Ball hit hand on swing goes fair

Guest BAP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1736 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

21 answers to this question

So from this, a "what would you do" situation. Happened to me last week. I was PU. Nobody on base. Inside pitch batter swings, and my first thought was "that sounded just a little strange", but could be the grip and the ball dribbled out toward 3rd base (but not close enough to have a fair/foul decision). Pitcher runs over, gets the ball and throws it to first. Safe by a step or so. I, of course, had booked it out to watch for a pulled foot. BR comes back to the base and starts rubbing one hand with the other and tells the base coach "that came off my knuckles".

I didn't see it hit the batter, and until the comment was made (and which was not even made to me, but which was overheard), I would not have declared the batter to have been touched by the ball (even though it didn't surprise me since it sounded funny). I decided to ignore what I'd heard and left the BR at first. Nobody from the other team said anything and we played on. Was I right or wrong to do that?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guest BAP said:

Batter swung. Ball hit hands during swing and goes fair.  Results in infield hit. 

I would suggest that this was the call.

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

false

And this should be accurate, but likely is not based on the OP.

To be clear, I am not suggesting the OP is correct.

1 hour ago, kylehutson said:

So from this, a "what would you do" situation. Happened to me last week. I was PU. Nobody on base. Inside pitch batter swings, and my first thought was "that sounded just a little strange", but could be the grip and the ball dribbled out toward 3rd base (but not close enough to have a fair/foul decision). Pitcher runs over, gets the ball and throws it to first. Safe by a step or so. I, of course, had booked it out to watch for a pulled foot. BR comes back to the base and starts rubbing one hand with the other and tells the base coach "that came off my knuckles".

I didn't see it hit the batter, and until the comment was made (and which was not even made to me, but which was overheard), I would not have declared the batter to have been touched by the ball (even though it didn't surprise me since it sounded funny). I decided to ignore what I'd heard and left the BR at first. Nobody from the other team said anything and we played on. Was I right or wrong to do that?

I guess what would you do if the coach then came out and said "he just said it came off his knuckles, that should be a strike"?

You're supposed to use all the information that is at your disposal to make your calls.  It's a piece of information you have, whether you asked for it or not.

You also may have unwittingly just reinforced a belief that both teams have, that the hands are part of the bat (which is why the coach didn't argue it...and why the kid didn't think twice about saying it).

It's dicey, but I think calling the strike here is correct...and if you can sell it that you made the call yourself (or with your partner) without the kid incriminating himself, even better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Were you blocked out somehow, or just missed tracking this pitch all the way in?  I'm not understanding how you didn't see it, but "sounded a little strange" was your first indicator.  Whoa now! I just came back from TWO FULL WEEKS of vacation, and I could be misinterpreting what you wrote.....

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I guess what would you do if the coach then came out and said "he just said it came off his knuckles, that should be a strike"?

I would go to my partner, tell him everything I had seen and heard, probably rule it a dead-ball strike, unless my partner vehemently said it wasn't.

45 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Were you blocked out somehow, or just missed tracking this pitch all the way in?  I'm not understanding how you didn't see it, but "sounded a little strange" was your first indicator. 

Full disclosure: This was rec league 14U softball. The pitch was so far inside it would have been a HBP if she hadn't swung. Yes, I was blocked out.

6 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Did you have a BU?

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Full disclosure: This was rec league 14U softball. The pitch was so far inside it would have been a HBP if she hadn't swung. Yes, I was blocked out.

Oh, son of a ... it WAS dead ball time!   :Spit_20Laugh:Screw you guys, I’m going home.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

I would suggest that this was the call.

And this should be accurate, but likely is not based on the OP.

To be clear, I am not suggesting the OP is correct.

I thought it was a test question:cool:

• Like 1