Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest NEbaseball

Runner Interference on Deflected Ball

Question

Guest NEbaseball

2 outs, runner on 1st. Batter hits line drive that deflects off the pitchers glove and rolls towards the 2nd baseman who has about to field the now rolling ball when he is ran over by the runner going to 2nd. Runner is called out. A couple innings later the other coach comes over and says he should have challenged the play since he said once the ball hit the pitchers glove and the 2nd baseball was fielding the ball, that the 2nd baseball was no longer protected. I've never had this situation come up before. Is he correct?

7 answers to this question

Umpire was correct.

The (one) player who is most likely to have a play on the batted ball (whether or not it was deflected by the pitcher) is protected. A runner cannot interfere with him.

Now, if he was ruled out because the ball touched him, that would be different. Once a ball touches a fielder (including the pitcher), the runner cannot be called out for being hit by that ball.

I'm sure you'll see some rule cites below, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now. :-)

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Guest NEbaseball said:

2 outs, runner on 1st. Batter hits line drive that deflects off the pitchers glove and rolls towards the 2nd baseman who has about to field the now rolling ball when he is ran over by the runner going to 2nd. Runner is called out. A couple innings later the other coach comes over and says he should have challenged the play since he said once the ball hit the pitchers glove and the 2nd baseball was fielding the ball, that the 2nd baseball was no longer protected. I've never had this situation come up before. Is he correct?

The coach would be right if the runner hit the deflected ball.   The coach is wrong because the runner hit the fielder playing the (deflected) batted ball.

Since I am in the book at the moment ... NFHS 2018 (Baseball)

Rule 8 Baserunning

SECTION 4 RUNNER IS OUT

ART. 1 . . . The batter-runner is out when:

g. intentionally interferes with a throw or a thrown ball; or he hinders a fielder on his initial attempt to field a batted ball. A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location; or his being put out is prevented by an illegal act by anyone connected with the team (2-21-1, 3-2-2, 3) or by the batter-runner; for runner returning to base (8-2-6); and for runner being hit by a batted ball (8-4-2k).

The fielder is protected on his initial play, not the initial play.  

The runner is relieved of responsibility of INT with the ball when it's deflected, but not for INT with a fielder. The runner is always responsible for contact with a protected fielder (a rare universal statement in baseball).

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

Since I am in the book at the moment ... NFHS 2018 (Baseball)

Rule 8 Baserunning

SECTION 4 RUNNER IS OUT

ART. 1 . . . The batter-runner is out when:

ART. 2...Any runner is out when he:

g. intentionally interferes with a throw or a thrown ball; or he hinders a fielder on his initial attempt to field a batted ball. A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location; or his being put out is prevented by an illegal act by anyone connected with the team (2-21-1, 3-2-2, 3) or by the batter-runner; for runner returning to base (8-2-6); and for runner being hit by a batted ball (8-4-2k).

The fielder is protected on his initial play, not the initial play.  

They added an interp in 2018 to confirm 8-4-2g. I corrected your cite above

"SITUATION 11: With R2 on second base, a grounded batted ball deflects off F1’s ankle. The ball deflects toward F5 as he moves in to field the ball and he is run over by R2. Both R2 and the batter-runner are safe. Is this interference or obstruction? RULING: This is interference and R2 will be declared out. F5 must be given the opportunity to field this batted ball on his initial attempt. The batter-runner will be awarded first base unless it is judged the interference prevented the defense from making a double play. (8-4-2g)"

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Umpire was correct.

The (one) player who is most likely to have a play on the batted ball (whether or not it was deflected by the pitcher) is protected. A runner cannot interfere with him.

Now, if he was ruled out because the ball touched him, that would be different. Once a ball touches a fielder (including the pitcher), the runner cannot be called out for being hit by that ball, unless he touches the ball intentionally.

I'm sure you'll see some rule cites below, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now. :-)

Added for clarity.

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.