catoblue

painful

"Life" has done a pretty good job of getting in the way of me calling LL games this year, but I finally had an open evening on a night when a coach called to ask me to work his game. It was their last regular season game for a boys Minors team.

Now as to why it was painful in more ways than one. First-off, I was hit more times in that one game than I usually am in an entire season. 4 to the mask, 6 to the CP, a dozen or more to the shins, one to the cup and a clean miss by F2 than nailed my left forearm a couple inches below the elbow (have that nice tattoo from the seam on the ball). I normally don't pay attention to spectators, but got a good laugh when, right after the loud smack of the ball hitting my arm, I hear from behind me "now THAT'S gonna leave a mark!", followed by, "we're gonna call your wife and tell her to be ready for you with a massage and a cold beer when you get home".

The other part that was painful was that the teams were as unevenly matched as they get. Final score was 25-5. I was a little disgusted with the winning team coaches for running up the score like that. Back in my coaching days, if you are up by 10, the brakes are put on all baserunners - no stealing at all, no matter how many passed balls get to the backstop.

There were four HBPs in the game. A couple of the F2's (not gonna call them catchers after the shelling I took) would turn to the side and flinch when a ball bounced in the dirt - getting hit in their unprotected ribs. I normally don't instruct players, but made a point of telling these guys not to turn because there aren't any pads on their sides or backs - let their equipment do its job.

Had one coach ask me why I called a kid out on a fouled bunt attempt with 2 strikes. Had to keep both teams coaches from warming pitchers. Heard the "we always do it" from both, and I told them that it's very explicit in the rule book that coaches can not warm up pitchers - I also told both that they can have any of the kids on their bench put on a mask and mitt and come out to warm the pitcher up. No takers, so the pitchers only got 1 or 2 warm-up pitches each inning.

It was a nice evening for baseball, and despite the shellacking that both me and the losing team took, it felt really good to be on the field again. Too bad it'll be next year before i get back out there :(

. . . "we're gonna call your wife and tell her to be ready for you with a massage and a cold beer when you get home".

Well, did they? You certainly deserved it!

Too bad it'll be next year before i get back out there :(

What? No post-season?

I also told both that they can have any of the kids on their bench put on a mask and mitt and come out to warm the pitcher up. No takers, so the pitchers only got 1 or 2 warm-up pitches each inning.

How about the coach stay in the dugout and make sure their catcher keeps their gear on. This sounds like one of those where all the equipment is taken off after the half-inning and forgotten until after the third out.

I also told both that they can have any of the kids on their bench put on a mask and mitt and come out to warm the pitcher up. No takers, so the pitchers only got 1 or 2 warm-up pitches each inning.

How about the coach stay in the dugout and make sure their catcher keeps their gear on. This sounds like one of those where all the equipment is taken off after the half-inning and forgotten until after the third out.

I hear ya and agree. Back when I coached, my F2's always were made to have their SG's and CP on if he wasn't batting or on the bases. As a manager, that is the smart thing to do, but these guys seemed oblivious to that line of thinking. At the point when they say they want to warm their F1, I went with the reasoning behind the rule (participation) and told them that any kid on their bench could wear a mask and warm F1 up.

. . . "we're gonna call your wife and tell her to be ready for you with a massage and a cold beer when you get home".

Well, did they? You certainly deserved it!

I think the response was along the lines of :kissass::rollinglaugh:

Too bad it'll be next year before i get back out there :(

What? No post-season?

Our local league isn't hosting any tourneys this year :(

Our local league isn't hosting any tourneys this year :(

There must be other leagues in your District that need help. If the travel isn't too far, I'm sure you could pick up some All-Star games somewhere.

I hear ya and agree. Back when I coached, my F2's always were made to have their SG's and CP on if he wasn't batting or on the bases. As a manager, that is the smart thing to do, but these guys seemed oblivious to that line of thinking. At the point when they say they want to warm their F1, I went with the reasoning behind the rule (participation) and told them that any kid on their bench could wear a mask and warm F1 up.

I didn't make my catchers keep their CPs on but shin guards, absolutely. I did make them race to get gear on. My son was a champion, he rolled his CP over his head like a shirt and grabbed his mask. With his shinguards on he usually beat at least half the defense out of the dugout. The thing that blows my mind is man catchers take their cup out to bat. That's what takes a ton of time, putting it back in. My son is a black belt so he was used to wearing a cup for hours at a time. He would put it on at home and take it out when he got back home.