Boston final play

mstaylor
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4287 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Out = no headaches. Safe = SH*#storm and at least 2 ejections. If anyone here can say they would have had a different call live and at full speed I call BS.

+1

Out = no headaches. Safe = SH*#storm and at least 2 ejections. If anyone here can say they would have had a different call live and at full speed I call BS.

+2

You can tear it apart in video but making the call live is what counts.

If I saw it differently live at full speed (Saw it safe), I would call it as such if I knew I was getting it right. Since when do we worry about ejections and not having any headaches?

Lets face it: If he calls this runner safe, we are all talking about what a great and ballsy call it was.

If I saw it differently live at full speed (Saw it safe), I would call it as such if I knew I was getting it right. Since when do we worry about ejections and not having any headaches?

Lets face it: If he calls this runner safe, we are all talking about what a great and ballsy call it was.

Only in the MLB where you have internationally televised games in HD with 6 different slo-motion cameras.

If this was any of our games, the runner would be out on principle: ball beats him to the plate, secure tag by the catcher, and the plate was clearly blocked.

Farrell and Encarnacion didn't say anything about the call until they looked at video replay after.

I agree that if you have safe at full speed, call it that way. My point is I don't think you can see safe in this play. The PU was right on top of it and called what he saw. I don't call by ball beats runner equals out. If I can see safe then safe it is. That's what got me a coach ejection this year.

• 1 year later...

I had safe full speed.

Are you referring to the now incorrect link given by mstaylor or the correct one given by ump_24? The one I was sent to by mstaylor is a walk off. The play isn't even close... Ump_24 has the correct link, and I actually had safe in real time unlike the majority here.

The point of the play to both the runner and the catcher is to worry about the lead (left leg). IMHO the left leg never gets in as the catcher completely blocks off the plate and the runner is looking at that left leg that is never getting there and the tag on that left leg. The catcher completely knock him off the plate. Usually, when knocked off the plate the runner is bounced away from the plate with both feet and does not end up like this play with his right leg somehow coming around the back like it did. The whole point of this play with the straight in slide is that lead leg and the catcher's leg completely in front of the plate to knock that leg off the plate or keep that lead leg from getting the plate, which was accomplished and therefore the out. That right leg somehow miracuously getting around, unintentionally I might add, the way it did, was just a by product of the original slide which nobody is watching for except the camera's.

Going by the reactions of the runner, he has no clue as to what just transpired with that right leg, until he sees a replay of what just happened. He only knows he was kept from the plate by the catcher's leg blocking the plate and was tagged on that lead left leg while being knocked off the plate and therefor he is out, no questions asked.

I had safe full speed.

Fuyll speed? It took two weeks for your post to show up here -- that seems like super slo mo to me. lol.

Check out the year too. That'd be 1 year and 2 weeks.

Good point. ;o;. Threads should automagically close after a certain period of time or a certain number of posts.