Need Advice: I Need Sunglasses

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3845 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Please don't laugh men,

But today I wore contacts on the field for the first time, and I thought I'd gone to heaven. Even though I had a cup shot, foul ball off my mask, and a foul ball below my CP, so now I have a bruise on both sides of my stomach, it was great.

I have astigmatism, and I could never wear contacts until the other day my eye doctor came up with a pair I can wear. The difference is amazing, and I have worn glasses for all 30 years I have umpired. II had to do something to get rid of the glasses, and finally I found something.

But, i can see (no pun intended) that I will need some sunglasses for these contacts. Any suggestions about what are good sunglasses to wear?

Thanks!

Been wearing M frame Oakleys for many years. I misplaced my favorites, and picked up a pair of Polarized fill ins from Costco for about 40 clams. Wow! Polarization really makes a difference.

I like the fit of the Oakleys better, and I've stood behind the company for many years. They sponsored my earlier efforts, and helped a fellow racer when they didn't have to. They are stand up folks. I'll be seeking new, polarized lenses for my M frames.

I vote for a pair of Oakleys too. If you can afford it, they are pricey. They are the best out there IMO. Mine are Flak Jackets. So light and comfortable I forget that I have them on.

I have tried Maui Jim, Bolle, Oakley, Peakvision, and Gargoyle. I like the Maui Jim the best. I also wear contacts and I'm now seriously considering using sunglasses on the plate. Earlier this year I worked a college game on the dish and the wind was blowing straight in and hard. I put on the Peakvision and saw the ball pretty well and the glasses protected my eyes from the wind and dust.

My next pair will be the ESS Crossbow. I am interested in the ESS system because they are fog and scratch resistant, 2.4mm Polycarbonate lenses, and 100% UVA and UVB protection. They are also authorized by the US Army. The gear junky in me is anxious to get my hands on these. . .

Pete

Please don't laugh men,

But today I wore contacts on the field for the first time, and I thought I'd gone to heaven. Even though I had a cup shot, foul ball off my mask, and a foul ball below my CP, so now I have a bruise on both sides of my stomach, it was great.

I have astigmatism, and I could never wear contacts until the other day my eye doctor came up with a pair I can wear. The difference is amazing, and I have worn glasses for all 30 years I have umpired. II had to do something to get rid of the glasses, and finally I found something.

But, i can see (no pun intended) that I will need some sunglasses for these contacts. Any suggestions about what are good sunglasses to wear?

Thanks!

I used to wear contacts for all the sports I work. 2 years ago I started wearing my glasses for football, then baseball & softball. I tried the glasses in wrestling, but it was hard to get my head close to the mat when I needed to.

The reason I switched was with my contacts I couldn't read at night. With wrestling I don't have to read or write in the dark.

To each his own.

Please don't laugh men,

Thanks!

JK, contacts are great, and I went with them years ago. I was playing tennis in college, and told the doc I needed the best vision possible. He steered by toward gas permiable, hard ones, and I've never looked back. I wear my glasses every now and again, but I wouldn't on the field, or when I really needed depth perception. I can't golf with glasses, for instance.

Hard contacts are a b*tch for about two weeks, and then you don't feel them at all. Just a suggestion. Been with hards for about 30 years.

I recommend polarized. I lost my regular oakley radars and decided to replace them with the polarized radars. The difference is like night and day! The way the polarized radars handle glare is amazing! You can find them on eBay for around $180-$200. Regular price is about $260 plus tax.

I wear Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ SOLFX. They're transition lenses. When it's bright they're gray but when it's overcast they turn amber which really makes things pop. I love them.

Oakleys. Don't go cheap on your eyes (that's my advice). I used to do this, and once I put on the Oakleys, I realized that I should have gone Oakley from day 1.

I have the Split Jacket with the double Polarized lens, and a pair of G40 lenses. Both are FANTASTIC!

NOTE: you must try on Oakley glasses though as some may not fit your face to your liking. Make sure you have proper 'coverage' with your sunglasses ....you don't want a large gap underneath your eye and your cheek ....

I have tried Maui Jim, Bolle, Oakley, Peakvision, and Gargoyle. I like the Maui Jim the best. I also wear contacts and I'm now seriously considering using sunglasses on the plate. Earlier this year I worked a college game on the dish and the wind was blowing straight in and hard. I put on the Peakvision and saw the ball pretty well and the glasses protected my eyes from the wind and dust.

My next pair will be the ESS Crossbow. I am interested in the ESS system because they are fog and scratch resistant, 2.4mm Polycarbonate lenses, and 100% UVA and UVB protection. They are also authorized by the US Army. The gear junky in me is anxious to get my hands on these. . .

Pete

I tried the Maui Jim's as well, and I liked them a lot. thank you for the suggestions, when I make my final selection I will let you know with a full report.

I wear a pair of Wal-Mart polarized sunglasses from the eyecare area. They cost me $20 and have the multi-colored lens. I love them. I tried to use my Costa Del Mar 580's and did not like the way I picked up the ball behind the plate. I use them field all the time.

Jk, I am in the same canoe as you as I wear ( and LOVE) my contacts. As cool as Oakleys look, I just cant justify the $. My step son gets a military discount and can get Oakleys for $70 and I still cant pull that trigger. For me I just buy tinted safety glasses at my local builder supply store. Safety glasses tend to wrap around more and are tougher than most sunglasses. Ive been wearing the same $20 pair for 2 seasons now with now scracthes/issues. My 2 cents

For me I just buy tinted safety glasses at my local builder supply store. Safety glasses tend to wrap around more and are tougher than most sunglasses. Ive been wearing the same $20 pair for 2 seasons now with now scracthes/issues. My 2 cents

Thats good as long as they block the uv light rays some dont and with the tint your eyes will dilate wider and the glasses will be even worse than not wearing any becaue more rays will get in.

Jk, I am in the same canoe as you as I wear ( and LOVE) my contacts. As cool as Oakleys look, I just cant justify the $. My step son gets a military discount and can get Oakleys for $70 and I still cant pull that trigger. For me I just buy tinted safety glasses at my local builder supply store. Safety glasses tend to wrap around more and are tougher than most sunglasses. Ive been wearing the same $20 pair for 2 seasons now with now scracthes/issues. My 2 cents

WOW, ... not even 2 game fees and your vision and eye-health isn't worth it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...