Shot to Chest Protector - Schutt/Adams XV-HDX

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1788 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I took my first real shot to my Schutt/Adams XV-HDX, and it surprisingly lightly stung me for a second. Nothing serious, but this was an 11U game (was

supposed to have a 14U and got switched at the last second, and after 6 rainouts this week already I was happy to get anything), and the pitcher wasn't throwing that hard (can't even 

guess the speed, but decent for an 11 year old from what I've seen).  Foul ball was straight to the middle of my chest.  Is this anything to worry about?  I have HS level games tomorrow, and 

I was thinking if a 50-60 mph foul stung what's a 80-90+ one going to feel like, but I know some of you use this CP for college and minor-league level ball.  Thoughts?

How tight did you have it to your chest? The foam should be nice and snug up against your undershirt so there's no "slop" in the fit when you get smacked with one.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Could have just hit in that perfect storm spot.

I’m betting that.  Protective gear is there to take the bite out of it, not to ensure you never feel anything.

MikeSafari May have a point also, do you have it properly fitted?  I see plenty of players and umpires wearing safety equipment but not wearing it properly.

Not sure of your positioning, but a suggestion is to work the slot and angle your body slightly, do not sit square to the pitch.  That generally allows the ball to continue moving after it hits you, thus not all of the energy is taken by you.  (I may be stating the obvious, so forgive me.)

• Like 1

How tight did you have it to your chest? The foam should be nice and snug up against your undershirt so there's no "slop" in the fit when you get smacked with one.

I agree with [mention=3199]mikesafari[/mention] on the fit. I have a Force 3 V2 along with the Schutt/Adams HDX. I have never had a sting from a ball with the Adams. My reasoning is it fits my chest like an extra layer of skin. My Force 3 V2 on the other hand I have felt a lot more than I would have liked to feel. The reason on the Force 3 in my opinion is the fit. I can not get it to fit against my chest like the Adams. Each of the chest protectors have UmpLife harnesses on them as well. The Adams is now my go to for any level of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Generally I have it snug, but I do think it was a little looser yesterday. I appreciate all the comments. I took a really hard foul off the shoulder in a HS-age game today and didn't feel anything other than the pads moving. The funny thing was that it was LOUD. Everyone wanted me to take time to be sure was okay but it was nothing. I do work the slot, but it's always a good reminder, especially to angle the body slightly. 

I feel much safer now after feeling nothing today, of course it was a different place, not dead center. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

This is just my unscientific opinion, but the shots that look and sound the worst are usually not that bad.  You want the energy from the ball to be dispersed in other ways — loud bangs, spinning your mask off, etc.  It’s the “quiet” shots that die when they hit you that are the worst.  That means all of the energy is being directed in one direction — straight back into the impact point on you.

• Like 5

I have a 20+ year old +POS BB2200 Body Armour and I love it. I love the fit and I do not feel a thing when getting hit in the chest. I feel it in spots were I am not covered well but were I have coverage I fell nothing. Best investment I ever made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pat_sully said:

I have a 20+ year old +POS BB2200 Body Armour and I love it. I love the fit and I do not feel a thing when getting hit in the chest. I feel it in spots were I am not covered well but were I have coverage I fell nothing. Best investment I ever made.

Good to hear and I loved the way you landed that plane.  Awesome.

• Haha 2

On 5/31/2019 at 11:24 PM, Rock Bottom said:

I was thinking if a 50-60 mph foul stung what's a 80-90+ one going to feel like, but I know some of you use this CP for college and minor-league level ball.  Thoughts?

You have nothing to worry about. Of the ten Vultures who routinely face down 85+ MPH, three wear a Schutt/Adams XV (including the “most important” one – me :D ), and not one of us has been injured in the shoulders, chest, or torso while wearing it. And this spans 3 years. Curiously, three of the Vultures wear the Force3 UnEqual (2 V2’s and 1 V3), while 2 wear Golds and 2 wear Platinums, and none of us has had a shoulder, chest, or torso injury.

The primary factor to this success is just what @MikeSafari and @rjdakin mentioned – the attention to fit. The CP, whatever it is, must be worn snugly, with as minimal of gap between the body and the CP as possible. This is why the Schutt is so appealing – it is the lightest and best ventilated CP of the entire hardshell class.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, Rock Bottom said:

The funny thing was that it was LOUD. Everyone wanted me to take time to be sure was okay but it was nothing.

It’s one of the endearing features about it. I’ve noticed that when we Schutt-wearing Vultures get hit, everyone knows it, and remark at how loud it was. That it must have been quite a shot. By contrast, the Force3-wearing Vultures get no notice or care, because the thing is so darned quiet.

• Like 1