Interference?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1717 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Fed (bolding mine): 3-3-4: Whenever team members are loosening up in an area which is not protected by a fence or other structure, another member of the team with a glove must be positioned between them and the batter to protect them from a batted or thrown ball within the confines of the playing field. No one is to interfere with a live ball.

Since I assume that their team was at bat and they are authorized to be on the field... This would be deemed interference. If their team wasn't at bat, it would be nothing. 

2 hours ago, yawetag said:

Fed (bolding mine): 3-3-4: Whenever team members are loosening up in an area which is not protected by a fence or other structure, another member of the team with a glove must be positioned between them and the batter to protect them from a batted or thrown ball within the confines of the playing field. No one is to interfere with a live ball.

He didn't interfere with the ball. He interfered with the fielder.

OBR 6.01(d) reads, "In case of unintentional interference with play by any person herein authorized to be on the playing field (except members of the team at bat who are participating in the game,* or a base coach, any of whom interfere with a fielder attempting to field a batted or thrown ball;** or an umpire) the ball is alive and in play. If the interference is intentional, the ball shall be dead at the moment of the interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference."

*Does "who are participating in the game" refer to the entire roster or only the players actually in the game? If the former, the modifying phrase is superfluous.

**The OBR rule addresses Interfering with a fielder.

FED 2-21-1(a): "Offensive interference is an act (physical or verbal) by the team at bat . . . which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play...."

The 2013 Wendelstedt manual defines on page one the term Authorized Personnel…allowed on the field, and covered within these rules, include photographers, officers of the law on duty, defensive team members not participating in the game, and other personnel approved by the home team and umpires prior to the game’s start.

From the 2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.12, p. 91):

When judging interference by a member of the team at bat who is not in the game but who is authorized to be on the field (e.g., players in the bullpen on the field, base coaches, etc.) the fielder would have to be, in the judgment of the umpire, in position to field the batted or thrown ball when the member of the offensive team interferes…

I don’t think the FED rule 3-3-4 is the relevant rule nor is the definition of interference helpful here either. I think the applicable rule is 7-4-1f.

2018 NFHS rule 7 SECTION 4 BATTER IS OUT

ART. 1 . . . A batter is also out as in above penalty or when:

f. any member of the offensive team or coach other than the runner(s) interferes with a fielder who is attempting to field a foul fly ball;

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...