What could PU have done differently?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Try to get on to the 1b side of the plate or adjust back to the point of the plate as F2 comes passed the plate.

I don't think going to 1B side is a viable option. He's just as likely to have the same problem if either the catcher or runner go to the opposite side they did. Point of the plate may help get the angle, but I don't know if there would have been time to recognize that, move that way, and be ready for the call.

I don't think there's anything he could have done differently without the benefit of hindsight. Maybe backed up a bit to give him some room to follow the catcher?

Wedge it. In this case staying on the right hip of F2. 

By staying on F2s hip as he rotates, the play opens up in front of PU. It is likely that the call would have been made from 3BLX, but not because that's where he "should" have been. It's where the rotation would take him.

6 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

By staying on F2s hip as he rotates, the play opens up in front of PU. It is likely that the call would have been made from 3BLX, but not because that's where he "should" have been. It's where the rotation would take him.

As much as I love the wedge, I don't see it being an intentional option here. You have a catcher running in one direction and needing space to move. That's why I mentioned backing up--he may be able to slide a bit with the run and get into close to what a wedge would do.

I think if he would have stayed at the point, or closer to there, he could have put himself in a better position, perhaps even 3BLX to see the critical action of the play. At the 5 second mark in the video he would have had to make an aggressive move in the direction of the LH batter's box. The risk here is if you're not fast enough, you're going to cross the path of F2s throw (not in this case due to no F1). 

Tough play. Sometimes we just can't get to the ideal spot and we have to do the best we can. 

Nice clip. 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Also keep in mind that F2 screwed this play up. There's no reason he needed to go up the line. I'm guessing PU made the educated guess that F2 was going to do what he should have, blocking the plate and letting the runner come to him. 

What are you talking about?  The errant throw from the first baseman to the pitcher is what took F2 to where he was.  The catcher was standing at home plate until after the ball got past the pitcher.  He had to move there to get the ball.  As far as the umpire goes, I think he's keeping his eyes on the pulled foot, swipe tag, RLI type things and he did the best he could.  People are claiming he should have gone 3BLX.  That catcher would have crushed him.  I wouldn't get between that catcher and the plate at this point. That was like a linebacker coming at him. OUCH!

9 hours ago, umpstu said:

What are you talking about?  The errant throw from the first baseman to the pitcher is what took F2 to where he was.  The catcher was standing at home plate until after the ball got past the pitcher.  He had to move there to get the ball.  As far as the umpire goes, I think he's keeping his eyes on the pulled foot, swipe tag, RLI type things and he did the best he could.  People are claiming he should have gone 3BLX.  That catcher would have crushed him.  I wouldn't get between that catcher and the plate at this point. That was like a linebacker coming at him. OUCH!

The catcher didn't need to come up past the plate to dive at the runner. All he had to do is beat the runner the to the plate and maintain his ground. If he had done that, PU is right where he would have needed to be.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The catcher didn't need to come up past the plate to dive at the runner. All he had to do is beat the runner the to the plate and maintain his ground. If he had done that, PU is right where he would have needed to be.

I'm thinking he dove because he's a catcher and the runner is a leadoff batter.  Speed difference.  And probably didn't think a guy would be coming home from second base and may have caught him a little bit by surprise.  

On 5/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, Kevin_K said:

Don't know that wedge is going to work too well in this situation, given a charging F2 and the last second spin he made. If you were in his back pocket as he came up, you'd still be blocked from the tag attempt.

This is one that every one of those umpires armchaired after the game and might even show up on some training videos. I don't know that Diaz had anywhere he could have gone once he saw what was developing. He did the best he could, and this is one of those situations that we're glad replay is an option.

In most instances when the ball is behind the plate and there is a potential play, I make every effort to get  to the 1B side of home plate to make sure that I can get on the hip of whichever fielder is covering as the ball makes its way to the plate.

When Marquez made the decision to step to his left as the ball flew by, he prevented himself from being in an optimal position. Had he stayed where he was when F3 fielded and threw the ball, he would have been on F2's right hip with a much better view as the play at HP developed.

I know I am not nearly the umpire any of these guys are, I think this one, however, may have been averted by less movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar thing happen in a game only about a week ago.. I saw this post, so when it started to develop in my situation, I decided to give the catcher the 3rdBLX extended to hustle back, and  to NOT go to 1stBLX, but instead to pick up the action at point of plate. When the tag went to about the same place this tag attempt went I crept up to the plate a tried to look down on the play. My catcher was "closer to" the plate at the critical moment (did not really go up the 3BL) and actually behind it a little, so there was a clear path for the sliding runner to maybe get his hand in there.. and he slid outside towards the mound side the same way as in this video EXCEPT he slid head first..

AND, it was still a tough one, even from my "almost above the action" view, and I decided the tag was made before the hand got the plate... I banged him out with a big sell, and stood my ground for a few seconds, to really sell it.. And I guess i got it right, or at least sold it enough, because nobody came out to argue, the fans/parents in the seats behind the backstop did not protest all that much, and the runner himself didn't put up a fight..

So i don't know if I got that much better of a look from point of plate and back pocket, to tell you the truth...

Edited by BobUmp
My runner slid head first