Infield Fly Rule - Signal

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4692 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Standardized signal for this situation is forefinger to the right side of the brim of your cap, correct?

Well, I've been noticing some interesting signals during MLB games for IFR also.

The main partner I work with will give a thumbs up, or with one out, ... kind of a Hawaii -style 'hang-loose' signal ...and I asked where he got that, and one of the things he said was that he's seen the MLB guys do it. Well, ...I've seen it also watching games live and on TV ...

We tend to give this signal when working together, and last night some parent from the VT says .... 'what is this Hawaii?":rolleyes: I thought it was funny ....

So ... what's your sign? :angel4:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standardized signal for this situation is forefinger to the right side of the brim of your cap, correct?

Well, I've been noticing some interesting signals during MLB games for IFR also.

The main partner I work with will give a thumbs up, or with one out, ... kind of a Hawaii -style 'hang-loose' signal ...and I asked where he got that, and one of the things he said was that he's seen the MLB guys do it. Well, ...I've seen it also watching games live and on TV ...

We tend to give this signal when working together, and last night some parent from the VT says .... 'what is this Hawaii?":rolleyes: I thought it was funny ....

This is kinda weird that you mention this. I normally give the forefinger to the center of the cap. But...

We were working a 3-man mechanics game last sunday. I had the Dish.

We had a IFF situation. I was going to start my signal when I noticed U1 give the Middle Finger sign to U3 and U3 responded with his middle finger response.

They both busted laughing. I had to chuckle. No one but us 3 knew why we were laughing.

Not correct there are multiple standards depending on where you are. It could be yours, or the finger to the center of the brim, or a fist to the brim if zero outs, or the outs indicated on the chest, or if its runners at first and second only just giving the plate umpire covers third on a fly ball because thats only used when the infield fly is also in use or the hawain thing you mentione with bases loaed to also idicate that PU is staying home.

All that really matters is that you and all the other umpires know what is going on and you dont need to make it look like your landing a plane out there with multiple signals given in a large manner.

Not correct there are multiple standards depending on where you are. It could be yours, or the finger to the center of the brim, or a fist to the brim if zero outs, or the outs indicated on the chest, or if its runners at first and second only just giving the plate umpire covers third on a fly ball because thats only used when the infield fly is also in use or the hawain thing you mentione with bases loaed to also idicate that PU is staying home.

Ahhh ...cool thanks!

All that really matters is that you and all the other umpires know what is going on and you dont need to make it look like your landing a plane out there with multiple signals given in a large manner.

:Spit_20Laugh:

This is kinda weird that you mention this. I normally give the forefinger to the center of the cap. But...

We were working a 3-man mechanics game last sunday. I had the Dish.

We had a IFF situation. I was going to start my signal when I noticed U1 give the Middle Finger sign to U3 and U3 responded with his middle finger response.

They both busted laughing. I had to chuckle. No one but us 3 knew why we were laughing.

LMAO ROF. Maybe i will try that one tomorrow at the tourney i am working. Wonder what the crowd was thinking?

I worked with one of HokieUmp's first games here in the US and The first time we had a IFF situation he gave the forefinger to the brim. A following time he placed his right hand over his heart. That apparently the standard down under.

It's true - I was at that game. :cool:

At the time I was in Oz, you put your right arm across your chest, with either the closed first or one finger for the outs. It's been a while, so I can't remember if we used the wipe signal to show IFF was no longer in effect. Seems like we did.

I'm sure I did that more that just the day UIC is referring to. I recall it took a little while for me to get rid of that; I recall telling my first set of partners about that signal, so they'd know what the hell I was doing out there.