Player/Assistant Coach

blueman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4641 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

College Wood Bat League. OBR/NCAA rules. Head coach and assistant coaches are ejected. They do have a player who is officially listed as a player/assistant coach. This player is in the line up when the HC and AC are ejected. By rule, can the player/assistant coach remain in the line up or does he have to be removed from the line up to become the head coach for the remainder of the game? Rule cite if possible.

I do remember Peter Rose being a Manager/Player with the Reds back in the day. Just not sure if he was still technically the Manager when he was in the line up or if he was just a player. Of course, at that level not sure if was even an issue.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB Rule 2.0 Definitions

THE MANAGER is a person appointed by the club to be responsible for the team’s actions on the field, and to represent the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team. A player may be appointed manager.

(a) The club shall designate the manager to the league president or the umpire-in-chief not less than thirty minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game.

(B) The manager may advise the umpire-in-chief that he has delegated specific duties prescribed by the rules to a player or coach, and any action of such designated representative shall be official. The manager shall always be responsible for his team’s conduct, observance of the official rules, and deference to the umpires.

© If a manager leaves the field, he shall designate a player or coach as his substitute, and such substitute manager shall have the duties, rights and responsibilities of the manager. If the manager fails or refuses to designate his substitute before leaving, the umpire-in-chief shall designate a team member as substitute manager.

Thanks guys, but I probably made a mistake in listing OBR as a rule set. It should be just NCAA. I have found in the NCAA rule book that an assistant coach cannot be a player. However, I think this is aimed for games during the school year where assistant coaches are adults and not students.

This summer wood bat league usually has at least 1 adult (non college player) at the game serving as the HC. I assume that a lack of adult assistant coaches has allowed them to have player/assistant coaches on the official roster. But the question still remains is if the player/AC is now the head coach can he remain in the line up?

Under OBR...absolutely he can stay in the game......

and Cap Anson, Connie Mack, John McGraw, Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Frank Robinson, Joe Torre and Pete Rose.......all were player/managers

Stan,

Sorry, some of us aren't old enough to remember when Ty Cobb was playing/managing...

Thanks guys, but I probably made a mistake in listing OBR as a rule set. It should be just NCAA. I have found in the NCAA rule book that an assistant coach cannot be a player. However, I think this is aimed for games during the school year where assistant coaches are adults and not students.

This summer wood bat league usually has at least 1 adult (non college player) at the game serving as the HC. I assume that a lack of adult assistant coaches has allowed them to have player/assistant coaches on the official roster. But the question still remains is if the player/AC is now the head coach can he remain in the line up?

Yes he can and especially during summer I don't get too wound up over some of the nonplaying rules.

Did anyone actuall look up the NCAA rules?

NCAA 2011-12 Rules:

Rule 3

Head Coach

SECTION 1. A head coach is a person employed or appointed by an institution to be responsible for the team’s actions on the field (usually the head coach also is responsible for the team’s actions off the field) and to represent the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team. A player may be designated as head coach in the event the head coach is absent.

Under OBR...absolutely he can stay in the game......

and Cap Anson, Connie Mack, John McGraw, Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Frank Robinson, Joe Torre and Pete Rose.......all were player/managers

Stan,

Sorry, some of us aren't old enough to remember when Ty Cobb was playing/managing...

Oh yes.....but you see there are these things called books...........and if you read them, you can find out lots of neat things......:lookup

although he wasnt a manager per se..........he was more player/coach late in his career.....but the Boston Braves had a guy named Babe Ruth who was an excellent pitcher early in his career but really is known for the fact he could hit a bit......... :lol:

Oh comeon Rich that would be too easy and logical. Its far easier to just ask the question here and then all speculate on the answer.

(Sorry Im just feeling a little crotchety today but I do think that my main point that posters should spend a little time on research before posting either a question or an answer is valid)

snapback.pngRich Ives, on 12 July 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

Oh comeon Rich that would be too easy and logical. Its far easier to just ask the question here and then all speculate on the answer.

(Sorry Im just feeling a little crotchety today but I do think that my main point that posters should spend a little time on research before posting either a question or an answer is valid)

snapback.pngRich Ives, on 12 July 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

Only part of what you quoted was what I posted. If you're going to chastise - get your facts straight - and set the font large enough to be readable.

I missed a "y". Gee! I'll get an "F" in English Comp 101. BFD.

Arrogant enough?

(Sorry Im just feeling a little crotchety today but I do think that my main point that posters should spend a little time on research before posting either a question or an answer is valid) It would help if you knew how to write a correct sentence and use spell check. I am not sure who or what you are, but I think you are an idiot. It is apparent that your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance. You can be assured that I will never post another question on this forum.

Thank you for your feedback but I already know I dont write as good as some. As I have said I didnt speak much english when I was young. I will work on not going so fast since thats when I get in the most trouble. I do stand by my general comment that more research would benefit most of the posters. As with all such statements though if it doesnt apply to you then dont take the advise. I especially appreciate the compliment on my ignorance because I often say nothing aout me exceeds that.