Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Big Dawg

3 man

Question

Guest Big Dawg

3 man, Federation.  Bases empty, no outs.  U1 in A, U3 in D about 15-18 feet behind 3B on the line.  Hard one hopper down the line.  One bounce about 1 foot fair half way down the line then over the outside corner of the bag.  U3 waits on it and signals fair.  Ball is now traveling towards out of play (PU responsibility) LF picks it up about ten feet into foul territory.  U3 does not break in.  Stays deep on the line.  U1 reacts late and ends up following BR into 2nd base.  U1 is not happy with U3.    CCA manual doesn't really cover this as far as I can tell.  

Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

I think we have a missed rotation. U1 should get over the fact he had to run an extra 90 feet and be more observant of his partners next time. U3 should make sure he reacts quicker after making a great fair/foul call and, should the opportunity present itself, buy a beer for U1 after the game.

PU should signal that he's staying home as the next batter approaches the plate for his time at bat.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

With no one on, and both wings (Base Umpires) at their IPs on the wings (lines), then... at the ball being hit into play...

1. Unless the ball is hit right at him, U3’s first thing to do is Move.
  2. Unless the ball is hit right at him, U1’s first thing to do is Read.

So, in this play, the ball is hit directly at U3, and he must judge Fair/Foul, so that takes priority over his Moving. As such, U1 must Read if U3’s staying put over there (on the ball), and should – without bitching about it – come in on a dash-&-glance (or pivot, if you will).

This U1 cannot simply stay at 1B, or expect this to be a Rotation. As soon as U3 stays where he is, or goes out from there, any Rotation is OFF and we revert to 2-Man. A sharp PU will recognize this and call out to his U1 that 2-man is ON (“2-man! We’re in 2-man Frankie!”). The point is, U1 isn’t, or shouldn’t be, reading the ball simply because it’s not hit to his area of coverage! Instead, he’s reading, or should be reading, his partner U3!!!

Got it?

Okay, so building off this, a lot of U1’s get themselves into trouble and also make 3-man umpire movements look awkward because they don’t Read first. Conversely, they react first, thinking that everything is 2-man, either forgetting that they have an AoC in the outfield to go out on, or that they have a U3 partner who has his own AoC and set of responsibilities that he executes on the Move.

5 hours ago, Guest Big Dawg said:

U3 waits on it and signals fair.  Ball is now traveling towards out of play (PU responsibility) LF picks it up about ten feet into foul territory.

This is wrong. With both Base Umpires at their wing/line positions, they have Fair/Foul on their respective line and must stay on a ball that potentially could go into DBT in their “zone”. 

Now, if U3 “forgets” about potential DBT, and signals Fair and dashes in towards 2B (in other words, a routine movement), then PU could observe the ball threatening DBT while he’s on the move to 3B as part of the Rotation. U1 should this time Read that U3 has dashed in, and then U1 will sink, observe BR’s touch of 1B, then enact the Rotation – call “Rotate! Rotate!” and move to Home Plate. In this case, again, it is crucial that U1 – and to some extent, PU – Read U3. 

Oh, and if I didn’t mention it before, U1 should quit griping.

I would also consider U3 getting held up on the line like this the same as if he went out on the catch/no catch to F7. U1 should be a better teammate and stop bitching.

I've seen this exact situation happen with a 3 man Division 1 crew. Mind you, this was a field that there was not a lot of "trouble" possible down the LF line, no openings etc. Hot shot, U3 rules fair and keeps his eyes down the line while walking backwards to cover third in event of a triple. U1 rimmed outside and took B/R into second. I posted about this play when it happened, and was told it was an advanced mechanic. 

2 hours ago, Gfoley4 said:

I've seen this exact situation happen with a 3 man Division 1 crew. Mind you, this was a field that there was not a lot of "trouble" possible down the LF line, no openings etc. Hot shot, U3 rules fair and keeps his eyes down the line while walking backwards to cover third in event of a triple. U1 rimmed outside and took B/R into second. I posted about this play when it happened, and was told it was an advanced mechanic. 

Yep. With the advent of the wedge, a lot of us prefer to take throws on a potential tag play 180 degrees from where they originate. U1 staying outside is easier and puts them at that angle. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.