Give the benefit of the doubt to your partner

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5659 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guilty as Charged

The games I had this weekend I was not exactly looking forward to because who my partner was. We've worked a dozen or so games over the past few years and there have always been a problem. Some examples:

• Making a ruling error which if protested would have been upheld and we'd have to go back for free
  • Ailments - Historically this person always has had an ailment which he complains about
  • Excessive bad calls- we all kick one now and then, were only human. This person has exceeded the average in kicked calls and I have questioned to myself if they weren't on purpose to shorten the game.
  • Hustle - doesn't happen. We signal for rotation in rotation situations and I still know I've got third because he won't be there.

While he did still have ailments. Otherwise it was a really good game and he made 2 great calls of close plays got a balk I was too slow on and had an obstruction.

MY point being I had given up on my partner the second I saw his name with me on The Arbiter. Fortunately I was wrong and we had some great games.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

There is a guy in this area that fits the same description. You see his name and kind of cringe. He is a great guy, just too 'relaxed' on the field.

I too, know this exact guy....when you get a game with him, you just immediately start wondering what is going to go wrong...

He is one of those guys who always tells you how good an umpire he is...yet refuses to learn/retain simple mechanics....(ie rotations)....

He too, is just too relaxed and when presented with what we need to do a better job, he always counters with "you guys are too serious".........the game is for the kids"...

The kids (some are as old as 20) deserve better........and so do we as partners...