Umpire Evaluation Form

chuck

Here's the form our association uses. Of course I showed a good one :smachhead: We use a points scale from 4 (outstanding) to 0 (never gotten one of those so I don't know what that equates to). You can get in half point increments.

IMO - the most important factor in an eval system is to have good evaluators who communicate well not only to the person they are evaluating, but also among themselves to establish more uniform guidelines for what the acceptable. Nothing is more frustrating to an umpire - especially younger ones - than having evaluator 1 say X and evaluator 2 say Y.

Evaluations are very subjective and everybody needs to realize it. Some people are more critical than others. Some people focus on certain items.

Another important thing to do is be open in your evaluation system make sure everybody understands the system, how it works, what the criteria are make it a discussion topic in meetings.

eval6-11.pdf

Here's the form our association uses. Of course I showed a good one :banghead: We use a points scale from 4 (outstanding) to 0 (never gotten one of those so I don't know what that equates to). You can get in half point increments.

IMO - the most important factor in an eval system is to have good evaluators who communicate well not only to the person they are evaluating, but also among themselves to establish more uniform guidelines for what the acceptable. Nothing is more frustrating to an umpire - especially younger ones - than having evaluator 1 say X and evaluator 2 say Y.

Evaluations are very subjective and everybody needs to realize it. Some people are more critical than others. Some people focus on certain items.

Another important thing to do is be open in your evaluation system make sure everybody understands the system, how it works, what the criteria are make it a discussion topic in meetings.

No number values assigned? How do you rate yourself with other umpires? (Don't you dare say 'By height'). :smachhead:

We don't officially evaluate ourselves this is the form the evaluator completes and submits to the commissioner, head evaluator and eventually the baseball committee when it comes time for promotions.

When the evaluator creates the evaluation in the system he enters numerical values which come out to outstanding, between outstanding and above average, etc. This is the only form that gives verbal values. Our other reports give us the numbers.

Our association does not rank us among our peers. So there is no top person for each level. I wish they would so I can see where I stand with my peers and know how I stack up against guys in my level.

Our association has 7 levels:

6 - Does youth ball games

5 - Does higher level Youth rec ball and gets a few JV games

4 - Primarily JV games, a few varsity, adult league, and youth

3 - Varsity, good number of JV, Adult, Wooden Bat, and youth, Can be a last resort for college

2A - Varsity, college non-conference games other than D-I, and the rest

2 - Varsity, D-I non-conference, DII & DIII conference, and the rest

1 - D-I conference games and the rest.

One thing I like about my association is that I've worked a 2-man Pinto game with a level 2, and a Mustang game with a level 1. Most of our higher level guys also do rec.

Chuck,

Attached is what is used in my association, which is modeled after the NCAA umpire evaluation.

There are PDFs of the blank form and a brief set of instructions, and an example from an evaluation I had done in July of 2008 (zipped).

The game was a Summer HS Varsity Regional playoff, the evaluator was a certified state clinician (who is a member of our association), and, to my knowledge, was the only game I have ever called where I misapplied a rule in making a call.

In our association, these evaluations are optional - if you want one, you request it and pay a nominal fee. The results are strictly between the evaluator & evaluee.

JM

ump_eval.pdf

ump_eval_instructions.pdf

Evaluations - Fox Valley Blues Umpires Association.zip

• 11 years later...

Bob, you are probably looking for something that is free but if you are willing to invest $20 I recommend you buy the 2021 (or get an earlier edition) Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual. The last section of the book covers how minor league umpires are evaluated. The following are the evaluation categories--

ATTITUDE & EFFORT

·        Professionalism on and off the field

·        Focus

·        Hustle

·        Fraternization

·        Coachability

·        Relationship with others

·        Administrative duties

FIELD PRESENCE

·        Confident/In-charge demeanor

·        Appearance in uniform

·        Mobility

TECHNICAL SKILLS

·        Judgment

·        Communication with partner(s)

·        Reaction/positioning for plays

·        Knowledge of system

·        Use of voice

·        Style and form of calls

RULES KNOWLEDGE

·        On-field rules application

·        Written tests

SITUATION MANAGEMENT

·        Communication skills

·        Composure

·        Take-charge approach

It then describes what each of these bullet point items is and how to evaluate an umpire’s performance using them.

• Like 1