any Lou Pinella's out there

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a coach blow up on me because I appealed to the base umpire twice. Both went against his team. The first was in the 3rd inning where his player tried to check and on appeal the base ump said he went. The second came in the 6th where the opposing teams batter checked and the base ump called it a no swing. He ran from 3rd and exploded. Saying that he deserved the same call, and that there was no point in appealing, it was clearly a swing. There was no swearing so I let him go on. There were about 50 spectators in the stands and he just kept going and going. After he cooled off, he went back to 3rd and didn't say a word the rest of the game. His team won by 2. Afterwards, my base ump came up to me and said, I don't know how you let him talk to you like that. I would've given him the boot right away. Guess we all have different tolorence levels.

I had a coach blow up on me because I appealed to the base umpire twice. Both went against his team. The first was in the 3rd inning where his player tried to check and on appeal the base ump said he went. The second came in the 6th where the opposing teams batter checked and the base ump called it a no swing. He ran from 3rd and exploded. Saying that he deserved the same call, and that there was no point in appealing, it was clearly a swing. There was no swearing so I let him go on. There were about 50 spectators in the stands and he just kept going and going. After he cooled off, he went back to 3rd and didn't say a word the rest of the game. His team won by 2. Afterwards, my base ump came up to me and said, I don't know how you let him talk to you like that. I would've given him the boot right away. Guess we all have different tolorence levels.

Leaving his position to argue balls and strikes.... That's an automatic ejection. Doesn't matter if he swears or not...He's gotta go!!!

I was doing an exibition SrLL game several years ago and I had a couple of problems, catcher Waaaay to far back, pitcher throwing lollypop curves and a coach without a clue. Long story short I let the snipe too much and the catcher yak too much. I had a conversation between innings explaining that catcher was so far back that what looks right when he catches it is high comng across. Finally the catcher catches one halfway out in the opposite batter's box which I balled. He saidd I had to figure out what I was calling. I told I knew and that he had to figure it out. Then the coach got into it and asked the catcher where it was. The catcher gives him a shrug, which really steamed me but I didn't say anything.

After the inning I called the manager over on his way to coach third. I told him I was done with his bitching, his catcher's and any other player bitching. Well he replies loudly that he was tired of me calling two different strike zones. Bang, he's gone. I went to get water which was unfortunately beside his spectators. They complained that they thought I was quick on the trigger. Now they were fairly under control, just frustrated, so I told them that there is no way I can allow a coach to acuse me of cheating. The look was priceless, and they said he didn't. I explained that telling me that I was calling two zones is certainly saying I was cheating. They allowed as they never thought of it that way. Now normally I don't engage the crowd but I was close, they were calm and surprisingly they understood.

The most surprising was after the game the manager's brother came to my truck and asked to talk to me. He said he thought it was a good toss and that his brother was a jerk sometimes. Then the next day I ran into the 15 yr old SS at another game and he said the same thing.