a mechanical shooting galley, and some guy is winning one of those big stuffed animals by hitting you all the time?

In the last two weeks, I have had 5 head shots (from college/HS/and even 13 yr. old ball), a bruise on my leg that went 3/4 of the way around my upper leg (missed HS Fast ball) two bruises on my stomach area below my CP, a bruise on the back of my left hand, a bruise on my left arm above the elbow which is just turning color now a week after it got hit, and a bruise on my right arm just above the elbow.

I took two head shots on one college game, and the second one hurt. But I was ok, with no concussion. My last game before this post was a HS tournament game, and I took a shot in the top of the first. But only one.

I have had two days off now, I'm ready to go again...