2nd Year LL Umpire in SoCal

AngryOsito
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1500 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello everyone!

I am finishing up my second season in the Ojai Valley and have ~90 games under my belt in those 2 seasons.  This season I have the opportunity to work the D63 All-Star tournaments as well and I am thrilled about it.

I can't wait to dig through the vast amount of information on these forums to improve my skill set.

• Like 1

Welcome @AngryOsito!  Tons of great advice and rule knowledge here.  Just be aware that baseball has several rule sets, and you have to know which one you are reading about.  LL rules derive from OBR (MLB rules), but are not always the same.  You can get into trouble taking stuff you learn here onto a LL field with out corroborating with LL rules.  Other rule sets of note are Fed (high school) and NCAA.

Welcome from another So Cal LL guy! 

As mentioned, make sure you are using LL rules when enforcing plays on the field. For instance, there is no force play slide rule in LL, but we discuss it all the time for HS on this site.

If you do not have a copy of the RIM, I highly recommend obtaining one as it provides all kinds of great insight into how LL wants specific situations handled. 

Have fun out there! All Star time is upon us!

Thanks @Mudisfun!  I have not yet been "corrupted" by multiple rule sets as yet, most likely a different story next year.  

I have had a chance to look at the RIM and it has proven itself a great great resource. 

Speaking of All-Star time, I got the opportunity this year to be involved in the D63 tournaments and it has been a blast working with some very experienced umpires and then getting to pick their brains after the game.  I am even looking into attending the week long WR clinic, though I hear you gotta be quick to get into it.

36 minutes ago, AngryOsito said:

... I am even looking into attending the week long WR clinic, though I hear you gotta be quick to get into it.

Yes!  WR week long school is great and an amazing value.  Mark and company are the best!  And yes it fills up quickly.

Working the Seniors Allstar games tonight at Caruthers Park in Bellflower. District 56 vrs 29 at 5pm and then D38 vrs D30 at 730. Should be fun working this as a 4 man.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any interest in working higher level ball, be sure to contact your local HS association and start working games there next season.  I guarantee they need more umpires.

@AngryOsito just out of morbid curiosity, is your name Ted by chance?  I ask, only because Angry Osito translates to Angry Teddy Bear.  The first thing that comes to mind was Mark Wahlberg's loveable childhood/dope smoking/ womanizing teddy bear who went on an occasional rant.

• 7 months later...