Don't Ask me again!

Phu Bai
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1771 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was the coach of an under 16 sandlot team. Games were using 1 man crew.  Got to know the umpires by name after a few years (the ones that lasted).
One particuliar game, one out, runner on first. Batter hits a long drive to left center, runner from first going on the pitch, centerfielder makes a great running grab.
Runner from first has rounded second a few steps , sees that ball has been caught and makes a beeline for first base, doesn't retouch second.
Ball is returned to pitcher, I yell to the umpire "Stanley, did you see that?"...he just glares at me. I tell my pitcher to toe the rubber, step off and appeal to second.
Umpire calls the runner out.
After the game the umpire comes over to me and says "Don't ever ask me a question again, and don't call me Stanley"

Interesting. I can see being a bit miffed on the yelling across a field, but everything else seems normal to me.

I make it a point to use the first names of coaches and catchers and find it respectful when either does the same to me. I don't mind questions, either. But yelling at me might elicit the same look, but not the same comment.

I'd be interested in knowing what Stanley the umpire wants to be called.

from the outside looking in, I could see from the Umpires view point, your calling him like that could impart a sense of familiarity that could raise the hackles of the opposing coach.

35 minutes ago, stkjock said:

from the outside looking in, I could see from the Umpires view point, your calling him like that could impart a sense of familiarity that could raise the hackles of the opposing coach.

From the inside looking where I'm standing, both coaches know my name at the plate meeting. If one elects to remember it, that's not "familiarity".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phu Bai said:

After the game the umpire comes over to me and says "Don't ever ask me a question again, and don't call me Stanley"

Perhaps his name is really Ernie?