National Anthem

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5353 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Strange situation...I'm working the plate at a multi-field complex. We're in the 2nd inning, when one of the other fields start playing the national anthem for their 2nd game.

I don't want to be disrespectful, but we're in the middle of a game so we (I) keep playing. Nobody said anything, but I felt lousy.

What would you do?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation this year, except it was being played at a different event all the way across the park. We kept playing. In a multi-park complex I would follow the other fields. If they stop, I'd stop too. If they keep going, then so do I. Regardless though, I don't think anyone would ever fault you for stopping.

The only time this happended to me I got off easy......we were in between innings, and my partner had come in to talk to me.....just as the final few warm up pitches were being taken....the field right beside us started the anthem.........

we went "hats over hearts" and held through out the anthem......activity continued around us.....

I worked the Cal Ripken 12-60/11-60 State Championships this past weekend. Three fields going at once with different start times. Two games held on each field.

On Saturday, we were asked to hold play six times. Twice for our field (of course) and four times for the two other fields, as the National Anthem was played at the beginning of each game.

I love this country; however, it got to be a bit much.

I worked the Cal Ripken 12-60/11-60 State Championships this past weekend. Three fields going at once with different start times. Two games held on each field.

On Saturday, we were asked to hold play six times. Twice for our field (of course) and four times for the two other fields, as the National Anthem was played at the beginning of each game.

I love this country; however, it got to be a bit much.

As far as I'm concerned, they should wait until between innings if they expect all fields to observe the anthem from any field it may be played from.

I do it the one time on my field. I am an extremely patriotic, flag-wavin', red blooded Yankee Doodle Dandy, but I'm not stopping my game for another game's anthem. And I don't feel bad about it, either. Each anthem is played for each game's audience to pay honor to America, and if there are multiple anthems, then they are separate events.

• 1 month later...

Only had this once. Adult ball game at a college campus. With one out in the second inning the college softball game right next to us started the anthem. All issues were taken off of me when the pitcher stopped, walked off the dirt of the pitchers mound and removed his cap.

We all followed suit. It was honestly one of the most classy things I have ever come across.

If you can hear the National Anthem playing and you are at a stopping point (in between batters, inning change, etc), then I would stop and observe the tradition that goes along with our country. It is not disrespectful if you do not do it because it is not on your field, but it is a common courtesy that should be observed whenever possible.