JamesC

Yet Another CP Question

I just want to know, plain and simple, which chest protector is less bulky? The Wilson Gold or the Wilson Platinum?

The Platinum is more bulky around the shoulders, and the Gold is bit more bulky around the chest.

The original WV, and the Douglas are little less bulky than either of the above.

Me, I like the RoboCop look, and wear a Platinum. It fits, looks and works well for my body. YMMV.

I just want to know, plain and simple, which chest protector is less bulky? The Wilson Gold or the Wilson Platinum?

If at all possible, try both of them on to see what you think.

I have, and found the platinum more bulky - well, a little bit. Once you get accustomed to either one of them, it won't seem so bad.

I wear a Platinum, and I really like it. On the occasion I had to try on the Gold, seemed to be quite snug on me, especially under the arms where that added plate/pad is located. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different, and as I said, once you become accustomed to it, you won't even notice it.

I wish I were able to try on both. I purchased the Platinum from ump-attire at the end of last season and was going to return it, but everyone seemed to think that if I just gave it a try I would get used to it. Well, I know I haven't worn it in any games yet, but I have tried it on numerous times, and still each time I take it off, I just say that I completely hate the thing! I would really like to try the Gold and see if I like it any better.

The closest umpire clothing/equipment store to me is probably Honig's in Texas, and they do not carry the Wilson CPs. Maybe I can figure something else out.

I wish I were able to try on both. I purchased the Platinum from ump-attire at the end of last season and was going to return it, but everyone seemed to think that if I just gave it a try I would get used to it. Well, I know I haven't worn it in any games yet, but I have tried it on numerous times, and still each time I take it off, I just say that I completely hate the thing! I would really like to try the Gold and see if I like it any better.

The closest umpire clothing/equipment store to me is probably Honig's in Texas, and they do not carry the Wilson CPs. Maybe I can figure something else out.

You haven't used it in a game yet? Wearing it at home isn't the same at all.

Don't dump it. Wear it - in GAMES. Give it a fair chance - go at least 10 games with it. (and it won't even take that long, I'd bet).

I went from an old +POS rolled style to the Platinum, and I thought I'd never get used to it, either. I remember thinking it felt like a straight jacket! But I'm glad I stuck it out. You have to have worn it several time and let that foam get formed to your chest - and it will, but it takes time for that. The Gold is no different in that regard - it, too, takes time to shape itself to the wearer.

Edited by BrianC14

I bought a gold last season to replace an older K1. The first three or four games I hated it, but once I got it adjusted right and it molded to fit my body type (short and round) I loved it.

I cannot imagine wearing anything else. I went with the Gold because I did not like the bulky shoulders on the plat, but I know a lot of guys that love the plat.

It's the bulkiness of the shoulders that concerns me. I do not want to wear it a few games, and still not be satisfied with it, and then want to get rid of it and only be able to get $40-50 for it. I think it is worth much more than that. I am not saying that it is not a good chest protector, becaue I do believe that is an excellent one. However, I do not know if it is the right one for me. I just wish I could try the Gold as well, that way I would know for sure. That is the only thing I am contemplating. Whether or not I would like the Gold better. I understand that the padding is going to form to me and all, I am just concerned that $145 may be wasted if, after 5-10 games, I still dislike the chest protector the same as I do now. Does that make sense?

It's the bulkiness of the shoulders that concerns me. I do not want to wear it a few games, and still not be satisfied with it, and then want to get rid of it and only be able to get $40-50 for it. I think it is worth much more than that. I am not saying that it is not a good chest protector, becaue I do believe that is an excellent one. However, I do not know if it is the right one for me. I just wish I could try the Gold as well, that way I would know for sure. That is the only thing I am contemplating. Whether or not I would like the Gold better. I understand that the padding is going to form to me and all, I am just concerned that $145 may be wasted if, after 5-10 games, I still dislike the chest protector the same as I do now. Does that make sense?

Absolutely it makes sense... search out someone in your area or association that wears a Gold and ask if they can try it on.

Or - search around for area retailers that might carry it. In my neck of the woods, the big-box retailers (Dick's, etc.) don't carry a high ticket item like this - however, I did find a small Mom & Pop sporting goods store (one that caters to team sales especially) had both the Plat and the Gold, as well as NB plate shoes. I ended up buying most of my hard gear from them. Check around for some of the smaller stores in your area, you might get a nice surprise and you could then make a comparison. Heck, if they're locally run, you might even be able to talk them into a trade! You never know... the folks I bought from gave me a very good discount because I bought a CP, shins, mask and shoes from them. You'd never get that kind of thing in a big box store. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

If you want less bulkiness around the shoulders, and you wear the Gold, here is some advise. Velcro holds the shoulder pad to the shoulder cap. However, the pad does not contour the cap very well. Send your vest to Douglas or go to your local shoe repair and see if they can attach rivets so the pad fit snug in the plastic cap........by doing this the cap will fit your shoulders better. You can also have the shoe guy seam rip the stitch that holds the shoulder pad to the vest body and raise it up an inch or so. The cap will sit better on your shoulder.

Good Luck.

DSC01479.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

I wish it were that easy. I live in a smaller town in North Louisiana, and the association I call in has, for the most part, always been more so of a softball association until here recently. Actually, this past season was my first with them and we done really well, calling all 3 rounds of the playoffs. That's a whole different story in itself, so I'll get back on topic.

With it being a smaller town, and there is nothing really around unless it's over an hour away. I just wish there were something around here that might would carry the item, but I have been doing this long enough that I know for a fact there isn't, unfortunately. And as for the other people in my association, my assignor probably has the best chest protector (other than my Wilson maybe?) and he has an older Honig's CP. Not saying that mine is better, cause I honestly don't know.

We have a lot of older members in our association that believe and are set in their ways. So, unfortunately, their equipment is older, out of date, plain, and their wardrobe is very narrow (only 1 or maybe 2 shirts). They believe that since they have been there forever, they shouldn't have to call any games during the regular season, and should get all the big district games and playoff games, while I have only been with them for 1 season, and called all 3 of the playoff rounds. I worked my ass off though to get where I am, and am very proud of what I have accomplished.

I do not know how I got off on this subject, but I am now off my soap box! Just to reiterate, I could only wish I could find someone with the Gold CP to try out, along with other equipment that I have on my wish list! When I graduate school, I would love to start my own business down here with that type of stuff. Great thoughts, right?

If you want less bulkiness around the shoulders, and you wear the Gold, here is some advise. Velcro holds the shoulder pad to the shoulder cap. However, the pad does not contour the cap very well. Send your vest to Douglas or go to your local shoe repair and see if they can attach rivets so the pad fit snug in the plastic cap........by doing this the cap will fit your shoulders better. You can also have the shoe guy seam rip the stitch that holds the shoulder pad to the vest body and raise it up an inch or so. The cap will sit better on your shoulder.

Good Luck.

Chris, that's an original Gold. James is talking about buying the new 'Pro Gold', which has a number of design changes. But it is good advice for those that have the original. :no:

I wish it were that easy. I live in a smaller town in North Louisiana, and the association I call in has, for the most part, always been more so of a softball association until here recently. Actually, this past season was my first with them and we done really well, calling all 3 rounds of the playoffs. That's a whole different story in itself, so I'll get back on topic.

With it being a smaller town, and there is nothing really around unless it's over an hour away. I just wish there were something around here that might would carry the item, but I have been doing this long enough that I know for a fact there isn't, unfortunately. And as for the other people in my association, my assignor probably has the best chest protector (other than my Wilson maybe?) and he has an older Honig's CP. Not saying that mine is better, cause I honestly don't know.

We have a lot of older members in our association that believe and are set in their ways. So, unfortunately, their equipment is older, out of date, plain, and their wardrobe is very narrow (only 1 or maybe 2 shirts). They believe that since they have been there forever, they shouldn't have to call any games during the regular season, and should get all the big district games and playoff games, while I have only been with them for 1 season, and called all 3 of the playoff rounds. I worked my ass off though to get where I am, and am very proud of what I have accomplished.

I do not know how I got off on this subject, but I am now off my soap box! Just to reiterate, I could only wish I could find someone with the Gold CP to try out, along with other equipment that I have on my wish list! When I graduate school, I would love to start my own business down here with that type of stuff. Great thoughts, right?

James: As I see it, you are the only owner of the Platinum; if you try to sell it, a buyer is still going to consider it "used", regardless of how few times you might have used it.

I will tell you that when I tried the Gold (the new one) I didn't like the feel of the rib pads on the sides - they seemed to feel as though they were right up into my arm pits, which felt uncomfortable. The Platinum doesn't have those, and so my arms can rest comfortably at my sides. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Trying the two on would be the best thing you could do. Myself and others have had problems with the Platinum sliding down (even though I adjusted mine all the way in). Switching to the Gold solved this for me and others. The nice thing about the Gold is that it is sized by coat size so I think it fits smaller frames better.

However, I also know some people who, like Brian, swear by the Platinum and prefer it over the Gold. Some people also find that the Gold does not extend far enough down and leaves the bottom of their ribs exposed.

Although it may not be easy for you to do, trying both on and seeing which fits your body better would be ideal. Could you maybe order the Gold from ump-attire also and return it if you don't like the fit.

Both protectors take time to mold to your body though and fit better after they've been worn for a few games. As far as the bulkiness of the Platinum's shoulders, mine tended to fit better and appear less bulky after being worn in a few games. I ended up switching to the Gold because the Platinum wouldn't stay in place and was sliding down leaving my collarbone area exposed.