Book will make it harder for umpires in bargaining (Newsday)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5338 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umps baiting "As They See 'Em," a recently released book by Bruce Weber , is a superb account of what it's like to be an umpire. You should read it. Unfortunately for the major-league umpires, however, folks in the commissioner's office have read it. And they are not pleased. According to multiple people in the loop, the already-frosty relationship between the umpires and Major League Baseball ...

More...

News feed provided by ma_nws_1.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that in the book, the umpires come across as hardworking and whiny. Whether the whining is justified is a matter of opinion. The book says that umpires are accepted as a necessary evil...you can't live with 'em and you can't live without them. Until that attitude changes (and why should it?) the other things will not change.

Unfortunately, labor doesn't have a lot of bargaining power. Striking won't work, ecause it will be not to difficult to come up with 68 scabs. I don't know what else they could use as a bargaining chip.

I don't think the book will have an impact either way, unless it falls on the sympathetic ears of someone in management...not likely.

And not including at least their names in the WS brochure... well that's just pretty pathetic on the part of MLB. It's a thumb in their eye, but if the stories in the book are correct (and I've no reason to believe they're not) it's no surprise considering the source.

I think a big part of the problem with MLB at the very top is it's incestuous relations between owners/and the Commissioner himself. Bud Selig should never have been made Commissioner, and MLB has been hurt ever since he's been in that position. :tantrum:

"Where have you gone, Bart Giamatti... ? Baseball needs you!" :D