Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alan D.

runner hit by fair ball

Question

Guest Alan D.

A runner is standing on third base when hit with a batted, fair ball.  What is the call?

12 answers to this question

Out, as described.  Being on the base is not a safe haven in the situation as described. 

Third base coach runs poles for letting runner be in fair territory to be hit 

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
22 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Third base coach runs polls for letting runner be in fair territory to be hit 

The third base coach needs to be an election judge, or conduct a survey? ;)

And, maybe this was a level where leadoffs are not allowed and the runner couldn't react in time, or the ball was grounded right near the base and if R3 was off the base he'd be out anyway, etc.

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

The third base coach needs to be an election judge? ;)

And, maybe this was a level where leadoffs are not allowed and the runner couldn't react in time, or the ball was grounded right near the base and if R3 was off the base he'd be out anyway, etc.

haha, fingers moving faster than my brain.

even if closed bases, R3 should be in foul territory with left foot touching the base on foul ground, runner on 3rd should always be in foul territory before the ball is batted.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

In case it matters, or if anyone cares, the runner is not out in softball (all codes I think).

@beerguy55  By my reading of the rules, in LL softball, runner is out even if on base, when hit by a fair batted ball, except in the infield fly case (LL SB 7.08 f).  The language is very similar to LL baseball rules.

• Thanks 1

Well ... this is interesting ... 

I would say the runner is not necessarily out in NFHS ...

k. is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play

First, their overuse of commas makes that whole section susceptible to reading interpretation ... does the “and” apply to all of it or just after it passes any infielder?

So ... If the third baseman is playing in front of the bag ... I have a live ball and nothing.  If you apply the “and” to the first part, you could judge the third baseman never had a play so the runner is not out.  Live ball and play on.

Curious to hear others’ thoughts on this interpretation.

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

Well ... this is interesting ... 

I would say the runner is not necessarily out in NFHS ...

k. is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play

First, their overuse of commas makes that whole section susceptible to reading interpretation ... does the “and” apply to all of it or just after it passes any infielder?

So ... If the third baseman is playing in front of the bag ... I have a live ball and nothing.  If you apply the “and” to the first part, you could judge the third baseman never had a play so the runner is not out.  Live ball and play on.

Curious to hear others’ thoughts on this interpretation.

I've always interpreted this to mean the batter is out if he is touched by the ball and he is between two infielders with a legitimate play on the ball.  Hard to be the case in the OP scenario - that would be one extreme shift!

6 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

So ... If the third baseman is playing in front of the bag ... I have a live ball and nothing.

Depends.  If the ball didn't pass F5 close enough for him to have made a play then it hasn't passed him in the rules sense.

4 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Depends.  If the ball didn't pass F5 close enough for him to have made a play then it hasn't passed him in the rules sense.

Not in FED. FED uses string theory, so if F5 is shallower than the bag, the ball passed him.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Not in FED. FED uses string theory, so if F5 is shallower than the bag, the ball passed him.

It won't happen in a FED game. All the youth leagues use OBR based rules.

4 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

It won't happen in a FED game. All the youth leagues use OBR based rules.

We were talking about FED, not the OP.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this