Honest Question

persong
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4677 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

How many guys are here doing this just for love of Umpiring? I do this because I honestly love doing it and want to be a really good umpire. I make mistakes, but want to honestly get better every single time. Been doing this for a while now, so it is not like I am a rookie. I am certified for HS ball too, but only have done JV since I have only been certified for 2 years. What steps did you veterans do to get better? Before you say it, I can't afford to take time off or pay for a school. Would love to, but I just can't. Every year look at my performance and choose something to improve on each season. Last year it was positioning to make the best call, whether it was balls and strikes or plays at first, Home plate. This year it has been Timing. I try to call pitches after a small delay to make sure that I am getting it right. Also Out calls I am delaying to make sure we have all the requisite things before I can have an out. Nothing worse than calling an out on a Banger then seeing the ball drop from the players glove and changing a call. I have not done that this year by the way. Safe I can usually make quicker because you know when they are safe. Looking for something else I can work on. I know the rules pretty well, would say the things that happen i know. The "weird" things I would have to think, but mostly I am ready for them too.

I work always in a 1 man system so any tips you guys have would be great. I do go to a local clinic every year also. Thanks guys. I am on here every day looking at things trying to learn.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year look at my performance and choose something to improve on each season.

I do this after each game. Even in the 90-minute 15U game on the bases where I got all my calls correctly the other day, I still reflected on it and looked for things I didn't do as well as I wished. What I do is keep a journal of each game I umpire. I try to write in the journal 24-48 hours after the game. At this point, I can remember almost everything about the game and can also give myself a fair critique without the emotions from the game bleeding over into my comments.

I start by giving the information about the game. After that, I rate myself on different categories, using an evaluation I found online. Then, I write as much as I can about the game, being as precise as I can. By writing it down, it helps me to remember the good and bad points about the game and my performance.

In short, evaluate yourself after every game, every season, and every year.

Every year look at my performance and choose something to improve on each season.

I do this after each game. Even in the 90-minute 15U game on the bases where I got all my calls correctly the other day, I still reflected on it and looked for things I didn't do as well as I wished. What I do is keep a journal of each game I umpire. I try to write in the journal 24-48 hours after the game. At this point, I can remember almost everything about the game and can also give myself a fair critique without the emotions from the game bleeding over into my comments.

I start by giving the information about the game. After that, I rate myself on different categories, using an evaluation I found online. Then, I write as much as I can about the game, being as precise as I can. By writing it down, it helps me to remember the good and bad points about the game and my performance.

In short, evaluate yourself after every game, every season, and every year.

I keep a journal after every game as well, but I'd love to see your evaluation form.

I keep a journal after every game as well, but I'd love to see your evaluation form.

Instead of emailing the document to everyone, I'll post it here:

1 – Outstanding; 2 – Excellent; 3 – Good; 4 – Fair; 5 - Poor

GENERAL [GEN]

1. Uniform and Equipment

2. Presence

3. Difficult Situations

4. Rule Knowledge

5. Game Management

6. Crew Mechanics

7. On-Field Professionalism

8. Pre-Game with Partner

9. Receptiveness

GENERAL MECHANICS [MECH]

1. Hustle

2. Signals

3. Verbal

4. Alertness/Awareness

5. Judgment

6. Works to Get Best Angle (Primary Position)

7. Adjusts as Play Changes (Secondary Position)

8. Efficient Movement

PLATE WORK [PW]

1. Stance/Set

2. Slot

3. Timing

4. Rhythm

5. Accurate Strike Zone

6. Consistent Strike Zone

7. Movement Away from the Plate

BASE WORK [bW]

1. Distance

2. Set to Render Decision

3. Timing

GENERAL

Uniform and Equipment: Proper, clean and pressed uniform.

Presence: Projects an aura or confidence, not arrogance.

Difficult Situations: Handles situations with poise and diplomacy.

Rule Knowledge: Applies rules correctly and decisively.

Game Management: Establishes and maintains a tone for the game.

Crew Mechanics: Knows and adjusts for mechanics for the game.

On-Field Professionalism: Courteous to all personnel for the game.

Pre-Game with Partner: Conducts thorough pre-game with partner.

Receptiveness: Shows willingness to learn and improve

GENERAL MECHANICS

Hustle: Brisk movement at all times – during and between plays.

Signals: Consistent use of correct signals throughout the game.

Verbal: Consistent use of appropriate emphasis of voice.

Alertness/Awareness: Sustains concentration and focus through the game.

Judgment: Is correct on all calls because of reaction to play.

Primary Position: Chooses a position as the play becomes imminent.

Secondary Position: Adjusts for next responsibility or positioning.

Efficient Movement: Movement is correct and resourceful; always set.

PLATE WORK

Stance/Set: Solid stance close to catcher; Drops to set correctly.

Slot: Correct positioning for the slot area. Follows ball with eyes.

Timing: Takes time to assess each pitch before making a decision.

Rhythm: Consistent timing that reflects control of the game.

Accurate Strike Zone: Calls zone as defined in the rule book.

Consistent Strike Zone: Zone is the same throughout the game.

Movement Away from Plate: Moves to appropriate position for plays.

BASE WORK

Distance: Starting position is at desired calling depth.

Set to Render Decision: Set to see the play and make the call.

Timing: Takes time to assess the play before making a decision.

When I add it to my journal, I do this:

GEN: 1-1, 2-2, 3-2, 4-1, 5-2, 6-3, 7-2, 8-3, 9-3

MECH: [same as above]

PW: [same as above]

BW: [same as above]

For anything rated 4 or 5, I underline and make sure I mention why in my notes.

If anyone wants a Word Doc, let me know. It fits on one page, with the list on one half and the criteria on the other half. I keep a copy of it inside my journal.

Get someone from your local group who you trust to come out and watch you work and give you honest feedback then buy him or her luch or an adult beveridge to thank them and listen and take what they have to say serious.

Or, if you are really serious - Have your wife or someone film you at a game and post it on YouTube with a private link and post it here. A point and shoot in movie mode with a big SD card should be sufficient.

I think you will get a lot of feedback and you will need thick skin, but most everyone on this board will be doing it to help you get better.

sdix00 beat me to it. Taping your umpiring is a great tool. It does not lie.

It will show if you are tracking pitches with your eyes or moving your head.

On a couple of plays I had, I would have sworn I was in a standing set position

only to see that I was still drifting.

Wanting to get better is half the battle. Many guys get to a point and decide they know all about it and quit learning. Coming here is a great start, during the season ask questions here and we can help. Taping your game is also good. If you can post it we can help but it can also being instructive by simply seeing what you are doing, good and bad. If you do tape your plate work, try getting it both from behind you and from the side. Bases can be a fixed location. Clinics are an excellent method for improving, what area are you in, maybe we can help you find one.

Persong - who are you working for? Your story sounds about the same as mine (I'm in Minneapolis) - a lot of one man and not a lot of feedback. Think about getting involved in RBI baseball - they work 2 man for the 18U games and have some good umps (on the Minneapolis side anyway) that will give you good feedback - but the games seem to be a bit more laid back than legion (although many of the players are the same). Otherwise, think about getting involved with a better Assn - one that will evaluate you and give you a mentor.

persong' timestamp='1308920845' post='58866']

I work always in a 1 man system so any tips you guys have would be great. I do go to a local clinic every year also. Thanks guys. I am on here every day looking at things trying to learn.

IMO, the problem "child" I work always in a 1 man system

There are clinics for 2 person, 3 person and 4 person, HOWEVER in order to fully grasp those mechanics you have to work many a game utilizing 2/3 and 4 individuals.

here is what i am referring to.

In my area, we work mainly 2 person. Then come sectional time we work 3 person and in the semi finals / finals of some tournaments 3 person.

Translation: 95% of the time we work 2 person. When we do go to three it's difficult not because of the concepts but because we are simply not used to it.

Simple example: R1 and 1 out.

U3 is in the "B" slot and U1 stays put (in A)

On pickoffs and DP's I have to really concentrate because it's natural to take a look at R1 on a pick-off (in 3 person that's U1's call) or on a DP get in position to make the call at 1st base (again in 3 person that's U1's call)

Unless you do something time and time again it becomes difficult to perform.

Therefore, if as you say you always work SOLO it becomes difficult to work 2 man and so on and so forth. You said JV level so it's not uncommon to be working SOLO due to many factors such as budget constraints that the schools might have or there simply isn't enough officials to cover the games. For the most part I think all HS associations cover Varsity with at least 2 individuals and then JV / Modified get what's left.

If possible I would try and get affiliated with an association that does travel ball and at the very least utilizes 2 officials, otherwise no matter how many clinics you attend it becomes difficult. It's like the old saying "practice makes perfect" If that means you have to travel more then so be it as long as it fits into your schedule.

Pete Booth

I work in Wisconsin mainly. Prescott, Hudson, Ellsworth, New Richmond. Mostly MYAS stuff..

Then the obvious choice would be the MYAS Gopher State Clinic. Unfortunately, those are held in May, so you'll have to wait until next year; Bugsy also has his local clinics in the April-May timeframe. Northwest also has a HS clinic in March, but you may have to be a member or a candidate to go, depending on the turnout. If you do any MSHSL ball, there are mechanics clinics held in late March.

If you're looking to go sooner, I'd suggest the Mid-American clinic in Missouri--yes, there's travel involved, but I think you'll get a lot out of it.