Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest shawn

Appeal process on missed base on Double

Question

Guest shawn

Batter hits a double.

Defensive team calls time out to discuss appeal play.

Umpire calls play ball.  Pitcher steps off rubber throws to first base.  Umpire call runner out for missing first base.

Question, can the appeal play be done after the time out and prior to next pitch being thrown after a mound visit or not.

10 answers to this question

Yes - though they should have just stepped on first base while the play was still live - a lot easier and a lot less can go wrong.

And in high school baseball and most (all?) codes of softball a dead ball verbal appeal can also be made.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Guest shawn said:

Question, can the appeal play be done after the time out and prior to next pitch being thrown after a mound visit or not.

Yes, not only can it be done then, it must be done then (live ball, before the next pitch or play).

The mound visit is immaterial.

6 minutes ago, Guest shawn said:

Batter hits a double.

Defensive team calls time out to discuss appeal play.

Umpire calls play ball.  Pitcher steps off rubber throws to first base.  Umpire call runner out for missing first base.

Anytime before the next pitch or play (with "play) being somewhat dependent on the rules code), and before all the infielders have left fair territory (with, again, some possible variations based on code).  None of those apply.

Somewhat common to see this at youth levels where the teams aren't familiar with the appeal process and the coach want to get it right.

21 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Yes - though they should have just stepped on first base while the play was still live - a lot easier and a lot less can go wrong.

And in high school baseball and most (all?) codes of softball a dead ball verbal appeal can also be made.

Just curious why you say “easier and a lot less can go wrong” on a live ball appeal?

I was trained “always try to get a dead ball appeal”.  During a live ball appeal, other runners can still be moving, an errant throw could occur, etc.  Dead ball?  Nobody is going anywhere no matter what.

6 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Just curious why you say “easier and a lot less can go wrong” on a live ball appeal?

I was trained “always try to get a dead ball appeal”.  During a live ball appeal, other runners can still be moving, an errant throw could occur, etc.  Dead ball?  Nobody is going anywhere no matter what.

A "deaad ball appeal" can happen only in FED -- and relatively few of those who post in this section are using FED rules.

11 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

What I mean is the process of doing the formal appeal from the pitcher, after the ball is made live...you can't make an appeal during a deal ball (except for the verbal exceptions I noted above).   Yes, in those scenarios, if you can make verbal appeals - much easier...but, of course, the umpire doesn't have to grant you time, does he?  So there's no guarantee you'll get a dead ball.  My response was operating on the assumption that dead ball verbal appeals weren't allowed, since in the OP they got time, ball was dead, and then they didn't make the appeal until after the ball went live again - a la OBR set.  There are a lot easier ways to make the appeal.

Typically speaking, an infielder gets the ball and all action has been relaxed, but the play is still live.   No runner is going to move...just go over and step on the base the runner missed while the play is live.  That is by far the easiest way to appeal a missed base/left early.  

If you wait for the play to be called dead, then the pitcher gets the ball, then the ball is made live, then the pitcher has to step off and throw to the base in question - if the pitcher balks, no appeal allowed.  If the pitcher gets distracted by another runner and goes after them (depending on rule set), no appeal.  If the pitcher throws the ball away other runners can advance and score.  If they make a play on those runners they may not be able to appeal any more.

Just step on the base.

17 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

If you wait for the play to be called dead, then the pitcher gets the ball, then the ball is made live, then the pitcher has to step off

No, he doesn't.

Gotcha’.  Admittedly, I was in a softball mindset so I was a little puzzled.

Fed is the only baseball I do, so I’m not familiar with the other alphabets.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this