Getting to hot behind the plate!!!

Cajuncubsfan

Yesterday I had a double header in Dixie Majors (HS summer ball) I chose to take the plate for the first game because I just knew that one school was much better than the other. Well that didn't work out to well. We had a 45 min second inning. Most of the time this isn't a big deal but it was 101 in the shad yesterday and you know how much shad we have on the ball field right. So in working in about 105 or hotter. I'm a heavy guy and I normally don't have to bad of a problem with the heat. Ok to my point, I have a Champro Pro-plus (#cp134) chest protector with arm extensions. I do love it but it's very hot. It needs to be my winter gear. I need to get a summer chest protector. I was looking at the Davichest. I know a guy that has one and it is thin and light. Is there anything y'all would recomend?

I came very close to passing out and it scared me. I even tossed my cap to the side to try to cool off. It affected me the rest of the night. I missed calls on the bases that I knew I got wrong. They were close calls and I didn't get to much heat.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I had a double header in Dixie Majors (HS summer ball) I chose to take the plate for the first game because I just knew that one school was much better than the other. Well that didn't work out to well. We had a 45 min second inning. Most of the time this isn't a big deal but it was 101 in the shad yesterday and you know how much shad we have on the ball field right. So in working in about 105 or hotter. I'm a heavy guy and I normally don't have to bad of a problem with the heat. Ok to my point, I have a Champro Pro-plus (#cp134) chest protector with arm extensions. I do love it but it's very hot. It needs to be my winter gear. I need to get a summer chest protector. I was looking at the Davichest. I know a guy that has one and it is thin and light. Is there anything y'all would recomend?

I came very close to passing out and it scared me. I even tossed my cap to the side to try to cool off. It affected me the rest of the night. I missed calls on the bases that I knew I got wrong. They were close calls and I didn't get to much heat.

Check out the Officially Cool . It is a cool pack that you put under your chest protector. The gel inside the pads have high freezing points which allows easy charging. The Endurance has an 80 degree freezing temp and the Performance has a 55 degree freezing temp. I had the opportunity to use a one similar to the Performance a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't an Officially Cool, but a 55 degree pad. It was a 6:30 game in South Texas. Normally would be drenched in sweat. After 1:15, I hadn't broken a sweat yet and was very cool. Pulled the pad out and it still had a charge left. Put it in a small ice chest and it was recharged in 30 minutes for game 2 for my partner.

I am in no way affiliated with this company. Just a satisfied client with a set on order.

Do not purchase the davis shield for HS level baseball......light and thin it is, but protective for that level.......not even close....The champro pro plus is I believe similar in style to the Honigs K1 which is my light duty protector.....its the lowest, lightest and coolest protector I can reccommend.....

Heat management seems to be more the issue......trust me Ive been there......(having umpired in Houston and rural Georgia years ago).....

When it's 100 degrees and you're up and down and running around in plate gear, you're probably going to be hot no matter what chest protector you have on. A couple of weekend ago we had a base umpire go down in 94 degree weather.

I've never tried the ice pack things, but was talking to an umpire earlier this year who did. His experience was totally different. He told me that after the first inning they were essentially melted and had little effect- kind of like having a couple of bags of warm water under your shirt. I guess that your mileage may vary...

It is inevitable when working summer ball weather on the plate or bases the heat will find you. My opinion changing cps will have minimum effect. I remember reading a thread last year on here about game prep dealing with the heat. You can not rely on a light / breathable chest protector to get you by on 100+ day, the preperation, for me at least, starts the night if not the day before. Knowing ill be working a weekend DH in hot conditions ill start hydrating the day/night before. More importantly stay away from the six pack of your choice. Take as many measures to help yourself and your body as you can. Reduce sweat by being clean shaved. Have more the one pair of socks, under shirts ( moisture wicking ), and uniforms on hand to completely change between games. Most importantly is trying to stay hydrated. As long as you are sweating your body is working the way it should, when you stop sweating is when the body starts shutting down. Some may say it is smitty, but if you are working games and unsure if there will be water provided, then by all means carry your own. I always befriend the kid / coach who brings out more baseballs so every inning or half inning im sure to get some water. And as a reminder in the heat, look out for the catchers as well. Maybe a little away from the op but imo taking steps to prevent/manage the heat will leave you better off then changing cps.

I'm going to start freezing my water and gateraid. I'm also going to try to take the second game in double headers. The changing cloths idea is good to. I find that the wet hat can help if you take it off beteen innings and wave it around on the sideline to cool it off.

The fact of the matter is it's hot hot hot and I will just have to deal with it the best I can. Thanks for the input guys.

It is inevitable when working summer ball weather on the plate or bases the heat will find you. My opinion changing cps will have minimum effect. I remember reading a thread last year on here about game prep dealing with the heat. You can not rely on a light / breathable chest protector to get you by on 100+ day, the preperation, for me at least, starts the night if not the day before. Knowing ill be working a weekend DH in hot conditions ill start hydrating the day/night before. More importantly stay away from the six pack of your choice. Take as many measures to help yourself and your body as you can. Reduce sweat by being clean shaved. Have more the one pair of socks, under shirts ( moisture wicking ), and uniforms on hand to completely change between games. Most importantly is trying to stay hydrated. As long as you are sweating your body is working the way it should, when you stop sweating is when the body starts shutting down. Some may say it is smitty, but if you are working games and unsure if there will be water provided, then by all means carry your own. I always befriend the kid / coach who brings out more baseballs so every inning or half inning im sure to get some water. And as a reminder in the heat, look out for the catchers as well. Maybe a little away from the op but imo taking steps to prevent/manage the heat will leave you better off then changing cps.

Great post.

Keep the hardshell, don't sacrifice safety for a lighter/cooler protector.

I work with primarily the same partner (70-80 games) all summer. It does get very hot and extremely humid here in Tennessee.

We always carry 2 coolers to the site with us. 1 large one to store drinks and 1 small one to take to the field, with enough drinks to get us through the game. We also add wash cloths in the field cooler just to towel faces and necks with, works well for us. I've heard that you could spirits of ammonia or something to a cooler with the wash cloths to aid in cooling, but I'm not exactly sure what was added to the water.

We wear primarily light colored shirts, white, gray, pro blue, beige. Some people say the color doesn't matter, seems to help us though.

If you have more than 1 game, take something to eat between games. Peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, bananas, trail mix, something. We had 3 Friday and 4 yesterday and were fortunate to be able to change between games in a college dressing room, so we got out of the heat/humidity. Drink water/gatorade constantly.

All I could think of, be safe, hydrate!

Living in Southern Mississippi and umpiring here and in NewOrleans area, it is very hot and humid....

I will tell you about a Florida water, if you dont use this your missing out.. you can buy it at Walgreens, and you mix it in a small cooler with ice and water and florida water.. you can't drink it.. you mix it and put a towel in the cooler, it works wonders, it will instantly cool you..you will see Umpires are the CWS using it.. I had used it one weekend and it was 97* and the Humidity made it over a 110* we put it in the cooler around 830 and at 515 pm, the smae ice we used was still very Ice cold... this stuff is great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Water

Hey Guys,

I was reading your responses on how to be cooler in the hotter weather. I live in Sacramento and we get some hot, dry heat, summers. Plus I have worked at CDP during some hot and humid days. Some things that i have found that work for me are:

Don't wear tight fitting "under armour' shirts under your shirts. I know they say they absorbing the moisture from your skin. They are really keeping the heat in. Instead wear looser fitting shirts like cotton, something that breaths well.

Don't have a tight fitting chest protector. I have a Gold and used to love it super tight on my body. Yesterday while working 5 games in 90 degree heat I tried loosening it up and it helped out great now my body can breath and I feel more comfortable back there.

Ice your wrists. An old football coach told me that when your hot and you need to cool down to ice or apply something cold to your wrist and it will help cool your blood quicker and in return help cool you down. I know a lot of you said you take ice chest with you, put a little ice pack in that you could do this with. After you try it once im sure you will keep doing it as the temperature rises

The key thing to working games in the heat is HYDRATION.

You must start the day before.

Water, Water, Water!!!!!!!

Drink between every inning.

If you don't have to piss at the end of the game, your not drinking enough.

Watch out on freezing your water or Gatorade.

I believe you will use up more energy in your body absorbing it and can also cause problems such as cramping.

As far as wetting your hat etc.

Yes.

I have even used one of those spray bottles with a fan on it that I got from Disneyland.

A quick spray of the face and head between innings is great.

Change undershirts between games.

If you ever feel dizzy or like your about to faint, you are about to become a heat case and are way to far behind the power curve of hydration.

Also when you finish days like that keep pounding the water down.

While the beer may taste good it will just dehydrate you more.

In these summer months .... would it be okay to use an outside chest protector? or is it not allowed anymore?

It depends on the level and your experience either way you will get some looks and not make the best first impression but maybe your umpiring can overcome that.

Living in Southern Mississippi and umpiring here and in NewOrleans area, it is very hot and humid....

I will tell you about a Florida water, if you dont use this your missing out.. you can buy it at Walgreens, and you mix it in a small cooler with ice and water and florida water.. you can't drink it.. you mix it and put a towel in the cooler, it works wonders, it will instantly cool you..you will see Umpires are the CWS using it.. I had used it one weekend and it was 97* and the Humidity made it over a 110* we put it in the cooler around 830 and at 515 pm, the smae ice we used was still very Ice cold... this stuff is great.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Florida_Water

There is another variation of this that I use... I take a small cooler and combine ice, water and wintergreen alcohol. This will last for the whole day. Between innings, I take a towel, dip it in the cooler and wring it out and wipe down my arms and face. It makes you feel cool and refreshed.

On another note, I must also suggest the Rite-Temp Umpire cooling pads. They really do work! They should not be confused as ice packs. They don't not even feel cold to the touch. How they work is they regulate body temp by absorbing the heat from around your chest area. They last about 1hr :45Min. Thats why they are sold in packs of two. I used them all last summer and they really made a huge difference in my stamina during games in 95+ degree weather.

Don't have a tight fitting chest protector. I have a Gold and used to love it super tight on my body. Yesterday while working 5 games in 90 degree heat I tried loosening it up and it helped out great now my body can breath and I feel more comfortable back there.

I'd worry too much about losing protection. If it's loose, it's not going to cover you as well, especially around the collarbone area.

I'd worry too much about losing protection. If it's loose, it's not going to cover you as well, especially around the collarbone area.

I know what you mean. I didn't mean that you wear it like a necklace, I meant that u don't have it super tight on your body. I used to have my cp like a second skin on my body but once I losened up the straps it was much cooler but I didn't lose any protection.

Hey Guys,

I was reading your responses on how to be cooler in the hotter weather. I live in Sacramento and we get some hot, dry heat, summers. Plus I have worked at CDP during some hot and humid days. Some things that i have found that work for me are:

Don't wear tight fitting "under armour' shirts under your shirts. I know they say they absorbing the moisture from your skin. They are really keeping the heat in. Instead wear looser fitting shirts like cotton, something that breaths well.

Ice your wrists. An old football coach told me that when your hot and you need to cool down to ice or apply something cold to your wrist and it will help cool your blood quicker and in return help cool you down. I know a lot of you said you take ice chest with you, put a little ice pack in that you could do this with. After you try it once im sure you will keep doing it as the temperature rises

Don't wear the compression, wear the loose fitting "Heat Gear" from Under Armor. I swear by this stuff. It is loose and dries fairly quickly so it helps dissipate some heat.

Stay hydrated...I take 4 bottles of water to the field for each game with at least 2 of them frozen. Drink plenty and poor a little down the back of your neck...

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried this:

Www.sports-splash.com

One of the guys at CDP recommended it

I'm a science teacher, and after reading on the sports splash it relies on evaporation. Seems like you could get the same result from putting acetone on a towel and rubbing down with it, and you can get it at Walmart....... although the smell might knock you out itself, plus burning eyes and all that. But it wouldn't be too bad splashing some on your wrists. I don't know if its for me, but its a cheap idea.