Grabbing a kid

Got a call last night from an experienced umpire.

He's working a 10 year-old game. Team A is up 12-5, the catcher's got the ball. Team B has a runner at 3, doing the "LL Dance", trying to draw a throw from the catcher. Ultimately, the throw is made, the runner takes off, scores. Big deal, Team A still wins 12-6.

After the game,Team A's Coach (the team that won) is screaming at his kids. The PU sees the coach grab the catcher by the shirt, and pull him toward him. PU yells "Coach, take your hand off that kid, and don't you ever do it again!" The coach immediately complies. In the parking lot, parents approach the PU, asking him to report it, as they're afraid of this guy with their kids.

No other issues with the Coach this season: it turns out the catcher is the Coach's son. What do you think we need to do, here?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely file a report. When I was an RA in college, we would file what we called a "sticky report." It was the standard formal report that would go on file, and then add a sticky note on the top with additional information that might be pertinent, but couldn't/shouldn't be in the report (i.e., what the parents said in the parking lot). Some may see this as "cheating" or "unfair" but it was very effective in getting the info to people who need it with out sacrificing someones anonymity.

Who are you reporting him to...the League? Police? Child services? Why don't the parents report him if they saw it also?

I agree someone should be told, just to make sure this is a molehill and not a mountain.

Yeah, I'm talking about a League Report: I agree, this is a minor issue. My question is, what should the League do about it? It seems like a one-time brain fart by ths coach, but the parents need some assurance that he's not going to grab their kids. I'm thinking a stern "wag of my finger" should do it....

Basically, I would let him know he is being observed and this will not be tolerated. Any further incident may bring additional penalties. Don't let it happen again.

I agree anything more at this point may be too much. It may just be a 1 time deal and never happen again. But, I would do my best and put a little fear in him to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I agree file the report with the league and keep it to the facts. Just the incident that was observed first hand, leave out all of the hear say. The league should then make sure he understands that this type of behavior has been observed and will not be tolerated. Keep him on a very short leash. I too think if he knows that people are watching him, he will make sure to keep his hands to himself.

I would report it and let the league handle it. If they do a good job of it then they will watch and perhaps ask questions of the parents without you bringing them in. Whether it was his son or not that type behavior should not be tolerated. Let us know how this ends.

I have it happen all the time when I am doing wrestling tournaments. Dads go nuts on regionals and nationals and we have to step in several times a tournament. If the police see it, they stop it and put them on notice that further occurances will be jail time.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you kidding me?!?

A coach grabs a kid ... a ten year old child, mind you - and the parents want the UMPIRE to report it? Why aren't the parents reporting it to the league? :WTF

I've got news for any of you present coaches and wannabe coaches:

I have a 5-year old daughter. Likely she'll be playing youth sports in the near future. You coaches so much as THINK about touching her and the only 'report' that will be needed is a (&^*@( CORONER'S report. :D

WTF is it with the parents here?!? This is NOT a "minor issue". Any coach that does that to a young child has no *^&*@( business being anywhere near them! And mind you - this was the coach of the WINNING team!?! What does this coach do to the kids when there are no parents around - (practice...)? If an adult does this to another adult, it's called ASSAULT. :)

As you can plainly see, this sort of this sticks in my craw. :BD:

End of rant.

Edited by BrianC14

It was his own kid, Brian. The Umpire called him on it, and reported it to me. The other parents reported it to the League. The parents called the coach on it, and he resigned.