Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Phu Bai

Don't Ask me again!

I was the coach of an under 16 sandlot team. Games were using 1 man crew.  Got to know the umpires by name after a few years (the ones that lasted).
One particuliar game, one out, runner on first. Batter hits a long drive to left center, runner from first going on the pitch, centerfielder makes a great running grab.
Runner from first has rounded second a few steps , sees that ball has been caught and makes a beeline for first base, doesn't retouch second.
Ball is returned to pitcher, I yell to the umpire "Stanley, did you see that?"...he just glares at me. I tell my pitcher to toe the rubber, step off and appeal to second.
Umpire calls the runner out.
After the game the umpire comes over to me and says "Don't ever ask me a question again, and don't call me Stanley"

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Interesting. I can see being a bit miffed on the yelling across a field, but everything else seems normal to me.

I make it a point to use the first names of coaches and catchers and find it respectful when either does the same to me. I don't mind questions, either. But yelling at me might elicit the same look, but not the same comment.

I'd be interested in knowing what Stanley the umpire wants to be called.

from the outside looking in, I could see from the Umpires view point, your calling him like that could impart a sense of familiarity that could raise the hackles of the opposing coach.

35 minutes ago, stkjock said:

from the outside looking in, I could see from the Umpires view point, your calling him like that could impart a sense of familiarity that could raise the hackles of the opposing coach.

From the inside looking where I'm standing, both coaches know my name at the plate meeting. If one elects to remember it, that's not "familiarity".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phu Bai said:

After the game the umpire comes over to me and says "Don't ever ask me a question again, and don't call me Stanley"

Perhaps his name is really Ernie?

53 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Perhaps his name is really Ernie?

I was thinking Steven or Billy.

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

...............and don't call me Shirley..........

Surely you can't be serious?

7 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Surely you can't be serious?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.

I would have just said, Mr. Umpire, we would like to make an appeal.

Then make the appeal.

I would never say, did you see that? He cannot answer that question anyway, as that would be getting into the coaching aspect (forget about the late John McSherry video with Lasorda). Also, that line could be said in a tone/inflection/inference of voice that is accusatory/condesending/needling/your an idiot and blind and incompetent if you did not/buddies from High School etc, rather than harmless. 

This type of line used in the OP usually goes with a coach who always has a question (can't  I ask a question) or always wants a second opinion for everything in a 2 man crew in games I have attended.