Wilson "MLU" hardshell

AmackNH

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use it through high school jv and have taken many shots off the chest and shoulders and the protection is great...i love this cp and i had assumed that i would buy a gold or plat by now and i havent....my worst shot this year (maybe worst ever) was a foul ball straight back that hit the bottom of my cp and went to my inner thigh...i guess a longer CP would have helped, but.all of the hard shells seem to stop at the bottom the ribs

They're fine protection. But somewhere down the road you'll pine for a Platinum or Gold (or new the All Star).

I say spend the extra $40, and just get into pro gear.

Thats the thing....I can a brand new MLU for $65 right now so the difference to a glod or platinum is actually closer to $100

Thats the thing....I can a brand new MLU for $65 right now so the difference to a glod or platinum is actually closer to $100

If money isn't an issue, think about it this way: You're going to spend $65 now, then spend $160 for the Gold/Platinum in a few years (as you, hopefully, move up to higher-level ball). The resell value on the MLU is going to be nowhere near $65.

Also, in the off-chance you stop umpiring in the next few years (hopefully not), you can resell the Gold/Platinum for very close to what you buy it for.

They're fine protection. But somewhere down the road you'll pine for a Platinum or Gold (or new the All Star).

Here's what I'd do. Buy the MLU, and save up for the new All Star. If it's as cool as I think it's going to be, you'll have a very stout back up protector in the MLU.

It's always nice to have a backup rig.

Anyone use the bicep extensions with this CP? I worked a HS summer ball game last week with a guy who wore the Diamond iX model and had the bicep extensions. I thought the extra padding there looked silly, especially when considering you rarely get hit there. I've got lots of naturaly padding in the upper arm area so the few shots i've worn there haven't been substantial.. Just looks like the bicep extensions are overkill

I looked at the "ML" and if it would have been longer I'd have bought it. I'm almost 6'3 so most CPs leave my bottom ribs in harms way. The Wilson was my first choice but it's a little shorter than most.

My 12u gear is Champro and has served me well for 5-6 years so I pulled the trigger on a Champro Plate Armor with bicep and bottom extentions. I've only worn it once so far because I'm doing mostly 12u games right now and those kids just don't throw that hard yet. I had a game last night with both f1's hitting low 60's. It seems more restrictive around the shoulders but I'm sure that's due to the armor. I took a foul to the upper arm and it didn't hurt at all! Bicep ext were worth every $$ with that one shot. Took one off shoulder as well and really didn't even feel it. I know it's had a few mixed reviews but if it holds up as well as my soft cp then I'll be well pleased with it. Our Jr/Sr/Big LL will get started this week and I can do a better review after a few 80 mph shots. From what I can tell so far, I have a good CP with bicept and ab protection for $100.

I'm not dinging the Wilson at all mind you. I know a guy that wears the ML in the NAIA games we work and he loves his but he's maybe 5'9. If you can try one and it covers your ribs well I think it's a great CP.

Hope this helped

Has All Star released the new CP yet? I have heard thet are working on a hardshell. I will be upgrading my CP for next year so I am researching now to make sure I get the right one.

Has All Star released the new CP yet? I have heard thet are working on a hardshell. I will be upgrading my CP for next year so I am researching now to make sure I get the right one.

It's supposed to be a model for 2012 from what I gather.........

If money isn't an issue, think about it this way: You're going to spend $65 now, then spend $160 for the Gold/Platinum in a few years (as you, hopefully, move up to higher-level ball). The resell value on the MLU is going to be nowhere near $65.

I guess that there is an exception to every rule...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILSON-CHEST-VEST-UMPIRE-CHEST-PROTECTOR-BASEBALL-/360371885861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7d69725

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53e7d69725

1 bid at 69, with 4 days left ...........................................patience grasshopper ;)

ok.. I work some pretty good baseball, and some some buddies who work the same and higher..

The champion CP will work just fine as well.. as long as it is a hard plastic and some padding on the other side, you will be fine...There is no need to go and spend 170 bucks on a platinum, when I got my Douglas guy on here laughed. I wear it in DI games and if I make it this year i will wear it in the Minors... it has less foam padding but feels 10x better than the West Vest gold..LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53e7d69725

This is the case of a dumbass trying to sell it. "Chest Vest?" That's why he's not getting the hits. This one is a damn good deal, and it will remain that way (unless a bidding war starts from two people here).

Back when eBay was just becoming popular, I used to flip products similar to this. I'd find misspellings that won't be found by the casual searchers, buy it for a good price, then resell it for more than I bought it. It was a great investment.

ok.. I work some pretty good baseball, and some some buddies who work the same and higher..

The champion CP will work just fine as well.. as long as it is a hard plastic and some padding on the other side, you will be fine...There is no need to go and spend 170 bucks on a platinum, when I got my Douglas guy on here laughed. I wear it in DI games and if I make it this year i will wear it in the Minors... it has less foam padding but feels 10x better than the West Vest gold..LOL

Mazza, ....are you saying you wear a Champion, or a Douglas ?? Either I don't have enough coffee, or your post isn't reading right to me :unsure:

Mazza, ....are you saying you wear a Champion, or a Douglas ?? Either I don't have enough coffee, or your post isn't reading right to me :unsure:

I wear a douglas.. heck i was one of the 1st to have on on here...LOL

But I know umpires who have the champion, and love it.. and it works just fine.

I would not call this a good deal. You can buy a brand new charcoal for about $20 more ($81) and it will be the new version not the old version. For that matter you can buy a new Platinum for $50 more and have something that you can wear at any level and never question if you have enough gear.