How do you clean your plate equipment?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5764 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have cleaned my equipment many ways. Sometimes putting it in the bathtub and running warn water on it to get the funk out then having to clean the tub. It is effective but too time consuming and hard laboring. I have heard of others using Febreze, that doesn't get it clean, it just masks the dirt and sweat in your gear.:P

Well, about two years ago, I came up with an idea. I had to ask the wife to use a certain item in the house to clean my equipment, well she gave me the thumbs up, what a shock.:D

I asked her if I could use the dishwasher to clean up my equipment. I put the chest protector on the top with the shin guards and mask on the bottom. Do not put soap it with them. You will smell like dishes after you next game.:D

As far as cleaning shoes, well, there is still a mystery of how to easily clean those.:rolleyes: I usually put them on my feet and stand in the tub with a little water in the tub and just scrub them with a good brush, no soap.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of cleaning your equipment will be what type of shin guards, and chest protector you have. All of my equpment I have is closed cell material. I like this and look for it when buying equipment. This essentially means moisture cannot penetrate the material. and get funky on the inside. Some people do not like closed cell material because it isn't breathable and comfortable.

As littleleagueump mentioned, I think it is a joke when I see guys spraying down their equipment with Febreeze that doesn't clean it just takes away odor.

I usually bring in my equipment once a week and Lysol the hell out of it. This kills germs and the funky smell. A few times a year I thouroughly clean my equipment. I fill a bathtub with Lysol household cleaner an put my CP and shin guards (without the padding) and let them sit in there overnight. The next day I will put them out side to dry.

My CP is 6 years old and in very good shape other than a bit of rust on the rivits and my shin guards are probably older as I got them used. They are fine as well other than nothing I try gets rid of my squeeking like the tin man from the straps.

Oh, I do use the dishwasher to clean my cup after every game. It really ticks off the wife, but I've never had any crotch rotch. I picked up this from my dad in jr high and have done it ever since.

I'm one of the jokers that febreze the soft material on CP and SG. :rolleyes:

I rub down the hard surfaces with a damp cloth. I smell nice. I use Armor-All on my shoes. I will bring them in to polish every 2 -3 weeks. My HSM gets a dusting on the outside every game. It's my first year with this so I'm still trying to figure it out. The cushions come out so I'll probably try to wash them with my shirts.

I febreze the hell out of it, after a game when I have another that day. Other than that I hand wash with Gain to get rid of smell. It works well in small amounts. I am curious though, what type of CP goes in the dishwasher well? I wear the Pro9. As far as shoes, I use Kiwi High Gloss at the beginning of the season and Armor All before/after each game. Every 2 weeks or so (depending on usage) kiwi again.

I put my WV Platinum in the dishwasher. Works very well, but only do this about every two weeks or so. I use a Febreeze-type product that is marketed to hockey players (imagine that here in MN!) and twice a year send my entire set to be steam-cleaned. Costs about $40 for the whole set, shoes included. This is another thing that has been marketed towards hockey players, but with the recent MRSA cases, schools are steam cleaning their football equipment before putting it into storage for the year.

As far as polish on the shoes, I still sit in a chair in the parking lot (dressing room) before every game and give my shoes and old-fashioned spit shime with the classic Kiwi black polish. Sure, I get a little grief for it, but it was how I was taught by my father. Old dogs, new tricks. Bad combination.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using our local Little League's equipment, and after a game I want to febreze the daylights out of my self, or have my wife hose me down!!!!

That got me shopping on ebay for my own gear. So far, have a CP and mask, still looking for that awesome deal on SG's. I expect to have my own set of gear complete in time for next year's LL season.

As littleleagueump mentioned, I think it is a joke when I see guys spraying down their equipment with Febreeze that doesn't clean it just takes away odor.

Well them call me a joke if you want... I fereeze my stuff after every game... Here in Missouri it get pretty humid, and to get rid of that smell I use it. I also clean my stuff about every 2-3 weeks. My shoes.. Well I was in the army and shine my shoes by hand with Kiwi before every game.. they looks nice and clean every game. I also do this with my base shoes..

Like many I am a uniform freak and cleanliness is next to godliness. I spread out my gear after each game to air dry. Then I use Clorox bleach wipes to clean off any unwanted guests!!! I find it workes great. yeah a little rust on the rivests but that is from perspiration. I have Plus-POS hard shell protector and shin guards so I am truly hesitant to place anything in the dishwasher. Aird dry your plate shoes and remove the liners to let them dry. then sprinkle a little powder in there. Works like a charm. Also I read rercentlyl on another site that Under Armor has a new ventilated cup that is suppose to breathe better. I know in the summer heat rot crotch can sneak up on anyone who does multiple games per week. I saw one a t Dicks Sporting goods but it was pricey $40.00 with a jockstrap. Just my two cents. Great post though. Balls and strikes baby!!!:)

I've been using our local Little League's equipment, and after a game I want to febreze the daylights out of my self, or have my wife hose me down!!!!

That got me shopping on ebay for my own gear. So far, have a CP and mask, still looking for that awesome deal on SG's. I expect to have my own set of gear complete in time for next year's LL season.

Wnat a good set of gear at a pretty good price? If you have the money, go to catsports.net and look at their combo packages. All of them are Wilson and West Vest.

Like many I am a uniform freak and cleanliness is next to godliness. I spread out my gear after each game to air dry. Then I use Clorox bleach wipes to clean off any unwanted guests!!! I find it workes great. yeah a little rust on the rivests but that is from perspiration. I have Plus-POS hard shell protector and shin guards so I am truly hesitant to place anything in the dishwasher. Aird dry your plate shoes and remove the liners to let them dry. then sprinkle a little powder in there. Works like a charm. Also I read rercentlyl on another site that Under Armor has a new ventilated cup that is suppose to breathe better. I know in the summer heat rot crotch can sneak up on anyone who does multiple games per week. I saw one a t Dicks Sporting goods but it was pricey $40.00 with a jockstrap. Just my two cents. Great post though. Balls and strikes baby!!!:)

Great post, Thanks.

I am using Diamond Ix3 products currently, and have been happy with them. I work Babe Ruth through HS. I also work Over 30 and Over 40. I too, have tried the wet towel to clean and lysol to disinfect route, but have not been completely satisfied with the cleanliness of my gear. I have an upright washer, so I decided to give it a try with my CP and SG's. I set it to stain wash, because it's about a 3 hour wash, use cold water and Tide liquid, and have never been happier. I usually wash my gear every 2-3 weeks, or right after a 10-12 game tourney over a weekend, and it is working out great. I wouldn't try this with a conventional washer, but the upright gets my gear clean, and it comes out looking brand new.

My only frustration now is with my HSM. The mesh material that is glued to the foam starts peeling off after the first few hot days of the year. I love the HSM's but am on my second one in 3 years. Those liners just don't hold up well over the course of a season, so now I think I am going to take a closer look at the new Wilson HSM and see if they use the same material inside that the others do.

Thanks for all the insight that you guys bring to the table, I have picked up some great tips and tricks since visiting this and the ABUA site!