Moving the game along

treedog24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5237 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

House League ball...

In my pre-game with the coaches I make it a point to remind them about speed up rules for between innings, but sure enough it seems like the catchers take their sweet @$$ time getting ready. What are some of the options I have as umpire to get these guys moving between innings? Start calling balls on the defense? Dump the coaches-which I would like to avoid-? It seems to me that every half innings take at least 2:30.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your house league rulebook (kinda rare it seems sometimes) has a time limit then enforce it. If not FED has the 5 pitches in 1 minute (timed from the 3rd out). If he gets 1 done in a minute because the catcher was lazy :shakehead: then he only gets one. Typically only has to happen 1 inning for the participants to get the idea.

House League ball...

In my pre-game with the coaches I make it a point to remind them about speed up rules for between innings, but sure enough it seems like the catchers take their sweet @$$ time getting ready. What are some of the options I have as umpire to get these guys moving between innings? Start calling balls on the defense? Dump the coaches-which I would like to avoid-? It seems to me that every half innings take at least 2:30.

Get an AC off his rump to warm up the pitcher. What else are they doing when their teams on defense? Nothing.

That's what I would do. Start limiting warm ups. The fewer they get, the quicker they get the idea. Second, do not allow the catcher to throw to 2B afterwards. He and his coach will get the idea or they will not get to see their precious kid throw to 2B the only time during the game.

Two things. If there is a time limit and more rec, then it is up to them. Second, I do like saying "lets go batter" between pitches if they pull a Nomar or come on catcher...if he is lingering or signing autographs in the dugout....

Or as Bri would say, having a smoke in the back.

Two things. If there is a time limit and more rec, then it is up to them. Second, I do like saying "lets go batter" between pitches if they pull a Nomar or come on catcher...if he is lingering or signing autographs in the dugout....

Or as Bri would say, having a smoke in the back.

ACs... more likely raiding the cooler before the kids can get their ice cream.

Well, yeah... "turn left, Johnny"... :shakehead:

Don't forget these greats:

Back.

BACK!

You've got the pitcher, I have the 1B-men.

BACK!

Go.

Right here.

BACK!

Still has the ball, still has the ball, still has the ball.

BACK!

Watch the coach.

BACK!

So I think that ;)!

If the pitcher is getting warmed up then all I would do is call for a batter as soon as the catcher makes it.

If the pitcher throws his five to the coach that's not my problem. I will say two left to the pitcher and on deck hitter. If the coach is smart he will jump the catcher about speeding up.

I had one those slow catchers last night. The first inning he went to catch, he was forever. I started to limit the pitcher when the pitcher yelled at him to take it down.

Funny, but the last time I had this issue real bad (besides LL), I was PU and it was an over 30 league. I had a time limit. Sunlight. I figured out that either I get frustrated with their lack of hustle and make a pain out of myself or just enjoy the night and let them play 3 - 4 innings. Less work plus much less whining to put up with (former jocks who think they still are). I get paid either way. For the record, they got 3 full innings before they realized they were running out of sunlight. I cursed out my partner (j/k) for clueing them in on the fading sunlight. They only got 1 more inning done.

Don't forget these greats:

Back.

BACK!

You've got the pitcher, I have the 1B-men.

BACK!

Go.

Right here.

BACK!

Still has the ball, still has the ball, still has the ball.

BACK!

Watch the coach.

BACK!

So I think that :clap:!

Better:

Go!

Wait!

Go! Go!

No! Back!

No, Go! Go!

Billy, you've got to LISTEN to ME!

Now guys, dont laugh, this past weekend, had two games in between rain storms. Yes, this is FL in the summer.

I used the line in the second game (before it started) of "dehydrated strike zone"; of course I had to explain it, but both teams got it. Yes, I got it from the kid in WI, but that comment was just powerfully funny. First game 7 innings (3 hr time limit) and second same time limit, 9. So it worked....

Now guys, dont laugh, this past weekend, had two games in between rain storms. Yes, this is FL in the summer.

I used the line in the second game (before it started) of "dehydrated strike zone"; of course I had to explain it, but both teams got it. Yes, I got it from the kid in WI, but that comment was just powerfully funny. First game 7 innings (3 hr time limit) and second same time limit, 9. So it worked....

You said you were gonna use it - great job!!!

We get rapidly changing weather here in Upstate NY (if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it'll be different)... I'm gonna have to keep this one in my back pocket for potential use one of these days too!!!

Even worse than waiting for F2, the LL coaches that like to hold a team meeting/huddle in front of the dougout every inning - what a colossal waste of time!

I recently started telling coaches "Let's go, you're wasting daylight".

I worked a U-trip 8U game last night (training game for my 14-year-old son/junior ump!). Home coach is doing the pep talk before his team takes the field, and it's going on too long. From my spot halfway down the baseline (maybe 10 feet from him) I say, "Let's go coach. Let's get as many innings in as we can." and an assistant coach actually holds up his hand in the "stop" signal to me!

I walk over and tell the HC "It's time to get them on the field," and he nods, then goes back to the huddle.

As soon as the pitcher hit the mound, I called for the batter. Had to wait for the infielder warmup ball to go in, but poor F1 didn't get a single warmup.

No problems the rest of the game, though. And it taught my son a lesson about game management. 5 full innings in 96 minutes.

Depending on the situation I have a problem limiting warm-ups to a team, and especially eliminating them all together. There is a reason for them: to ensure the players don't get hurt. I'm not saying I won't limit them at times, but they should at the very least get a few throws in before the batter comes up. Should the pitcher have been warming up prior to game time? Absolutely. But if it's been a while since his warm-ups were complete you should have given him a couple throws. Sometimes you have to draw a line a different way.

Last year I was working a DH LL Sr's game with HokieUmp I had the second dish.

At start time we had all the defense on the field except for the pitcher, who we later found out got busted smoking on the complex. We'd been waiting quite a while and I was actually thinking of awarding the first batter 1st base. As the pitcher walks onto the field I call for the batter and was just about to send him to first when, then the coach realizes he hadn't given his team the line up and now I had to wait even longer for the first batter. The pitcher wanted to warm up and got pissy when I told him no, and I stood on home to make sure he didn't. When I finally got a batter I announced the count as 3-2 for both teams delaying the game.

Last year I was working a DH LL Sr's game with HokieUmp I had the second dish.

At start time we had all the defense on the field except for the pitcher, who we later found out got busted smoking on the complex. We'd been waiting quite a while and I was actually thinking of awarding the first batter 1st base. As the pitcher walks onto the field I call for the batter and was just about to send him to first when, then the coach realizes he hadn't given his team the line up and now I had to wait even longer for the first batter. The pitcher wanted to warm up and got pissy when I told him no, and I stood on home to make sure he didn't. When I finally got a batter I announced the count as 3-2 for both teams delaying the game.

Good times, good times........

Hey, Mr UIC, guess where I'm at Saturday? Same place! Whooooooo!!:bang: