Diamond or ProNine?

I'm not even considering anything but a Wilson CP at this point. So thanks for talking me out of it!

But now I have to get the shins to match. Call me weird, but I like matching gear.

Looks like my mask will be my lone Diamond piece of gear...lol.

There was a time when I hated that mismatched look.......I wore all +POS...gear, shoes, unis the whole enchilada.....

That was back when +POS was the approved supplier to MiLB...seemed to be a truly uniform look..

Edited by Stan W.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of brand loyalty: sure it looks cool. If its the gear that fits you the best, bonus. Otherwise, unless they're paying you to use it, there's no "need" to have matching gear. Even if they wanted to pay you, would you use an inferior product just to make some cash?

I'm not considering these shin guards just because they are Wilsons and will match. They look beefier and I think will offer more protection, and maybe even comfort. So IMO they are definitely not inferior to the Diamonds that I have been looking at, which appear to also be a quality pair of shins. I can't say that the Wilsons will fit me better than the Diamonds, but hey, I can always send them back, right?

But, with everybody talking about "looking professional" and "investing in your umpiring", how can you look more professional than having quality, matching gear? Looks pretty dang professional if you ask me...

Yes. After I made sure they fit correctly, it was the first thing I did. I know another umpire who left them on though and still hasn't removed them even after my suggestion to do so.

Well, he shouldn't feel TOO bad.

I know of a certain MLB umpire who wears (wore?) those shins and that plate was in place during at least one MLB game. :no:

ShinGuards.jpg?t=1263417225

Edited by BrianC14
Removed the "AAA call-up" - it was an MLB guy!

... how can you look more professional than having quality, matching gear? Looks pretty dang professional if you ask me...

Seeing that no one going to see my shin guards except for me and the emergency room staff, that's not a big concern.

Hey, if you're wearing a Riddle chest protector, a Nike titanium mask, WV shin guards and a Nutty Buddy, you're as pro as it gets. Sleep well.

Just don't be wearing white socks.

Brian,

I think that umpire and I share a tailor.

(To those wondering what I am talking about, I put a picture of myself working plate on the ABUA site one time, and Brian made fun of how high my pants came up my leg in my plate stance)

Yes, and the pants worn by that umpire in the pic above look pretty funny, too. :rollinglaugh:

I'd say this would be about right, when you're in a full crouch:

Pants.jpg?t=1263420256

Edited by BrianC14

I'm looking for a chest protector and shin guards.

I have both narrowed down to two brands, Diamond and ProNine.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Diamond gear. Does anybody have positive or negative experience with any of these products?

Diamond over Pro Nine on the chest protectors because it has more rigid padding and closer padding/plates and a similar price, but, in general, hard shell preferred for protection especially high school and up.

Either shin guard (any really) should do depending on the features you are looking for. But there has already been plenty of good advice on specific ones.

Brian,

I think that umpire and I share a tailor.

(To those wondering what I am talking about, I put a picture of myself working plate on the ABUA site one time, and Brian made fun of how high my pants came up my leg in my plate stance)

always take your plate shoes with you to the tailor..............it will help that problem immensely

always take your plate shoes with you to the tailor..............it will help that problem immensely

I went to the tailor with my plate shoes and my shin guards.

After fitting me, he did my polywools so that the inseam is 32.5 in the front, and 33.5 in the back. When I get into my stance, they are perfect!

Getting them sized while in your stance in your stance is the key.

Height is a big factor. Shorter fellows don't drop too much. I'm 6'1", and use a wide (not like Sen. Larry Craig) stance. Hence, my pants ride up (again, unlike Sen. Craig). Notice how baggy Tim McC's pants are compared to Joe West's, whose stance is no more than a simple turn.