L'Ville-Vandy Pitcher Swearing

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1761 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I didn't watch the whole game so not entirely sure if there were things leading up to this, but surprising that it seemed the PU didn't get involved here.  Then Vandy rallied in the 9th and most of their dugout was out taunting the pitcher.  How would you handle this?

As an aside, I was surprised to see ESPN replay the pitcher's tirade a couple times where you could clearly see he was f-bombing the batter (it wasn't fuzzed out like it is on the link), especially in a college game.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/baseball/cws/story/_/id/27027839/vandy-rallies-9th-pitcher-profane-taunts

5 hours ago, zoops said:

I didn't watch the whole game so not entirely sure if there were things leading up to this, but surprising that it seemed the PU didn't get involved here.  Then Vandy rallied in the 9th and most of their dugout was out taunting the pitcher.  How would you handle this?

As an aside, I was surprised to see ESPN replay the pitcher's tirade a couple times where you could clearly see he was f-bombing the batter (it wasn't fuzzed out like it is on the link), especially in a college game.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/baseball/cws/story/_/id/27027839/vandy-rallies-9th-pitcher-profane-taunts

There are not any clips from what occurred between innings were there?

I think we have the best game managers in the country working out there. I think we can trust them to handle it appropriately given the setting. 

No doubt the CWS umpires have forgotten more about umpiring than I'll probably ever know.  I am sure they did something to address it as you can see the Vandy manager running by and stopping, presumably to talk to the umpire about what is going on.  It just wasn't shown on TV how the umpires handled it.  I guess my angle is how would we (you) handle this if it were to happen in one of your games?  If a pitcher is walking off the mound yelling "F U" to the opposing batter, you'd have to have an ejection in a normal game wouldn't you?  Is this a situation where if only the batter and pitcher can hear it, it's not EJ worthy?  Is it just a warning on a stage such as the CWS?  

3 hours ago, zoops said:

No doubt the CWS umpires have forgotten more about umpiring than I'll probably ever know.  I am sure they did something to address it as you can see the Vandy manager running by and stopping, presumably to talk to the umpire about what is going on.  It just wasn't shown on TV how the umpires handled it.  I guess my angle is how would we (you) handle this if it were to happen in one of your games?  If a pitcher is walking off the mound yelling "F U" to the opposing batter, you'd have to have an ejection in a normal game wouldn't you?  Is this a situation where if only the batter and pitcher can hear it, it's not EJ worthy?  Is it just a warning on a stage such as the CWS?  

It's an interesting one. My guess would be that it's either an EJ or nothing. I don't think they'd even warn formally. 

Been watching a lot of the tournament and   Maybe I’m wrong but it looked to me like throughout this tournament, not just last night, that L’Ville is... let’s say  a “ mouthy bunch. “. They seemed loud and obnoxious during their game vs Mississippi St when ESPN would cut to the bench, and there were other times over the past few weeks I thought they were over the top. Maybe some of our D1 brothers would be able to shed some light on this or maybe I’m totally wrong. 

Makes me wonder how much crap was coming out of that dugout in the super regional the day their closer got ejected late in the game. 

19 hours ago, Richvee said:

Been watching a lot of the tournament and   Maybe I’m wrong but it looked to me like throughout this tournament, not just last night, that L’Ville is... let’s say  a “ mouthy bunch. “. They seemed loud and obnoxious during their game vs Mississippi St when ESPN would cut to the bench, and there were other times over the past few weeks I thought they were over the top. Maybe some of our D1 brothers would be able to shed some light on this or maybe I’m totally wrong. 

Makes me wonder how much crap was coming out of that dugout in the super regional the day their closer got ejected late in the game. 

As a spectator at a real game with them, I would concur with your conclusion.

Most teams and many times this can extend to the fans, and their whining and crying and carrying on and blaming start with HC. Just go pull up that old 2010 Big 10 tournament display with Mitch Mele and company to see the HC true deportment trends deep inside. Now, by chance, he may have tampered things down a bit in public and during the game under the perception is reality code, but underneath that same display from 2010 burns deeply and is the true person.

IMHO the teams tend to take on the personality/demeanor/style/mannerisms/deportment/sportsmanship/whining/crying/raj rahing, etc, during the game of the HC.

and of course since winning is all of life, this is what winners, look at that stellar W and L record, do (otherwise it would not be the thing to do), and everyone else not like this is a loser. Just look at Colorado brawl.

• Like 1

Agree with you guys, between this and the pitcher being ejected a few games ago, part of my heart warmed a bit when I saw Vandy's rally in the 9th to end Louisville's season.  I know just about all of these teams have their a-hole moments but they got what was coming to them.  

• Like 1

meh - maybe he's a childish prick.  And, maybe he's responding to something coming from the bench.  I've played with and against many many players at this level.  Most of them are more boys than men...and many of them don't have the intelligence justified by university enrollment.   It doesn't really change much in the pros.

I find the cameras, the mic's and the broadcasters rarely pick up, or know, what's coming from the bench, before and after a pitcher (who is the center of everyone and everything's attention) starts yapping.

They see the pitcher and judge his actions in a bubble - nobody ever seems to know what's coming from the other dugout, and for how long it's been happening, before everyone sees the pitcher do/say something.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, zoops said:

I'm pretty sure the guys on the field took the temperature of the situation and handled it the way that they saw fit.