Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
KrazyRay

3rd Base Stolen on a HBP

Question

Little League juniors TOC game. R2 has a huge jump on steeling 3rd base. He is about 10 feet away from 3rd when the batter is hit by pitch. PU ruled dead ball, batter awarded 1st and R2 given 3rd because he was over half way there. My team is on defense. I argued, unsuccessfully, that R2 should return to 2nd because it was a dead ball. What is the correct call? Thanks

9 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

No I did not as my team was being clobbered by the other team and I wanted to show sportsmanship in a game we could not win. 

An HBP causes an immediate dead ball. And here is the relevant rule from the 2018 Little League rule book--

5.09 - The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases without liability to be put out, when

(a) a pitched ball touches a batter, or the batter’s clothing, while in a legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance (see Rule 6.08)

How is agreeing with an incorrect call "showing sportsmanship"?

You knew the call was wrong, you should have Protested. At that point the umps would get together to discuss the ruling and hopefully one of them would have gotten the call corrected.

Hopefully the ump learns something.

14 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

Delayed dead ball, no runners may advance unless forced.  You were right.  Did you protest?

No delay — immediate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

An HBP causes an immediate dead ball. And here is the relevant rule from the 2018 Little League rule book--

5.09 - The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases without liability to be put out, when

(a) a pitched ball touches a batter, or the batter’s clothing, while in a legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance (see Rule 6.08)

That does read kind of funky ... 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:45 PM, KrazyRay said:

No I did not as my team was being clobbered by the other team and I wanted to show sportsmanship in a game we could not win. 

I see the point (especially if the protest procedure is to go to a committee a day or two later), but all you're doing is kicking the can down the road.  You protest now and it gets resolved now and (hopefully) the ump learns and gets the call right next time...when it does matter.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this